Ayo Fayola Dream Mile 2024



Training recap...

Basically Eddington is strong, Track Thursday is OK and Track Saturday is tired. Rinse and repeat !!

I know I am in much better shape than last year but I'm struggling to replicate that training into races. I know I need to relax, keep going as I am and it'll happen.

So standard pre-race faffing about. 10 mins easy shakeout and felt good. John picked me up and we headed to Lee Valley. Arrived well early. Couple of trail laps easy. Sat around and then hit the warm up proper. 2 trail laps at tempo - time to bring back the tempo warm ups!

Was in race 2 of the open tonight. Threw me a bit as I thought that was too fast for me.

Felt OK on the warm up BUT my guts were not good. I was shitting the last of my lunch out with less than 10 minutes to kick off - not idea. I wasn't 100% I'd be out of the toilet at one stage.

Lined up, 11 people in my race.

Bang, and we are off. Made the decision pre-race to head straight to the back so as not to start too fast. Mistake, it's crowded and slow. Try to settle, through 400m around 72 and feels like I'm finally getting into a position but the race at the front is moving away.

Through 809m in 2.26. Feels a blur and I'm badly stuck and don't feel confident enough to do anything to get out.

No idea from splits from here (I'll rewatch video and pout the actual splits below).

With 3 to go, I start to get the feeling I need to do something. Back of a pack of 4 I finally just basically shove my way through the middle of them with 500m to go. Push on and feel it thinning behind me.

Moving much, much better. 400m to go and keep running smooth and pushing on. Nothing changes but can feel daylight behind me. 200m to go and push hard. Know Nick is behind me somewhere and has beaten me already this year. Push it quite hard last lap, leaders (Simon and another guy) not moving away much and hold on for 3rd in 4.48.21.

Surprised it's quicker than last year because it felt slower the whole race until the last 500m. Finished very strong for me showing I definitely could have run harder earlier and tactically I should have started in a much better position. Indoor racing you need to get a good position early as you can't keep fucking about.

Still tracking faster than last year. Not amazing performance (4.28.6 1500m pace) but it's a starter and from here I know my race legs should come in a bit.

Splits

37.79 (209m)

35.26 - 73.05 (409m)

36.97

36.34 - 73.31 - 2.26.36

37.01             - 3.03.37

35.56 - 72.57

34.89

34.39 - 69.28

Closed out in 2.20 so much better and closer to target. First 400m wasn't miles off but 2.26 pace for first 1200m is way, way off where it needs to be. Could easily tighten that up with better racing.

Feel very confident I'll go better on Sunday. Just have that feeling I'll roll around better off a good start and less compact field indoor.

Feel pretty good, just need to get to the line feeling OK. Last year I ran really well for a 4.49 and this year a little flat for 4.48. Still feel 5/mm flat on Sunday is within my capabilities.

Training wise, I know strength is there. Nothing to change just keep doing what you are doing. Race pace is where it is at. Much more 69 second work and relaxing and it'll come on fast. Best race for a good while. Back to August since I showed this type of form. Nice to be abvle to do this at my age!

The week of training between races on a short span is interesting. The bvalance between recovering - resting and staying on top is difficult. 

Thursday I ran 5 easy with 6 x 10 sec strides just to wake the legs up. really lethargic. Friday met up with John and went to track. Just a between race session of 6 x 200 (33,34,32,31,33,32) then a mile @ HM pace (5.54). felt horrifically tired before the session. Woke up 2 reps in then had to reign it in a little as it was 400m pace lol. Mile steady to buffer some lactic and then cool down. 

Nothing to be gained before Sunday but a lot can be lost. Looking realistically at what I have been doing and I really need to see my 1500m pace 400s in training come down to 67s. That's the pay dirt right now. Strength is good but crusing speed is still awol.

Saturday - easy 3 and strides

Sunday - race day. Up early. Knackered. Headed to Lee Valley. Knackered. Raced. Kancekered. Long story short, 75 through 400m, 2.32 through 800m. Held 3.10 for first 2 km then drifted and ralleyed. 3.15 last km for a 9.35.

Not overly happy BUT was very tired throughout. Felt flat and laboured and pace always felt uncomfortable.

OK, so it wasn't the result I wanted. Onto the positives - I ran 9.35 feeling tired. Im not 100% healthy. There is more there. I am very strong. I put 17 secs into Nick who is in good form. 

I can and will go quicker than that. I feel like I need another tester in 2/3 weeks but I do need a good training block.

I need to get used to race pace and focussing and not drifting. I need to bring back general strength and I need to work on plyos and hip flexors.

Rest day tomorrow then back on the grind.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo