Reboot - It's all about 2024



Wow, after what feels like months of doing bits and bobs with no structure and no motivation the time has come to start cracking back into a training plan.

Obviously the only thing that's been consistent in the past month has been weight training, and away on holiday doing some hills I really found the benefit of the little I have done thus far.


So here is the master plan for 2024. Big, BIG changes lined up. If you want to make extraordinary progress you have to make extraordinary changes.


Motivation

This was my biggest concern at the end of track season. I had no mojo. I could run quick but I couldn't be arsed to flog myself. Now I have had a break, the glass is full and brimming at the top.  Keeping on top of motivation is critical, this shit is hard. I have to check in with myself and life outside running needs to be sound otherwise it'll all cave in.


The game has moved on

Wow, when I returned to just running as a V40 moving to V45 age group 17 mins was quick enough to be considered decent. 16 minutes was properly fast and the very cream of the crop went sub 15.

Nowadays the landscape is completely different. I would say 16 mins (my SB) is a ticket to the party. 15.30 is very much where it is at and the top end is under 14.30 with sub 15 being nothing special anymore.  

My 4.20 for 1500m I considered my best run this year, but guys are hammering 4.10 and knocking at the door. That's a big difference.

My mindset needs to change. I have to be looking way quicker than I have. Got to stop thinking 5/mm is quick, that needs to be cruising at pace.


Taking it more seriously

You know what I hate more than being beaten? The fact that I have to take things so seriously to compete. I've always (when I was a 'proper' international) prided myself on the fact I could just turn up and do this shit and everyone needed to work much harder at life than me to compete. Ha, the boot is on the other foot now.

But fuck it, play the cards you have been delt. 

On holiday we did a body composition analysis and my body fat came out at 17.9%. That's fucking monstrous. I have to get a grip on my diet. I have started building muscle at the gym, that'll help the other factor - my tiny muscle mass.

I have a plan and I need a head start going in. If I am to start competing then I need to start being more serious about it. I cannot cruise anymore. I have to live it more than anyone else. Boot is on the other foot my man.


The master plan

Get strong & light -> get fast -> get endurance

Very simple. I need to cut the weight to sub 10 stone. I need to do leg extensions & hamstring curls at 60kg. I need to run 400m in 56.xx. I need to run 65 miles per week.

Oh, and I need to stay healthy so I am consistent and can do all this haha !! On task at a time, focus on the targets in hand and move on. First up, get strong and get light.


Changing of the guard

Just started running with Andy's group at C&C last Tuesday which is going to lead to changing clubs with a vets club that can challenge for honors. I think this feeds in to both speed (400m target) as I will be training with faster guys and motivation (not doing everything alone). It's probably time to move on but at the end of the day, I really only have one real shot left in me.


This is pretty much it. The master plan is clear, it's a simple formula. The thing that's most humbling about this whole experience is how much more of everything I need to do.

If I look back to why I was quick as a kid, then it's obvious. I was considerably lighter. It's the weight that is the biggest issue, and if I compare anyone at or better than my level they are all carrying much less body fat.

I have roughly 5kg of excess body fat (as in that would get me to 10%). That's excess. Close to a stone from what I considered a good body weight. Like I said before, mindset needs to change. What was good before is not good now.

That will get me to a point where I am relatively strong for my weight. That's key because it's exactly why I can't get up to speed, the effort to start moving is what causes me to loose a massive potential for top end speed.

Becoming stronger is secondary critical because old age looses muscle mass. The muscles need to support the tendons and bones as I put more effort in. They also through being bigger give me a higher calorific target so it's easier to loose weight and stay low.


Can I hit my targets

Wow, big question. I have no idea what I'll be capable of but at 10% body fat I think I could get to 15.30 for the same effort as 16.00 at 17%. Staying active is always the key, not being stupid in training and pushing beyond what I can do. Being motivated to keep on top of everything is all part of the picture.

What I do know is that I have 4 weeks of misery, dieting hard and getting fit ahead of me. From there I will start to find out if I have what it takes. I'll need to stay off of all my running socials like this and Strava while I get a head start on it.

Lets see how that goes !!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Start of Torun Specific Block