Tri Season Stars.... with Blue-Green Algae

You know Tri season is ready to kick off, when you're standing on the edge of a freezing cold lake at 7am with 50-60 other neoprene clad idiots ready to do an open swim session!

That very session was this Saturday just gone. I journeyed up at sparrow fart o'clock with Mr Turner towards the end of a pretty brutal weeks training. In fairness training has been hit and miss since London. London was ok(ish). It was pretty much a damp squib. I set off at the right pace, met Micky Moore at 3 miles, held pace until 10. Slowly dropped ppace to 16 and then quads decided they did not like this. One.little.bit. I limped home in 2:56, a decent time however there was no heroic battle to hold pb pace or stories of starting way to quick. My legs didn't play ball and I limped round.

Recovered pretty well after (had a family break) and cracked on. Ish. Some decent bike weeks and poor swim weeks and then pulled my calf.

That led up to last Monday morning when I decided to bang in a hard week to awaken the legs. So, 47 miles of running (went pretty decent pace to be fair) 85 miles cycling (2 TTs and a 30 min hill session) and 4 miles of swimming (record week) left me pretty tired and happy that I'd banked a solid week.

This week it all goes mental. Sunday I race the Shropshire Tri (which may be a duathlon as Elsemere Mere has blue-green algae) so I am easing up a bit for that. Next weekend is Outlaw Half - a big big race which I hope to do to pace rather than 100%. Then it's Grafman English National Middle Distance Champs - again blue-green algae may make it a duathlon and then 2 weeks later the ETU Standard Distance Champs. Phew, lots of racing and not a lot of time for key sessions !!

So the plan is to up the running with lots of easy miles, base work (I know this makes me fast). Keep bloody swimming 3/4 times per week (no slacking) and ride a decent chunk of mileage on the bars to keep aero.

Form wise I'm pretty happy with all 3 but not particularly smashing anything. I'd like to be a bit quicker on the bike but just don't have enough time left. Fingers crossed racing brings it up a level.

Apart from that it's business as usual!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block