SOAR MK Relays 2021

Replacing the cancelled Southern Counties 6 stage at Crystal Palace - today's race actually worked out much better all around as it's much closer to home.

Jake ran 2nd leg for the u17 who unfortunately had a drop out on the way to the race so didn't finish as a team but a pretty decent 17.3x leg.

I went first leg for the seniors. It's a shame as a club we can't get our best teams out to these races. Every man and his dog does Round Norfolk and Chariots but this is the big stage people !!

Warmed up, felt a bit bleugh which is usually a good sign lol. To be fair I've been below the weather all week and ended up carding a zero yesterday as I was pretty rough. Felt OK - 90% range today so not 100% but still not that far off.

Race starts and I settle in. It's quick and I'm just trying to get position. Fairly quickly settle down - off the big pack in front (long snake) with a few clingons but ahead of everyone else who fairly early are a long way off. Slowly work to catch the winnuts hanging off the back of the pack. No one catches or re-passes me which is a good sign I've timed it right.

First mile is quite a way up hill so relax, no point trying to push too hard. Don't really check on power or pace as it's feeling like I'm as hard as I can go.

Get a few short breaks from 1 - 3km but it feels pretty bloody hilly. Try to relax but I reel in a C&C and several Tonbridge teams. In fairness the race goes by pretty quickly. At 2.5 miles you're back next to the track and a short lap of the park and 300m in reverse of the track and I hand over to super vet Ty.

Stop watch at 17.21 on my Garmin for 5.31/mm avge for 3.13 miles

Felt bloody hard work if I am honest. Obviously not 100% healthy but I'd place that as a solid effort. Looking at times on Strava decent vets were around 17 mins so I am on the dance floor I guess.

Race wise I ran it pretty well. Sat in and worked through. Mile splits were 5.36, 5.31, 5.33 with 5.01 pace last bit. Sat back and worked.

That's roughly where I am at - still only about 15 seconds a mile of being really solid but I appear to have hit a comfort zone of low 5.30s which in itself isn't too bloody bad !!

I'm not fading in races, I just don't have the leg speed to feel easy on the first couple of clicks. To be fair too, my fat little legs just don't run well on hills - that's really a good thing to look at this winter !

I'll probably continue with the current plan. I think a full couple of weeks - 60/30s slowly increasing the pace and then the treadmill km reps trying to feel relaxed should pay off short term. I'll hopefully get healthier this week and blast a solid Parkrun next weekend.


Plan -

Mon - shakeout - test the Vomeros (3)

Tue - 12 x 60/30 - decent cool down (6)

Wed - coke club (8)

Thu - km reps @ 5k - 5 secs per km (6)

Fri - 10k recovery (6)

Sat - Parklife (6)

Sun - Solid 10





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo