Back into the groove

So the dust has settled on Zurich. Think I'm starting to bore people with with it all now!

Really happy to have done it, didn't go to plan but a race that lasts 12 hours is never likely to. Feel good about toughing it out but now I'm getting itchy feet to get some good performances in before the end of the year. All things being equal at the very worst I should be going into winter in fairly decent shape.

Anyone who trains with me will know that Frostbite season I am generally in horrendous condition by the season's opener in Priory Park, apart from an 11th place in 2010 I'm usually outside top 30, then in top 10 by March. This year I'm hoping to start the winter in decent shape and just get stronger rather than look to get some speed from somewhere which is how it normally goes.

This year with my key race done early and my 2 week family holiday coming up on Sunday, I should be back into the swing of things by September and ready to put in some serious base. 2 big races for me are the Anglian qualifier at Grafham Water run by my new club NiceTri, and the Stow Half Ironman (or middle distance for legal reasons). Once holiday is out of the way (I'll be sea swimming daily), I'll get back into the running fairly rapidly and fingers crossed I won't loose too much bike fitness in 2 weeks out of the saddle.

So, after 3 days off last week the legs felt not too bad and by Thursday I quite fancied getting involved in the club TT over Abbo. Wanted to test the legs out a bit but more importantly get out and see the lads for the craic. Cycled over with Ian and Mark. Felt OK but was bloody windy. Come race time, I started 1 off the back. For some reason they keep putting me after Chris Ritchie who slaughters me every time we race!

Started OK, good follow wind to the turn. Really tapped back and averaged 26.6 by the silos which is way faster than I've ever gone before. Turn into the wind and really work up the hill past the golf club. All the way to Tetworth it's 21-22 really working hard. Turner takes me before half way, even he said he struggled up that bit. Tetworth was shocking - no surprise - and once I hit the turn I had to ease back to recover. Wooden bridge to home is basically hit 30mph as much as poss. Took the turns well and smashed the downhill. Got average back up but the last turn home the legs flooded and I finished in 27.25 which is 8 secs of PB and good for 3rd on the night behind Ian and Chris so pretty good ride all things considered.

Ride back slow and it's 30 miles in the bank.

Friday took the ride option again with Kye and Lee. 37 miles nice and easy with a couple of absolute bonkers paced sections (30mph+) for a few miles with the wind behind and a good bit of banter.

Saturday hit the Peetybarrow parkrun for it's debut. Good to have Rich, Chris and Ian out with Chris still waiting to pop his sub 17 cherry. Am sure he'll smash that next time. Long story short I plodded round in an even paced 18.19 for 10th place. Happy with that as I was reeling off 12 and 13 minute miles last Sunday lol.

Beers & curry Saturday night with DC meant a late text to Ian to blow out Sunday and a rest day for me which was probably sensible after 3 races in 7 days.

Today just plodded a 45 min recovery spin on the turbo. The irony of pulling my calf at a 5k park run is not lost on me after what I've been up to. Hopefully heal tomorrow as I'm planning a steady 10 with Dan and start looking to nail that 75 half marathon this year finally.

Wednesday I'm swimming and riding with Nice Tri for my club session debut. Will be nice to meet the gang. Unfortunately out with work Thursday so no TT so for the rest of the week it'll be just doing whatever before holiday and then I'll be a front pack swimmer after 14 days of splashing about in my armbands!

Main thing after that is to get my M-Dot tattoo sorted :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block