Harrow Open 1500m - Track Rust Buster



First track race of the season!

Pre-race...

Build up has been pretty good. The only issue lately is that my legs are either totally smashed from intervals OR they are doing intervals. I've had very little chance to relax lately and feel like my legs are strong. I'm constantly moaning about the aches and pains.

It's no bad thing, I need strength, BUT, it's frustrating that I feel tired and achey constantly.

Today is no different. Legs feel heavy and fairly unresponsive although slightly better as the day has gone on. I did a shakeout 5k earlier and they felt pretty bad !! It's likely some nerves in there but either way I'm carrying a set of battered tools tonight.

If I am honest, mid season I probably would have scratched the race and just jogged today.  Jacob can't race after his accident so I'm seeing it like a Park Run - it's just a really hard effort on battered legs so I'm not expecting a huge result. I guess anything in 4.30-4.40 range will be acceptable the way I am feeling but you never know. I do need to get some races under my belt just to get back into the swing of things.

Racing breeds fitness, you can't replicate that in training so either way I'll go along and have a crack.

The race...

Obviously the above was written pre-race! So the skinny...

4.35:62 4th place in race 8

Usual start, kids all over the track! Pace is insane and I'm dead last at 200m. Relax and build into the pack by 400m in 71. 2 kids waaaay off the front.

Try and relax, lot of kids jumping about but I settle inside and try and get a ride. Move up at about 600m into small group in front. Another old timer in front of this small group. Pass 800m in around 2.26. Slowed way too much.

Down the back straight I make a move to follow guy who pushed on and pull away from the group. At the bell I'm pretty crackered. Pass it in 3.20. 

3.40 at 1200m (from the picture) so not sure the bell time was correct. I'm ruined now, legs have very little in them. Limp home and just about hold on to 4th place.

So, it's about right. Mid 4.30s equates to around 17 flat 5k. Off my last 5k that's progress. But obviously would like to have dipped under 4.30!

To be fair I had considered canning the race in the afternoon. My legs are screwed and I felt flat so off that it's very positive.

Where to now...

I've had a pretty solid build up since my last injury. Mallory 5k went to plan and since then I've hit some really good intervals. If anything I have pushed way beyond my fitness level so no surprise I am constantly tired! It feels like I am either 4.x pace or 8.3x pace.

My plan now is to go back to threshold / tempo work for a bit. Longer intervals, 5k pace and shorter recoveries. If anything it should allow my legs to catch up with my brain and I should start to feel stronger. Average pace will creep up too as the legs take less of a battering.

Obviously I'm not going to avoid intervals forever but I've laid some decent foundations I just need to get on top of my recovery. I feel like I am a lot fitter than I am showing but it's going to take patience to see that form start coming out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block