The Christmas Zone - Between Efforts

Right, this is it now. Silly season. Everything gets turned on it's head. Booze, food, nights out, colds and flu, family time, doing shit. It's all happening so between now and the day after Boxing Day it's a simple matter of just doing what you can!

I have a basic outline - I'd like to get 50 odd miles per week and 2 sessions plus a Parkrun in the 2 week period but again, it will be what it will be.

Right now I feel like I am approaching good shape but I'll be more than happy not to give too much back to the clock !! 

Last week I really messed up timing and made things excessively hard for myself. This week a little more intelligence required.

Monday - am) Gym. Decent session. Focus on the main movements and added in some Iso stuff at the end of each section. Paid off handsomely with some DOMS on Tuesday. I'll struggle to get more than 1 x per week so focus on some good work here.

pm) BJJ. Enjoying this. Not 100% on benefit but it's some x-training and it's fun.

Tuesday - as I mentioned. Sore all over this morning from weights. Back easing slightly. Annoying that it's still an issue but weights are obviously going to cause some stress.

pm) Eddington. DOMS'd up. Warm up with John and then the group. Feel good. 2.6 miles @ 8.02/mm.

Session. 10 mins [90] 5 mins [90] 5 mins [120] 5 x 400m [120-135]

10 mins @ 5.24/mm. 156 bpm - 165 bpm max. Feel really good. This pace doesn't bite at all.

5 mins @ 5.10/mm. 161 bpm - 167 bpm max. Bites a little. 

5 mins @ 5.16/mm. 162 bpm - 168 bpm max. Bites last 2 mins. Good HR data but disappointing not to be 5.10.

5 x 400m. 70,71,68,68,67

Overall a pretty solid session. Bit disappointed not to nail sub 5.10 pace for the 2 x 5 min efforts. HR is solid for those but maybe just a little fatigue from gym yesterday.

The 10 min felt really good. Pretty relaxed for that. Strange pace anomaly on each rep where it jumps to crazy slow (6.36 pace on the 10 mins and 5.50 pace on the 5s) BUT it's only a guide.

Felt like I was working well, the 400s felt good. The tempo rep and the 1500 pace were bang on BUT I was just slightly out on the 5k reps. I want those 5-5.10 pace feeling good but they were 5.13 pace feeling like a little more than hard work.

Another step in the right direction tho. 

10.4 miles total. Very tired after, need a good sleep tonight.

Wednesday - pretty tired in the am. No mobility today - poor effort and ate a LOT of quality street. Coke club solo tonight. 8 miles @ 6.49/mm for 143 bpm. Lots of stopping so more like 145-146. Pace much closer to where easier needs to be. Didn't feel hard work but equally didn't feel amazing so decent effort.

Body feeling recent efforts, mainly the gym work. May need to dial back and stick to maintenance intensity for a bit just to perk things up. Running pretty well so happy enough with form.

Thursday - Up and really tight this morning. Maybe pillow? Good bit of mobility and planning to do a proper flexibility stretch and full body roll out before training.

pm) Track. Good group tonight, working with Sam & Kieron. 3 x 5 x 300m off 45 jog and 400m lap between sets. (54,54,54,53,54) - (53,53,54,54,53) -(53,52,51,52,51). Tough session but good work. Wore Dragonflys - possibly a bad move - but felt OK once I got going. 53 average so just slightly off 1500m pace but very acceptable!

Friday - Rest. Travel to Lower Mill. Battered from track, far too tired to make the effort and get out plus wanted to feel a bit fresher for Parkrun.

Saturday - Parkrun. Calf tight and ankle sore but warmed up and felt OK. Long story short. Felt a bit bleugh, paced it really well and came 2nd in 17.52. Course was bit muddy and is hilly (for me) I would say easy 15-20 secs mile at that effort so expecting to go sub 17 next weekend without much fuss if it's not crazy wind.  5k cool down, wanted more but was hungry. Calf crazy tight when I got home so that was that for the day.

Sunday - bleugh. Calf far too tight. At Lower Mill and nothing to roll, stretch or massage with. Back home late afternoon and get at it/ Much better but not 100%. Plan is to run if I can but rest if it's not right. Tight I can work with but painful I cannot.

Feels like I am in a bit of a rut. Hitting sessions but not the overall package. Frustrating BUT it's silly season and I knew this would happen.

Plan is to look back over at what was working when it had flow and aim for that posy Boxing day!

Last thing I need now is serious time off and this calf is probably one of top 3 real concerns in last couple of years. No point taking risks so I'll err on side of caution.

Banked some really positive stuff it's just getting consistency that's lacking. Energy wise I feel like at some stage I need to start food tracking and getting on top of diet. I'm pretty sure I should be hitting high 50s before I feel this tired.

Overall though even with everything going on I'm still in a good spot.

My mantra needs to be - just stay healthy and don't panic about missed training in December !!! I have to allow that it's going to be a sticky period.

Annoyed with Parkrun BUT it was a 21 sec course best and I've always ran much better after running here. I really struggle to get my stride and move well on this course.

As everything has slowed down and it's boring as shit I'll continue along this blog...

Monday - OK up and at 'em. Calf still tight but better. Left hammy sore right at insertion and back still tight. Apart from that all good lol. Ran 5 shakeout to see what falls off. Just about holds together. Not moving amazing and aches and pains but not totally crap.

Thoughts - S&C not really providing huge benefit on hilly runs. Take a week of weights and assess how I feel. If it's better then drop to a maintenance programme BUT add in hills. If no different then back to how it was in autumn when it was ok (2 x per week decent lifting). I also know I need to raise mileage to 50+ every week (barring race/cut back).

 

Back massage is working on the knots around spine. Just need to hammer that. Glutes very tired today.

pm) BJJ. Felt good tonight but tough workout !

Tuesday - it's my birthday! Big 4-9 today. WAVA goes up so that's something. Downside, I wake up with a sore throat. Hmm, would explain a LOT if I have had something in my system. Resting HR 39 bpm and nothing in chest but feel achy and throat has a sore point. 

It's so obvious that resting today and recovering from this is the best thing. December has had a lot of issues that but it was always going to be a minefield. Resting until this is clear and restarting healthy will not slow anything down whatsoever. I'll be stronger long term. I need to hear this because it's the advice I would give anyone but the temptation to just go and run through it is very loud in my head. It's Christmas, relax and resume when I am good to go. I have to err on the side of caution if I want to get where I want to. January will be a big month of training to prepare to try and run sub 9 mins in March. Fucking that up now by trying to hard will be stupid.

So no run today. Plan is to release the hammys and hope that this really helps when I am good to crack on.

Had planned to do Parkrun on Saturday but weather is not ideal. Will do track with the guys. Right now I will rest today (instead of Friday) do usual tomorrow but easier and then track Thurs.

May swap out Buntingford 10 for a Parkrun on 30th December and go hard then.

Looking at December, I have cut several runs either out or down BUT I haven't missed a session, I have raced, missed 1 long run but added 2 extra ligher sessions. Quality wise it's improved but the volume is down by missing easier runs.

I have to remember this. I need right now to loosen my hamstrings right off, get healthy and don't bang on weight and I will be golden in January.

I am much, much fitter than I have ever been at this stage.

Wednesday - feel achy today like flu or cold but without the illness. Will rest today and hopefully resume tomorrow. Been a stop - start month. Need to iron out my back, I'll book in with Jenny for a course of massage to get ahead of that. 

Happy enough that I don't feel awful but still on the cusp. Need to keep telling myself it's not a problem at this time of year !!

Weight up to 10st 8 mainly from water retention and all the salt in last nights Chineese so not panicking just yet.

On the piss with the TeamSS boys until 3am - ouchy.

Chatting shit to Turner, really need to deliver now as I can just be one of those bull shit - talking a good game - guys. But first I need sleep !!

Thursday - hanging. OK, so maybe this is the last one. Probably biggest drink session of the year lol. Bit achey all day.

pm) Track. Christmas session, lucky dip on reps and recovery. Great fun. Body really not happy - hanging generally but the short reps were like a knife in my calfs!

First run since Monday and only 2nd run since last session. Shit gets real now. 20 miles in 7 days due to bing lazy, being ill and being slightly niggled. 

The real good side is that I am not ill. Whatever was in my system is out.

Friday - Up, calf tight but not criminal. Out with Nic this morning. Hammys ache and probably causing my issues.

Thinking on gym work, I think I was happiest hitting 2 sessions per week with no frills. It's definitely a maintenance plan. Back to what was working and I was enjoying I think will make me happier if not stronger. I need to get my gead around from now until end of Jan it's about building a deep hole and filling it with concrete. I keep trying to hit sessions fresh but I have to accept fatigue is part of the deal now.

So to Cambourne. Ran 2.2 with Nic before his calf went ping so quick coffee at Greens and then back home and a lake loop via the road. 6.5 for the day.

Saturday - up and calf much much better. Still tight but NOT sore. Session was moving through paces with some volume.

8 x 300 at 3k pace off 30 sec 100m jog so 2 mile continuous. Then into 2 miles steady (6.30s) and back on track for 600 / 400 jog / 400 / 300 jog / 300 / 100 walk / 200 starting at 3k then dropping to 800m.

300s in 57 avge off 25 recovery average. Worked out around 5.40/mm for the 2 miles. The 6.30s felt crazy easy, especially wind behind on way back. HR avge 150 and only maxing at 158 bpm.

Then the fun and games! I led out the 600m in 1.56 then the hammer and discipline dropped on the 400 in 69. Led the 300m in 48 and got dropped not pushing my luck on the 200 in 33 coasting at actual 800m pace!

All in all a really fun session and 9.5 miles of running. Felt good and calf no issue. Rehab tonight, long run tomorrow and then I'll resuce a week from the flames after 5 miles in first 3 days.

Starting to feel much more engaged again. Since Battersea thingfs have been hit and miss. Luckily I have hit the sessions. 6 sessions plus a Parkrun tempo and a hill session in December. Only 1 long run (14.2) which has let me down but I have done the major things right. Feel like I am well and truely back on the horse now.

Next week I have to decide whether to do Buntingford OR Parkrun. If weather is pinging I think I'll hit Parkrun hard. If it's so-so I will do Buntingford but either way as a hard training run. New years day I quite fancy the 800m to get a line in the sand. I also need to get back on 2 x gym sessions per week back on the plan I was previously working to as a maintenance plan but introducing plyos to the equation as I look at a possibility to steeplechase.

Away in 10 days so it would be nice to have 2 markers in the books for then.

Sunday - ahh, have left this update nearly a week so inputting from the diary for next few days! Anual xmas eve run with Dan, Gemma, Liv, Matt S, Liv boyfriend, Gemma Dad, Julian and Nic O. 12.2 miles @ 8.24/mm. 


40.5 miles for the week. Time to pull December out of the flames !!


Monday - Merry Christmas. Rest day !!

Tuesday - Nothing posted so hit Eddington solo. Did the only session I missed. 2 laps tempo, 1 lap 5k, 2 laps tempo, 4 x 30 secs.

From the warm up everything felt awful !! 1.6 miles @ 7.11/mm

Into the session. 2 laps in 8.33 (5.29/mm) 154 bpm average 162 max. Felt horrific, took 2 mins recovery instead of 90 as felt shite. Pace OK and HR bang on for that effort just legs not happy.

1 lap in 3.59 (5.04/mm) felt like a 1 lap race. HR 157 bpm average max 165. Really strong HR but legs felt horrific.

2 laps in 8.29 (5.31/mm). OK Garmin I ran 4 secs faster but slower pace lol. Again felt shite. HR 159 bpm avge 164 max.

Decided to go 60 secs recovery then into 4 x 30 on 30 off to make up for the extra recovery. Paces all over the place. 4.55, 5.11, 4.52, 4.38.

1.8 mile cool down @ 6.55/mm

HR numbers say fit but percieved effort was much higher lol. Just a Christmas session so glad to tick the box.

Wednesday - am) Coke Club with a dying Wayne and Rich. 8 @ 8.30s. Forgot Garmin but was free wheeling. pm) Did Gym. Got there half hour before closing - opps - but did an OK session in the time.

Thursday - Indoor track. Nice !! Small group. Myself, Andy, OJ, Ellie & Matt with support crew! Session was 4 x 600/400/200 but changed to 3 sets then 5 x 200m all out.

Off 60 and 4 mins but had to adjust as track was so busy.

Had a whose who of femals 800m talent out there today.

Went (1.48, 67, 31) - (1.45, 69, 31) - (1.46, 69, 32) - (32, 31, 30, 30, 30)

Really good session, highlights what I am missing - raw speed. My strength is super high right now but my flat out speed is lacking. Lactic on the last set but actually went better as I cannot run quick enough to get in serious trouble!

2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down down the River Lee - my old stomping ground. 

Debating more tonight BUT looking at it I really just need to recover. Plan is Parkrun on Saturday as a hard workout.

Building from here - OK, so self analysis time. I am strong. My S&C has made me strong and the volume sessions and mielage have build a strong engine so much that I am cruising and finding 'pretty fast' paces more and more comfortable. I REALLY need to work on explosiveness and higher end speed. Basically I need to focus less on the slower volume reps and more on the 3k/5k. So for example if I am doing 10 mins then 5 mins, back off the 10 mins to 5.30-5.40 and work harder on the 5 mins to be 5.00-5.10 range and cruising. The biggest change is S&C where I now have ot move to a maintenance (not pushing, extend range of motion at lighter weight) AND plyo explosive plan. Bringing in plyos is the ganme changer and if I don't I won't start increasing pace. In fairness 32 for 200m feels relaxed but if I can get down to 30 feeling that it'll be fireworks.

Friday - Out to meet Mr Turner. 4.8 easy miles @ 7.40s freewheeling. felt very relaxed. May double later.

pm) sod it, shake out 2 miles with 4 x strides at the end. Moving pretty well.

Up to 30 for the week so positive steps.

Thinking on tomorrows Parkrun, aim is to do a hard tempo BUT it can't start getting 'racey'. Just want to hold it in the 5.20s - ideally lower the better. Compare HR once it get up past 10 mins. Only concern is that this week it's felt a bit bleugh and Tuesday session was a struggle to run 5.30 pace. Going back to last 10 min rep tho HR got to 164 bpm at that pace and felt pretty good. Not 100% sure how it'll go but if it's under control I should survive it OK. Plan is to settle at 165 bpm and then assess in the last mile but run a strong / hard effort without going crazy. Just slightly held back. Weather looks OK.

Saturday - Park - Long - Run. Warm up with Turner 3k then into the Parkrun. 17.03 for 5k. Just about held target but effort was way harder than it should have been. Pissed off. Just very heavy legged. Ran to Pub for a full English then back to car. 15.6 miles for the day.

Sunday - met Turner for a trail run. 9 miles @ 8.28/mm. Legs absolutely terrible shape! So bloody tired.

55 miles for the week.

Feeling flat. Today's 800m was 2.18 so 2 secs faster than last year but way off the pace. However, off a near 60 mile week with 2 sessions and a Parkrun I am pushing way too hard at the minute. Time to reasess.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo