2013 What a Year...

Wow, looks like every blog title recently is starting 'been a while since I blogged...'

Looking back I have to be really proud of 2013. First triathlon, first Ironman, first run race win (since 1999) and first TT win, no major injuries, the list is pretty good. Lets not get carried away, I'm not exactly writing headlines like Mr T and Rich H BUT as someone who usually finishes every year with a tinge of disapointment, 2013 has to be my most consistent year.

Lets start with some stats -

Running - 1,487 miles in 184 hours Swimming - 101 miles in 63 hours Biking - 4,553 miles in 246 hours

For a total of 505 hours of training (or 3 weeks continuous). Biggest bike, swim and total hours by a long way. Considering that, run wasn't too shabby either.

Looking back, there was so much that happened in 2013, I think to break it down of what I was happiest with and then dissapointed with. Kind of a good, bad and ugly blog!!

The Good.

Ironman - I am an Ironman. End of.

Triathlete - I did my first Triathlon in 2013! A big learning curve from being a total novice and not even knowing what to take into transition to feeling like an old hand at my last event at Stowe.

Being competitive - at Outlaw I had a shocking swim, t1 & t2 but a really good bike for me (22mph avge) and a top 10 run split (1:27.13). Showed I had potential. Favorite race though was Anglian Standard Qualifier. Everything was good. 26.20 swim, 1:00.20 bike and 37.50 run. Another year improving and I know I'll go quicker. A good start to my tri career but lots of potential for 2014!

Park Run - 3 x a winner! Didn't run a sub 17 as expected but 2 x 17.13 around Ferry Meadows and a bunch of sub 17.30s along with a 78.03 half gave a decent run year considering I started with a poor county XC and a decent 28.13 Frostbite in Jan. Calf problem after Cambs Half but really consistent run year.

Time Trials - 2 x a winner! Really, really enjoyed TTs this year. First one at Ely went wrong way then did a 2 up with Tom and was awful but once abbo started I was flying. Also got a 63.07 on a sporting course for a 25 and know I can nail a 59 on a flat course in 2014.

Swimming - after Ironman my swim picked up, beyond recognition. 400 TT down from 7.08 to 6.09 in 3 months and knocking out reps in 1.30s pretty comfortably. In 2014 swim will be my secret weapon.

Peterborough Half - expecting to be 1.19.xx and cruised to a 1:18 low feeling good.

The Bad

Ironman. Did not go to plan, a bad day started with a shocking non wetsuit swim. Woefully underprepared for the bike nutritionally and the run was just blown in the heat. Gutted the biggest day of the year didn't go to plan but got it done. Very, VERY hard to be competitive over 226 miles.

Paris Marathon. Jesus, 2:56 looks comfortable but the way my calves exploded at 16 miles sub 3 was a huge ask. Knew I hadn't done enough running before the race and 6.2x pace felt too hard early doors. Tough race and dissapointed it didn't happen.

Running spent all season in pretty good shape but never really kicked on to the faster times that I wanted to. All base but too many low weeks. Avge of 30 ish miles per week simply not enough. Will address this in 2014

The Ugly

County XC - wow first race of the year, in bad run form = 6.23 pace with a couple of 7s in there. Shocking performance.

Ashman Trophy - first bike crash. Overcooked turn 1 on 2nd lap, wrong angle into corner carrying too much speed, hit front brake and flipped onto head. Ouch. Lesson learned and bike was unscratched.

Outlaw T1 - couldn't get out of wetsuit. Commentator said I was having a cup of tea!

So there's my best season laid bare. Moving into 2014 in very good swim shape, poor bike shape and decent run shape.

Plan is to build a big base month in Jan with some decent volume of bike, big volume of run and faster swims hitting session targets. No races but may turn out to a Park Run to assist Rich H with some pacemaking.

So what's in store for Daz Man in 2014. 2013 was all about learning my trade, I've served my apprenticeship and learned from some good guys. There really is no excuse not to be competitive at the top end of my age group in all races this year.

First big targets are the stand out run ones - sub 34, 75 & 2.45 for 10k, half & full. Really isn't any reason I shouldn't have them in the bag by the time London comes around (I've said that before). I have a great run base and time to start introducing tempo work into the mix now. Big miles + tickle the speed work = fast times for me.

Bike is huge in 2014, I made a great start to things last year and this year I have to push on. 23 mph bike splits for half iron will give me a great chance. Have a problem getting on the bike in the cold so I have to push myself to get out in Jan and Feb and keep the miles respectable to have a chance.

Swim is going to be my secret weapon. 1.30 pace has got to feel comfortable in the pool. I'm working hard and 3/4 swims per week is my sweet spot. Working with Adam @ Greenlight to get the times down and if I can be a 5.30 400m swimmer I think I'm looking back of the front pack in the swims.

I'm not going to shout about race expectations, I want to be competitive and 2014 is all about hard work!

Good luck everyone, see you out there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block