Training Camp

Since I started TTing in April things are moving along nicely on the bike. Last month or so I've knocked out close to 700 miles on the bike - much more than I've done before with some decent long rides. Starting to feel like I can push on a bit and I'm not quite as shit as I was. Still shit just not as shit :)

Swimming has been rubbish, not nearly enough volume. Open water has been fine - 2 sea swims and a box end lake one where I felt pretty comfy in the wetty but in fairness I've let it slip a bit.

Running has not been right since Cambridge Half to be fair. Paris was shit and everything since Paris has been shit but I figure I'm due a run of form so we'll just crack on some base miles and stick a few tempos in June / July and watch the pace come flying down. Just annoying Mr T gets to spank me at 3 sports at the minute !!

So, training camp in Devon (or Dorset as I told everyone) last week. Ed organised a blinding trip for myself, DC & Mr T - now known as full of shit Turner for the pure lies he spouts about his training ;) We rocked up to the gaff in Stoke Flemming at about midnight on Wednesday and dumped our shit in the garage. The house was like something off cribs which helps. Usually training camps are hosted in absolute khazis !

Thursday morning we set out for our first bike. Jesus the hills were insane! 20% and on and on and on. After 4 miles on Slapton Sands I was sitting no 4 into a feirce headwind and I was just screaming to turn back. Couldn't get power down I had a proper wobble up. From there we climbed and climbed into Kingsbridge and hit the longest climb of the day into the wind to the turnaround. Was really feeling it but luckily the last 10-12 miles were just rolling (previously known as hilly) with wind behind and we smashed 20+ mph feeling really good. Actually felt recovered by the time we hit home for a solid 30 miles. Straight into a 4 mile run off the bike on sick hills with DC & Mr T. Achillies flared up so sone stretching en-route and eventually felt alright by the time we got home. Lunch, rest then back out at 5pm for a 5 mile out and back run - starting 8/mm into a fierce wind and finishing with very low 6's with it behind. Ended the day dipping the legs in the sea. Wine, good food and smashed out a solid sleep session before my head hit the pillow!

Day 2, DC & Mr T slept in whilst Ed & myself hit the sea for a nice 30 min swim. First ever sea swim and loved it, once you get warmed up it's great fun feeling like the milk tray man. Brekko then loaded the bikes into the car and hit for our long ride (wanted to take Dartmoor National Park in). Long story short, these climbs were fucking crazy !! We basically went up 20% hills that turned into 25% hills and every corner turned into another hill! Hot Princetown for lunch and rest (we were all hanging, 21 miles at 13 mph avge). Then hit the quick decent back home with a few monster climbs thrown in for good measure!

51 miles in 3.15 and 5,000ft of climbing - I'll take that. Run off the bike - mile and a half or so then back to the crib for dinner and sleep. Slept like a legend that night I can tell you. Legs never felt so tired but felt nicely tired rather than smashed.

Day 3 up again for a sea swim although the previous days lazy gits got up and did 8 miles and hill reps whilst Ed & I got another sea swim in. Back to the crib and straight on the bikes (minus DC) for an 'easy' 20. Hmm, basically 10 miles of uphill on smashed legs followed by a TT blast home. Now that was fun as we barely dropped below 20 mph and spent a large chunk at closer to 30 !

And that was that! Packed, home and sleep !!!

Got to say was a brilliant 3 days with the lads. Great banter and really enjoyed the company. This was always going to go a long way to my Ironman fitness and I really busted my arse on those climbs. Just hope to see it pay dividends now on the pancake flat 'hilly' routes around here :)

Plan now - keep bike improving, build run base miles and start to get swim back where it needs to be. Half Ironman Sunday as a prep-run out and hopefully see how my nutrition / pace stratergy needs to be for Zurich. Busy week at work so the plan is -


Mon 45 swim & 7 run (done)
Tue 12 run & 4 run
Wed 30 bike
Thur 26 bike inc club TT
Fri 20 bike and 6 run easy & lake swim
Sat REST
Sun 1.9k swim 56 bike 13.1 run RACE DAY!!

Sunday will actually be my first triathon of any kind :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo