Summer 26 - The Reboot of a Masters Season
Day 0
Just coming up to 6 weeks of problems behind me and it finally feels like I can reset this journey back on the right path.
Parkrun on Saturday showed me that I am a decent bit away from conditioning (the last mile was pretty much a struggle fest) but the good news was tat my hips and my calf held together at the pace point they have struggled at.
After that I had a stag doo to attend so I sit here typing this with a pretty good (although not terminal) hangover.
There is no time to waste now. I have to align everything to even get back where I was previously.
The data looks like this - 3.12mi - 18:42(5:59/mi) 158/169bpm [946b/mi]. Splits were pretty consistent. Maybe slight fade in the last mile but was actually paced well. 158 bpm for 6/mm is actually in the right place BUT the 168 max is very, very high showing that the last mile was almost at full race effort. No warm up, in Megablast and off no training so it's to be expected.
Compare to pre-injuries and data was 3.1mi - 18:19(5:55/mi) 157/164bpm [928b/mi] which I did after an hour easy.
So ... have not lost a truck load of fitness. Lot of conditioning but not actually miles off where I was.
All staying well, the plan is to ease back into training. Start getting into sessions and hit all my other goals.
Day 1
Weigh in 67kg.
10 st 7 lbs. Post brekky and coffee so slightly less but that is mainly the effects of a days drinking on the body.
I actually think I can drop that to sub 66 by tomorrow.
Today I need to get back into the good habits routine. If (and I do mean IF) I am on the road to recovery then I really need to dial in to the things around running. I know myself so I don't want to be an obsessed boring c*/t haha so I am going to open things up to live a little more outside of running. BUT not to become a piss head again.
I'll set myself daily tasks and work through.
First - hit the golf range, I'm finding golf good for mobility on the spine tbf.
Then I need to run. I'll dial it up to 6 miles today which is a gentle progression. I'll keep the HR nice and low - 135 ish and I might venture out to run somewhere flat.
Run wise this week I want to get back into just running. I may switch up to drop a very relaxed LT1 session whilst I am in Valencia or possibly just tempo the 10k route but I just want to get the body used to running again after last weeks reset.
I'll work my way through the rehab. I have lost focus on the achillies work so it's critical I do the achillies rehab work, then layer on the calf work and hopefully progress to some light plo work. Basically just focus on my curent rehab load and then also do some lighter glute work to start asissting the hip.
In an ideal world, next week I'll return to a 'proper' training set up. My body weight will be down to 64kg and I'll not have the aches and pains I currently experience.
Big ask hey !
Now I have reset, I really don't have a plan in terms of racing. Track I know is just gone. No danger of travelling to Mid Cheshire. Might do the 5k on the 8th August just to see where I am really at. Westminster mile I really REALLY want to be fit for but I'm unable to say right now if I can actually get there ready to hit it.
Ran today and ran waay too hard. Was a bit of a struggle by the end, lack of conditioning is biting really hard when I get towards the end of the run.
6.28 miles @ 7.08/mm @ 146 bpm (but stopped several times).
Actually moving quite well.
Off to Vallencia tomorrow so will just run easy out there and eye up the 10k route.
Plan this week will be to do Parklong on Saturday and miles at threshold Sunday and ideally be in 40-45 range by the end of the week. Tomorrow and Friday will be rest days.
I'll drop a lot of the rehab work because I'm just on holiday and it's not that deep. Hope it doesn't affect things but I am keen to crack on with plyos soon.
Day 2 - Day 5
Vallencia baby! Weigh in 66.2 kg on the morning. Badically, ran 8.5 miles on the Wednesday relaxed, HR pushing at the end. 6.5 on the Thursday, Jacob was absolutely screwed so we ran like 9.20 pace haha. Back Friday and rested up. Great trip. Ate some amazing sea food. Drank a few GF beers and back home feeling mentally refreshed but the body took a hammering with a LOT of walking every day !!
Day 6
The routine continues. Park-long with Dan. 2.6 miles warm up. 19.08 @ Buggys Parky and then 6.9 easy to finish up. 12.68 miles banked. Parkrun got te Hr up again. 164 bpm by the finish at 6.08 pace is shit but it was warm. Wore the new Pumas and they're OK. Obvs not race worthy. I'll assess in a pair of R3's next Friday with a proper hit out.
Feel OK today. Hips tight. Restarted the strength / rehab routine. Hops over wickets. Legs over hurdles. Depth jumps and power jumps. Added some bridges and clams and did the calf work. Decent workout circuit and I need to keep these going.
Slight ache in the hips today but to be expected after a long run. Tomorrow will be the acid test as I try the 6 x mile session but I will do off 90 to give myself chances to stay under control.
If that works I'll be well and truly on the home stretch to rehab and looking at getting fit again. When I race next in anger I'll need good conditions.
Day 7
Wow, wake up and legs are smashed to bits. Attempt the session anyways. Plan was 6 x mile off 90 (extra recovery) but ended up as 4. Legs are in an absolutely terrible state.
Reps go 6.15, 6.12, 6.08, 6.07 so mildly progressive. HR is actually not bad considering but I am struggle for forward momentum. Last few weeks I think the issue has been pushing too much too soon so I will back off the intensity and plyos work until the legs start to recover.
Hips still ache but it's improving.
Right calf was tight but I think that was a general thing from the rehab work. First session in 6 weeks, that's crazy. Averaged 33 miles per week since it kicked off. 7 weeks and fingers crossed I am on the return path now.
Averaging 45.7 miles per week for the year. Need to average 56.3 per week for the rest of the year to crack 50 miles average for 2026 :/
Comments
Post a Comment