Marathon Season is Here !!

Every year I get to mid March and curse entering the London Marathon. Don't get me wrong, it's such a great day and it's a privilege to be able to get a GFA place every year. However, the long, cold lonely miles of Jan-March feel a million miles from running down the embankment in the sun with millions of cheering people putting as much effort into support as you do the race.

Once the race is over and I'm in the pub enjoying a celebratory shandy or 3 I am buzzing again and so happy I did it, ready to push on with the season. London is always my signal that the season is ready to go and summer is finally here.

This year has been a little different, I am feeling fresh and raring to go. The long runs I've really held back on the pace and my base fitness is bang on. I've agreed to run with my buddy Dan & Mike Moore at 2.49 pace which although is pb pace feels well within my reach at the moment.

The other big factor is I am now powered by @jackoatbar. Nutrition has always been a bad point for me (kebabs & Macdonalds are not ideal triathlon fuel!) A bar before and after running and a couple of bars on a ride make all the difference.

I've also upped my game on compression and started using @110playharder compression with ice. Legs are feeling a bit fresher and the engine is full and raring to go! Much better and more effective than the cold baths / hot shower treatments I've been used to!

Managed to keep the biking together too, and surprised myself with a couple of nippy rides recently. 21.7 avge for 25 miles on Saturday on tired legs is the fastest I've gone early season, and a good indicator that I can go close to pb shape first time out round Abbo in a few weeks which will be a big bonus if I want to ride close to 60 over Olympic this year.

Managed a very late swim on Thursday night with Mr T - 15 x 100 off 15 secs. Started with a 1.25 and knew the next 23 mins would end up in agony. I was not dissapointed. Averaged 1.36 / 1.37 for the set but had 3 (12, 13 & 14) @ 1.40 where I could barely raise my arms out of the water. Not joking, was half expecting to get tossed a rubber ring at one stage and remove myself from the lanes. Recovered with a fastish (for me) 1.30 last one so not all bad!

All coming together nicely now, have no idea if I can tie the 3 sports together though :/ could do with a low key early May sprint to see if my wetsuit removal has improved (unlikely). In my first ever tri - the Bedford Middle the results guy asked if I'd got lost in transition and in my 2nd (Outlaw Half) the commentator laughed at me rolling round on the floor unable to get my too small wetsuit off my calves!

Never had a (non-ironman) problem running off the bike so lets not tempt fate and start worrying now :) I'll go into the season targetting 36 low 10ks and 1.25 halfs off the bike. Anything less will be dissapointing.

On the Ironman thing, I am pretty set on this year being Olympic - Middle and sampling the AG experience. I'm thinking I might have a real go at Kona in 2015 (subject to family promising not to leave me if I do) and getting a coach. I've always been wary of getting a coach because basically I'll just end up ignoring them and doing my own thing! If I do get a coach for IM I'm going to do everything they say session by session, no excuses, no variation. Coaching has to be a trust thing I reckon.

So onwards and upwards. Season kicks off on Sunday at 10am and I'm really looking forward to it.

Comments

  1. How are you getting on with the Speedmax? Enjoyed the unboxing and would love to hear how it rides.

    Cheers,

    S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo