Quest for a 4.19 - Week 2

Boom, Runbritain ranking down to -0.5 after PR so happy days ! Should be top 100 for V45s now and making progress. 3 races in a 7 day spell all in my top 5.

This week the plan is to relax into the week, let the legs recover and do my hard running at the weekend.

I'm away in Vienna with Ange, Lola and the Blades' so some relaxed sightseeing and a week to recouperate recent training is on the cards. I don't want to be that person on holiday so I'll just to the bare minimum while I am away. My days of running taking over holidays is long gone!



Monday - bank holiday. Easy runs today and tomorrow to finish this strength block. Was heading up to Caldecot loop but turned into Cambourne at flyover and then to Caxton and road home. Felt like I was moving well, maybe 8.5 - 9 miles? Very relaxed and feeling like I am in a good spot. Nice to be running comfortably in this block and never shattered from going too deep.

Will do S&C on glutes tonight as they're still tired and aching. Tomorrow I'll jog a lake loop very early before going away and then it's the end of the block and a rest day. 

Enjoying this weather, finally after a LONG winter it feels like it's good much more than it's shite!

Slightly concerned with hips / glutes but I'll put in some rehab and strength this week to stay on top.

Not sure on how this weekend will play out. Kinda fancy a hard effort at Vienna Parkrun but as it's an 8am (UK time) start I'll probablky do what I did last weekend and float it. Sunday I'll run the 800 very hard to 400m and see where I am at. It's one of those where I'll either be flying or shit and unlikely I'll be somewhere between. The 400 will be painful but great workout with the 800 in short turnaround. Next week is all about hard and fast running to push the speed in. This week, it's all about recovering and stepping back and relaxing. I've had a long block of racing and training hard so nice to kick back and chill a bit.

Feel really good at the minute. Running is coming easy and paces are right on the slower end of dream time BUT they are in the right ball park.

The key has always been to stay active. Keep healthy and it'll happen.

Lots of targets this year but very important I keep focus and work through each of them at a time. Mile & 1500m are next up and I have some very good chances at those coiming up.

Tuesday - travelling today so out early for 3 miles nice and easy.

Wednesday - rest ! Vienna zoo for the day. Awesome!

Thursday - out early at 7.20am (6.20 UK) ran across Danube and along river and worked my way back. 63 mins - 8.5 ish I guess. Nice and relaxed.

Friday - 20 mins with 6 x strides legs a little achy from lots of walking about.

Saturday - Donaupark Parkrun. Uber there then 1 lap steady (6.30) felt very bleugh but warm up was quick at around 6.20/mm. Course is crazy fast on a good day. Briefings in German and English and set off at about 9.10. Was behind 18 min pacer at start for a bit then pushed on with another lad. He asked something about a km in - probably ok with pace - and then kept on. Was maybe 2-3 secs behind him on lap 1 in 5.28 on my watch (5.20/mm). Felt shit so pushed hard first lap anyway to see if the legs came to life. Spoiler alert - they didn't lol. Mentally doing math so on for 16.2x low range at 1/3rd distance. Felt horrible all the way.

2nd lap he pushed on and I was solo. Imagining going through in sub 11 and having a rush of adrenaline but was through in 11.12 (5.44 or 5:34/mm). Last lap legs just feel so unresponsive but try and hang a good tempo. Just feel sluggish. 

With about 100m to go some guy flys past me like I am nailled to the floor. Had no idea he was anywhere close. Finish in 17.04 so last lap 5.52 or 5.43/mm. 

3.24 per km or 5.29 per mile. Not too shabby for feeling that bad. 

Excuses - I'd been glutened so stomach felt a bit queasy. It's hour ahead so 8am UK time. Hadn't prepared properly, holiday mode and food. Morning routine was off. In fairness that's a decent effort for a bad run and last year was up with my best. Got to be happy plus I did nab the course age group record.

Flew back early evening - nice holiday I would highly recommend Vienna for a city break. Beautiful place, nice people and everything is reasonably priced.

Sunday - Night in my own bed! Plan today was East Anglian League and to run an 800m / 400m double to baseline speed. First up the 8. Started OK, through in 31 and sat in on a young kid. First 3 already well clear. Settle back and relax home straight. Through bell in 65. Push up with 300m to go and push on. Feel pretty solid and work hard into the last bend. Surprised I'm able to finish strong and finish up with an OAPB of 2.11.7. Happy days.

The 400m is about 90 mins later and legs feel pretty solid. Start that hard and just try and go all the way to the line. Nearly catch a fella and come 3rd in 61.6 another OAPB !

Pretty happy with how it panned out to be fair. Speed wise the legs are good. Bit of a backward week with holiday and getting stuff in when I can but no real health worries after that.

Key now is to focus on doing all the right things to get myself to next Wednesday in good shape.

Not sure where that week falls but 3 races with a 17.04 5k, 2.11 800m and 61 400m is good work. Back to the grind next week.

The old calculation is double 800m to 1500m time so 4.23 ish off the back of that and that equates to a 4.42 / 4.43 mile which is club record territory so all to play for in this build.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block