Shropshire Triathlon - World Qualifier

After a false start a few weeks ago my racing season finally kicked off today at Ellesmere.

After dropping child #1 off at Cubs camp in Henlow for his first overnight (2 hour round trip) I headed across country to Ellesmere to registration (another 3 hours). I booked a hotel in Cannock (an hour away) ages ago thinking it was a dog shit start, however with a 10.45 wave time it was pretty pointless. So I decided to hit registration on Saturday and bank a few hours extra sleep. Registration was painless and then I did a course reccy in the car. Looked pretty straight forward and could tell right off the bat that the roads were super slick. The bike course is a nice rolling affair, however there are some pretty tight turns and lots of them at the bottom of some steep drops. If the course stayed dry it would be fast, any water and my bambi-on-a-bike handling skills could cause multiple casualties!

Reccy done in about 45 mins I headed back to the Hotel which was an hour away. All in I'd done around 7 hours driving in my new motor. Got to admit it's pretty comfy but was still happy to get out.

All checked in to the Hotel (Premier Inn #class) I had a lonely bastard dinner for 1 at the attached Brewers Fayre. Went for a mixed grill with a bitter shandy if you were interested. Walking in to the 'restaurant' to walking out took less than an hour. Result, with the kids this takes about 3 hours. Walked over the incredibly busy roundabout with no pedestrian access looking mental to hit the local Sainsburys and buy all those last minute essentials I had forgotten to take!

Back to my lonely one man bedroom to watch the Champions League final and put the bike to bed -

- she had a busy day ahead of her!

Woke up bright and breezy, blah blah blah and headed down to the race venue. Stopped en-route for breakfast - a @JackOatbar - which was all I ended up having (mistake #1 not enough nutrition). Parked the car in the first car park, spot looked good but being grass the car sank a bit. Tried to move it and no joy so decided it *might* dry out a bit.

No such luck. It bucketed down ALL day - heavy rain mainly too.

Got into transition, marked and racked by 9.30. Wave start 10.45. Transition closed at 10.00. It shit down with rain #bollocks

Waited for an eternity to start. Now I'm the kind of person who likes a bit of banter at the start, take the piss out of people and have a wind up to release the stress but I had to deal with it on my own. Bit sad but with the help of loved ones I am sure I'll recover.

The mere at Ellesmere seems to be a blue-green algae pond with a small problem with clear water. Sound like I'm taking the piss? Check this bad boy pic out from TODAY -

Source - http://instagram.com/p/oaf5oTMOhL/

Nice!! First wave off all you could see was green splash - no clear water at all for a good 2-300m. Happy days, after all the junk I've eaten today I need that in my stomach!

I was in wave 4 so we shepherded in to the water. Lovely, I start in the weeds far right (swim was all left turns). Start comfortably, sight well, no probs until about half way when Ken Dodd won't stop tickling my fucking toes. Stop to let him past and crack on. All in all, the swim felt 'ok'. Not great, certainly didn't feel like I nailled it but I felt like I was close to where I want to be. Get out the swim without a clue what time and later tonight see I swam a 25.12. Really REALLY pleased with that as I know with more confidence I'll swim harder.

Into transition which by now is resembling an obstacle from tuff mudder! Suit off - whoosh no problems. Absolutely flys off - happy days. Helmet on, number belt on, swig of water, unrack bike I am off. Good so far. Over timing mat - 1.26 - NOT good. Gets worse, pass mount line, on bike. Cant get into my bloody shoes!! Stop, sod about and miss the peddle. Waste 20-30 seconds getting foot in. Finally I'm off. Other foot in (eventually) but I'm really slow away. Spend 400m or so tightening shoes - I am woefully under prepared for this, lost probably a minute from unracking bike already.

Onto the course. From the reccy I knew first 3 miles had to be patient. First mile is narrow and officials everywhere so I start easy. After mile 1 hit the biggest hill on the course. 0.7m and steep. I absolutely cream it at 15.6 mph (no joke, that's not bad it's bloody steep) and then set about making hay on the net downhill first half. Smash past loads of people. 2 suited and booted disk boys come past but that's it. OT loads of people and I am flying.

Problem on the bike course is it's rolling BUT at the bottom of some decents there are tight s-bends. On the first I narrowly avoid the white line which would have wiped me out. It was pissing down with rain so no point taking risks. I'm loosing time on the technical parts taking zero risks but going really well on the straights. Even the hills I'm listening to my pep-talk from the reccy on which hills to attack and which ones to recover. Mr T will be so proud (until he sees the time!)

Just before the first main turn I see first accident on an s-bend. A pro looking type has wiped out and landed in a bush on the opposite side of the road. He's OK though, picking bits of bush out of his helmet (ohh matron) and spinning his wheel. Could have been terminal if a car was comign the other way though.

After turn 1 the pace picks up, really fly down to turn 2 which I take far too slowly. At about 18 miles draftbuster is off his bike giving slow down sign. This time on an s-bend there's a bad crash. Kid is in the kerb opposite side of the road curled in a ball. He looks to be in a bad way although I don't see any claret. Touch wood he's alright.

Avge speed into mid 23's by now and going well. Fell comfortable and not worried about the run. We turn towards home and the road goes UP. Wind (had been tugging at the front 808 a bit) was head on and things get tough. Tough, long hill saps the speed and it's survival mode into the finish. Get passed by someone in my AG and we cat and mouse into transition. Last turn I unclip my heel tabs and the shoe bottoms out almost making me crash. #Fucksake

Off the bike in 1:06.20. Now, I'll say I'm happy cos I rode well for me. It sounds like an excuse because I should have been 3 mins quicker. The rain made sure I couldn't get the best out of the corners, it was a day for locals and good riders. I don't consider myself a good rider like Ian, Tom & Rich. Those boys would have nailled it on that course because they are strong riders and great, confident bike handlers. For me I rode OK in the conditions. Whatever I didn't ruin my run legs and was ready to crack on.

I run into T2. Feet feel freezing. Rack bike, put runnning shoes on. Cannot feel toes but I can't get them in the bloody shoe??? Have to slack off elastic laces (they are new) finally get feet in. Sod about tucking lace ends in laces (sounds complicated? Basically I didn't cut the ends off my elastic and I have 2 ft of elastic flopping about)!

Run anyway, again, probs lost 20 secs in T2 (1.10 but would have been acceptable). Off I go. Sub 6 pace - happy days we'll keep it there. Track goes up hill. For a long way. 6.17 first mile. Does this bitch go down too? Yes, for a bit and then back up again. Steeply. And down steeply. Then up a bit slow and long. Then we turn and come back. Up, down, steep, not so steep. Get the picture? It's bloody hilly. Amazingly splits are consistent at around 6.20 pace. All too quickly the fun and games are all over and I'm in the finisher shoot.

It's shitting down with rain and we stand around for half hour waiting for transition to open. Get bike and knob off back to the car. Car won't budge. #fucksake enlist 8 people (eventually) to help shove the front of the car back so I can get home. Huge thanks to those guys, really done me a favour and I owe each of you a beer. And one of you a towel. Cheers lads, much respect. Brand new car is caked in shit. Bike is caked in shit. I'm caked in shit. I'm cold, wet and miserable and can't wait to get home.

3 hour drive back via KFC and I'm home, all my kit is clean again and I'm ready to hit the wine!

The skinny
Overall - 81st
40-44 AG - 13th
Swim - 25:12
T1 - 1:29
Bike - 1.06:13
T2 - 1:26
Run - 39:08
Total - 2.13:30

OK, lets not kid ourselves. It's not great but it's one of the biggest tris of the year and it's not easy. That run is proper tough. It's a solid start. I'd like to build off that. The swim is an improvement of 1:40 on my pb. Transitions are horrible and will be fixed for next week. Bike is what it is. Not a lot I could do in those conditions. Run was OK, didn't really get out of 2nd gear and hills were just crazy. Next week we go long. I'm excited after that swim, I think I can hold a decent bike pace (I'll aim at 22.5 - 23 avge) and no reason I can't run 1.25 if all goes well. We shall see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block