Starting to break up

Week 2 of miles with Daz and it starts with 8.5 @ 7:39/mm.

Firstly, why is every route I plan in my head almost exactly 8.5 miles ??

Secondly, feels much better to shift along 20 secs mile faster than last few days.  This was same effort as the other runs and it was bloody windy out there!


Running miles

Interesting (for me looking back at my online log) I've always considered myself - back in the day - a marathon runner who puts in plenty of miles.

I have put in 20 months in 10 years & 6 months that I have logged training.  That's 20 out of 126 possible months.  Mental, I've actually logged many more sub 100 months. To be fair I did triathlon but less than 50 miles per week seems low for running marathons.

Only managed 8 months over 250 miles too - or 56 miles per week.  Bonkers !

Anyways, the run streak of miles is underway.  


How's it going

Mentally I am good.  I'm happy to get out and run easy and free.  I am at that stage where I think I want to start experimenting with pace.  One thing running solo - and it's a problem for a lot of people - is that you don't get to do miles that are too easy or too hard!

It's far too easy to just 'plod' - that has a place, certainly for me general easy running is a great way to get miles in.  The problem I have right now is that if I had to run say 6.30/mm for 7 or 8 miles it would probably be more mentally exhausting than physically.

So I am going to try and put some seriously easy miles in to help recover and refresh.  The hope is that I can feel like I can bang out a second run on the treadmill as doubling is the easiest way to hit numbers.

Going hard - I feel like I don't really need to right now, possibly after a rest day would be wise just to stretch the legs but again keep it in check.

Physically my foot is cunted.  To be blunt.  It's sore and aches and takes ice, stretching, rolling and rehab to get it back for another day.  It feels like it could give out but then again it's not so far.  It's just fucking annoying.  If it clears up I think I'll be able to push on.

Everything else physically is holding up.  My back and quads ache a little but nothing to be concerned with.


How deep

Really, I need to get to 70 miles per week.  If I can start doubling from this start point it'll be a piece of piss.  I'll start to look at getting 10-12 mile runs in and that will push up.  With treadmill doubles I could get to 70 and still rest.  I don't think there's any benefit to getting over 70 a week, not for a good while yet.  40 per week with 3 x Q sessions last year off no base gave my roughly 16.3x for 5k shape.  ~40% extra time should give a decent return.


What next

Just need to monitor the foot situation.  If it can get trouble free then I don't have anything else to worry about really - well a full lockdown will be a pain as will no racing for 12 months - but as we stand things are pretty good rolling the dice with a single problem.

Tomorrow if the foot isn't close to 100% I may cut short and aim to double so I'll have to head out the door early with a contingency but I will sack the pace right off to 9/mm just to see if that helps things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block