Early Season Track Block

2 weeks since the 5k block was done and plenty of building work. In a build phase I pretty much eat and drink whatever the hell I like so this week I'll switch to taper mode.

I have 3000m at the SAL match on Saturday and then 1500m at Vets league for Enfield on Monday.

I need to get some more running action pictures, have hardly any lol

Finished up last week exhausted. Pretty sure my back and hip chain was fucked from lifting stones in the garden rather than the running but the body is what it is.

This morning I feel like the engine is running really well. If I can recover and make the adaptions I'll be strong at the weekend. 

Have to be looking at sub 9.20 on Saturday which is 74.xx per lap. That pace is comfortable in training so hopefully get a good group to work on. Monday I think will most likely be solo from the gun looking at previous races but I'l say 4.22 would be nice. 69 per lap for that.

So Taper mode - a week of living pretty healthy and doing the right things. No more oblivious snacking, 3-4 bags of crisps per day and beer. I'll be on water and staying healthier. Will not likely track food BUT if I feels like I am bloated then I'll start to track again!

I rested yesterday as I was just too tired and achy. This week I'll start with a very easy shakeout and some hill sprints just to wake the legs up. I'll do one session on Tuesday probs 400s and then longer coke club Weds and will either rest Thurs or Fri with a shakeout on the other day. The plan is to feel over rested BUT do not let food go out of control haha

Monday - 43 mins & 4 x hill sprints (hills). Felt very bleugh on way to hill, started to relax into it as run went on. Pretty decent by the end. All under control. Legs feel like they are adapting and ready to push out some extra power. Definitely need to start tracking food this week!! Think I am missing some nutrition targets, didn't feel amazing and making sure I am properly ready this week will be key.

Tuesday - tired and lazy start. Head to track for 10am. Quick warm up and into 8 x 400m with Geoff taking last 200m each rep. Windy first 200m. Recovery was 160m walk (80 each way) so lot less than previous session. 

68, 68, 68, 68, 69, 68, 69, 68

68.03 to 69.17 mostly low 68s so pretty good workout there. Last time did as 2 x 4 off 200 walk and 400 between sets. Less recovery and about a second a rep quicker. Should be capable of close to 4.20 off this if not under.

There's a spot in the 1500m on Saturday and I am tempted to take that BUT that would make Monday pointless and I would rather get the 2 different events on the board at this stage. Not sure though. Lets see how things go first.

Was tired after session. Not brutally but did do 2km cool down after I got home. Mile warm up, 2 miles session, 2.8 km cool down for roughly 5 miles. Time to start bringing the legs home this week now so focus is on eating clean to stay on top of weight.

No double to pump up volume this week. Eat clean and do some light S&C - minimum plan.

Wednesday - up early and hit some S&C that I forgot to do last night. Golf late morning with Bear, won 39 - 42 but played pretty pony. Few aches and pains but will + coke club tonight.

Coke club - plain old CC tonight. 8 miles @ 8.08/mm. Felt very easy but legs slightly tight in calfs. Not a bad shout going shorter and easier. Rest up and from here on in it's about recovery for Saturday. May have to run a 1500m for the club as no one in B string but see if anyone shouts it up first. Not the worst thing ever but really want a decent 3k under my belt.

Will rest tomorrow, no s&c or anything just chill and adapt. Feels like I'm cheating myself again but the sessions are going well and that's all that counts.

Thursday - rest ! This one is always difficult on race week because I feel like I'm not doing enough BUT really need my legs to come good for the weekend. Nothing at all today, will likely just do an easy 5 on the road with maybe some pickup tomorrow.

Team sheet is out for Saturdays race, there is cover in the 1500m so non Scoring 3000m for me. Some really good young 'uns at the club to aim for. Fired up now. Cannot get too cocky though, prep well and give it some beans. Really want to go sub 9.20 which will be top 3 in V45 rankings TD.

Friday - easy 5 and strides around Cambourne. 33.30, 6.40/mm ish. Held back and stayed under control. Lets see how fresh the legs are after this. Lunch was crazy clean. Garlic & chill prawns with jacket potato and a big salad. No majopr aches and pains. 

Feel pretty good today, still have to get confidence to ease back more on race week! Interesting chat about this on Inside Jogging podcast.

Out tonight so need to Normatec the legs and am currently working on upper back massage!

Saturday - SAL St Ives. 3000m. 2 miles easy shakeout at home, decent food and felt OK, nothing special but legs were good. Arrived at track, about 15 mins of easy and drills and then a solid 2k or so at proper warm up.

The race. I fucked it up. Start was fast, caught sleeping on the line as missed on your marks command. Drifted in and knew it was quick (34 at 200m) and hoped it would settle. Through 400 in 71. Pushed forward onto James, St Albans kid and Dom. Slightly gapped so didn't get cover in the wind on back straight. Through 800m in 2.25 and KM in 3.04. Not too bad but problem is wind. Close up to Dom no this lap into wind and then pass. I'm leading group. Martin sits on me up until 1.8km (6.16) and moves onwards. Passed 1500m in around 4.40. In my own start to struggle. Gap grows, hit bell in 8.15 which is actually about pb pace but last lap is half hearted and stiop Garmin on 9.38 so 83 last lap which is giving back around a second extra per lap on the average.

Massively pissed off after that. Short cool down and off to Highgate to watch NOT10KPBS.

The positives - I ran terrible and felt weak but still ran 9.38 which is my 2nd fastest 3000m on PO10. Conditions didn't suit. I ran tactically naive. Martin executed my race plan to perfection. 77 avg per lap, was on 76 for 6.5 laps! 

The bad - I'm still weak in the wind. Folded badly and mentally went back to that very weak place.

Corrections and lessons - OK, so I went out for a late night with a heavy dinner the night before. I should have ran my Friday run on Thursday and had a rest day on Friday. I ran way too hard on Friday due to lack of confidence. My easy week didn't go so well. Had a wicked session on Tuesday so should have capitalised.

The race - I knew it was too quick but went with it rather than settle into my own pace. I took on the wind - I'm shit in the wind - I only needed to sit on Martin and I would have been fine. I pushed forward at 450m rather than sit back. I gave up which made a maybe 9.31 a 9.38.

I need to execute race plans much better, I've not run this bad for a long time which is positive and I do have another race on Monday.

Moving forwards ....

OK, how you respond to defeat is what defines you. I'll lick my wounds and move on. Firstly I do have bounce back races. I have Mondays 1500m. It will most likely be solo. The aim is going to be to arrive at the start line ready to run hard in 70s from the gun and likely have no company.

I also have a Parkrun on Saturday available. That's a possibility. I really feel like I need to get back to Basics right now and just start building fitness again.

Looking back to last time I ran badly, I bounced back with a really good 2 x 2m session on the Tuesday and was much better. Sometimes you just need a kick up the arse.

Next 'race' is June 14th so I have stacks of time to get back. 

This week I will go easy today as 10k at a very easy pace and throw in some strides. 

Tomorrow, normal race routine. Run in the morning then couple of 10 mins warm ups. I'll do an easy float session on Tuesday to keep the legs ticking over. Weds I'll stop sodding about and do an easy double with coke club rather than miss the + bit like usual. Thursday I'll do a hard session, easy Friday, Parkrun hard with extra miles on Sat and easy hour Sunday.

I'll keep my options open on Parkrun, the plan will be to start hard and just assess the damage. It would be nice to run a 16.2x on tired legs. I think that plan gives me enough build with 2 good opportunities to get a time in. I want to head oput to Vienna on battered legs, the plan will be to run Monday and Tues am and then rest Weds meaning I only have to run Thurs and Parkrun Sat. Phew lol

Sunday - long day, no rush to get out. Ended up doing the 6.5 route in reverse with some strides. 45 mins, nice and relaxed. Started moving well at the end.


Interesting week. Very low on volume - about 38 miles. Bit down about the race as so many things went wrong and when you taper in and run so poorly it really makes you question yourself. Have to remember Thorney 10k and how I was running well before and after that. It's a blip and I just don't go well in the wind.

Tuesday session was rock solid. Need to just trust that it's heading in the right direction.

Tomorrow night need to arrive feeling ready to race and make sure I don't do anything stupid. Forecast isn't great with the wind but it is what it is. Go out, hit a 70 ish first lap and just try and get rolling.

Have to remember the bad races are also going in the right direction! Think 9.38 is about 86.6% WAVA so not as terrible as it could have been.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo