Outlaw Relay

It all started as a bit of harmless fun late last year. Conversations between myself, Ian and Adam roughly along the lines of 'we'd piss that if we did it as a team and get on the telly'. It's funny how when you don't have to run a marathon until 12 months time it doesn't seem that far.

All winter we talked up how we'd smash it. Adam to swim a 45, Ian to bike a 4.30 and me to run a 2.45.

Now in fairness, the other boys are a cut above me. I'm a club runner at best and the reality of what we'd signed up for hit me by London when I struggled round in 2.56 after dropping off pace at about 8 miles #ouch. I think the only reason the boys didn't drop me is there is a distinct lack of quality marathon runners looking to pop a 26.2 out on one of the hottest days of the year, when you could be anywhere from leading to an hour behind!

It's been a strange old year race wise. I didn't do the early season races of 5k - 10k that I usually do and paid for it at London. Then I had 4 triathlons in 5 weekends (2 x Olympic, 2 x Middle) and then nothing for 4 weeks until Outlaw when I needed to get 'run' fit.

The tri's were a mixed bag and it was only the last one at Kitzhbuel that I found some running form. I managed to get 3 decent 18 mile runs in and in taper I finally hit some decent sub 6 paced runs. So I got to the start in decent enough shape to run 2.50 - 2.55, depending on where we would be placed and how bloody hot it was.

In the lead up to the race, we'd managed to get some banter going with the Blackline London boys, well just Pablo really! It was quite funny as we'd all cain each other a bit but then everyone would get a bit cagey - over a 3.8km swim, 112 mile bike and a marathon anyone can blow up and no one wants to be bertie big bollocks when they are walking at 20 miles - certainly not little old me!

The weekend went bang on plan. Register (forgot all my ID so Ange had to scan and text it) - check, race brief - sit in a sauna for an hour while race director cracks crap jokes - check and bike racked - check. Pizza for tea then bed early only to stay up talking about food with Mr T till about midnight #feeder

Standard up at dog-shit o'clock on race morning. Rice pudding and cheese sandwiches for breakfast. Sit next to the water for race start and get into the build up. Hairs on the neck are sticking up, this is the big one and I don't want to let the team down. I'm buzzing, and can't wait to get started. Never watched an Iron distance before and after this I probably never will again!

Boom, gun goes off aaannnnddd ... not much happening. I love watching swimming at the Olympics but open water swimming is not exactly edge of your seat stuff! The swimmers make their way #slowly past and into the distance. Arms and water everywhere. Look out for Adam - he's the one in the black wetsuit and red hat !!! Shocking to admit it but just like people watching steeplechase by the water jump at track and field are only there to see someone fall in, excitement is contained to see who'se going to have a paddy in the water and get toed home by a canoe.

There's Adam in the black wetsuit!

One guy is a long way off the front and hits T1 2-3 mins clear of a pack of 4. Adam is in the pack after a clever swim sitting in and hands over in 3rd place after kicking off the front of the group. Solid work coach. So we're out the water in 3rd place OA and 2nd team, Adam has come up trumps in the swim and put us right where we need to be. Sam has come out the water 4th place in the team event for Blackline and Pablo hits the bike course.

Watch Ian out off the bike. Hmm, 4 1/2 ish hours till I'm in action. Slowly over the next hour and 25 mins every swimmer get onto the bike course and every spectator knobs off. It's 8 o'clock in the morning and I'm sitting next to a lake with Adam and there is barely a sole in sight. If you blocked out the empty transition area you'd never believe there were close to a 1000 people in that lake not so long ago.

Ian and fake Pablo hit the bike course

Our support crew of 1 - Dan - turns up to watch at about 9am and we enjoy the change from hot to cold of the morning for a couple of hours watching the race develop on t'internet. Got to say Adam's done his part now and I'm not sure I'm jealous of the fact he can sit on his arse all day watching us bury ourselves, or feeling sorry for him having to sit on his arse all day watching us bury ourselves!

Now, for months Greenlight and Blackline London had some great banter going online about who would win the team event. We'd all done our homework and written off every other team. It was a 2 horse race and noone else had the right to steal our thunder (in our tiny minds anyway). The Blackline boys were claiming the moral victory for only having 2 people in their team. At Greenlight, we were claiming a victory based on the fact that the three of us are more than familiar with the inside of KFC, the OK diner and MacDonalds. A win for us would be a win for the common man!

However, all of that turned to shit when we became aware that a new super team had entered on the Thursday. Apparently they were a shit hot team (elite swimmer, pro cyclist, 2.45 marathon runner) BUT we were informed the cyclist had chronic over-training syndrome. In fact, if we'd believed everything he'd be lucky to make it to the first checkpoint without falling off his bike asleep. Gotta love the triathlon grapevine.

That info turned out to be #slightly misled. Each time check showed him basically smashing the field to pieces. Ian was going well and I headed into T2 expecting him about 10 mins down in 2nd.

The kid had a great ride for us - 4.47 after struggling last few miles. He started in Beastmode and finished up pretty empty. 112 is a LONG way believe me. He didn't look impressed when I asked him if he'd enjoyed his coffee stop! Luckily, he'd managed to collect a few gold crowns on the way so not a total disaster. In fairness everyone was a bit down on expected times, apart from the leader, and it looked about 10-15 mins slower so shows how well everyone rode out there.

Pablo rode a clever race keeping it steady and consistent and bringing Blackline team in 3rd place with 4th place team Absolute Tri coaching a couple of mins back. In the individual race the over bikers smashed themselves and the strong bike-runners (Tom V & Paul Lunn) had moved up the field and were well placed going on to the run.

Sat in T2 talking to Sam B from Blackline having a giggle. Top lad and sort of fucker who gives DC a run for his money in the handsome front! Started to feel 'warm' as we were getting ready and all the bravado and adrenaline from the 6am swim start had turned to yawning and thinking about what to have for dinner.

I set off the run alongside Craig Twigg who was individual leader so we had TV camera bike for company. Pace was sub 6 to start and we both eased back together in the first mile to a more realistic 6.25/mm. I backed behind to give Twiggy a bit of freedom - I'd assume he didn't want a team runner in his space - whilst making sure my ugly mug was still in shot :) After a mile and a half I eased past Twiggy and heard the cameraman say 'let him go' - thanks!

Reeled off the miles in the 6.3x range for the first half. At about 7 miles I got a time check on 3rd/4th (1st I knew was 15 mins in front still) and they had closed the gap to 2 & 3 mins. 2nd place guy from team Absolute Tri Coaches in a Victoria Park vest was really moving well and I expected the pass before half way. High 5'd Sam as we passed and told him I'd see him when he caught me.

Eased through the next few miles, mentally it's quite a tough course for the first half. Or more honestly it's fcuking boring!

After half way you reverse the loops so you head back out into the town first. By 18 miles I did the same time check and I'd noticed the 2nd placed team was ~20 secs behind where he was at 7 miles.

#ouch, I did the math and worked out he'd started at 6.10 pace. This means he's going to crash big time. Happy days, as long as I keep it to 6.4x pace home we're clear. Didn't see Sam, he'd done the swim earlier and it wasn't great conditions by now as the sun had got his hat right on and set about burning fuck out of everyone.

Podium guaranteed now and looking likely that kid from Viccy Park was heading into shuffle mode I could relax a bit.

Reeled off the miles back to the rowing lake. Once you hit it you only have 1 3/4 laps of 5k to finish. Lapped Twiggy again, he was miles clear but moving real slow. Top work fella, keep moving as we acknowledge each other.

Hit the last lap and know I'm only a finish straight in front of the winning team. Real busy on the course now as most of the individuals are on the run. Ouch, that painful Ironman shuffle I know so well is in da house. Tried not to run into people as I passed them, glad I was only doing the marathon leg but also accepting the applause from people assuming I was flying after a full 3.8km swim & 112 mile bike :)

Ian and Adam were waiting at the start of the carpet. Now I will say this unapologetically. I fucking love the carpet. I go mental on the chute whilst Adam and Ian look like they would rather be anywhere else. No, we didn't win but how many times do you really get to run the carpet in an Iron Distance event ??!! OWN IT !!!

Crossed the line after dicking about with a 2.56 marathon which was spot on considering it was hot and solo.

We finished 2nd team in 8hrs 36mins after a 50 min swim from Adam, a 4:47 bike from Ian and a 2:56 marathon from me. In all honesty we couldn't have gone much faster. We were beaten by a better team. I am chuffed to bits with how we did though, we all gave it the beans out there and doing it with your pals makes it a lot sweeter. Proud of the boys and really appreciate being asked to be part of the team #teamGreenlightPT

Next up Daz Man climbs Ventoux!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo