ETU Middle Distance Champs - Challenge Paguera

Where to begin with this one!!

Pre-race form has been great. Absolutely no worries with fitness, no niggles or illness, travelled well, slept well and felt relaxed.

Paguera itself turned out to be a lovely place. Bike reccy of 2nd half of the course the day before the race gave the impression of a fast and fair course. Obviously I didn't see the long drag up to Es Capdella but I'd heard it was surprisingly comfortable.

Probably only pre-race mistake I made was not running any of the run course, however it was advertised as pancake flat #hmmmm To be fair I never run the course but it would have been handy here on reflection as would a set of last years results!

Race day

Interesting choice of start time - 12.15 which on the one hand was great as it meant a relaxed morning and no sleep worries. The downside was racing a half ironman during the hottest part of the day - temps reached 36 degrees on the course thermometer !!

Met up with Matt at the race briefing and caught him in transition before the start. We chilled between T1 closing and race start which helped take away any pre-match nerves. Always helps settle me having a bit of banter before the off. Nothing worse than being left with your nerves on your own.

Matt was in the open race so starting 15 mins after me so I was hoping to catch him on course at turn points. Helps to take my mind off my legs when you're trying to pick people out in the crowd.


Mrs P got a great pic of me with the kids before the race -

Swim start came round quickly and the short run into the sea was new to me. Being a short arse I found it hard to run over the waves! I waited for space and picked a clear spot before diving in.

Started easy as there was fair bit of action ahead then got into a nice rhythm.  By the first buoy I was able to pick people in front and start bridging gaps to find feet. Fuck, after everything I've heard would you believe I was absolutely loving this swim!

I was sighting well, moving up and getting on good feet all the time. Felt relaxed and knew I was cracking a decent pace.

On the last turn for shore I actually hit the front of my pack and I was leading a big group hanging off my feet!! WTF !!

Couldn't swim hard enough to get on feet in front by now and I was happy working hard but steady.

First swim I've really known that I nailed.

Out the water is hard work as you have to jump to run out of the shallows.

Now the fun and games. Up the beach and follow the red carpet 500m up to transition. Swim exit chip mat is here so my 33.05 includes a good 2+ mins of running!!

Grab bike bag, shoes on glasses & nutrition out and off to bike. Got a great rack just 10 bikes in. Problem is that transition to bike exit is close to 400m.

Mount line is on a sharp hill, get clipped in and I'm off.

Bike course is technical and is a bikers course. It's not slow but it polarises the good cyclists from the poor. Very little flat and rolls constantly. It's a pace course and a power meter would have been invaluable.

A mile in you start a 4 mile climb that's not slow but still only 16-17 avge and has a couple of sharp sections that sting a little. Head across a rolling section to a turn point which is a cone in the middle of a single track road!  Then it's fast back and turn left and down a very fast but twisty descent. Head across to Palmanova and into Magaluf. Out of Magaluf on a long drag into Santa Ponsa which is technical then big very slow climb into Paguera and a rapid (40+) descent back to T2 & lap 2.

Started ok, saw Matt a lot earlier than expected !! Thought shit he'll have me before the run here ;)

Nearly crashed on a sketchy corner just after turn point. Rode really well from Palmanova onto 2nd lap then started to struggle.

Hit a low point 40 miles in at Palmanova and last 10 miles were a struggle to get effort up.

Into T2 in 2.41 which I knew wasn't great but I didn't notice too many come past.

Have to say drafting wasn't too bad - almost everyone at least made 'some' attempt to stay legal, very little in the way of pelotons out there. Was a group of AG men riding a bit close behind Nicky Bartlett who was fastest women AG overall but apart from that I didn't see the usual sportive crew.

Into T2, rack the bike and then it's 300m up and 300m back to run bag and change tent. Trainers on, grab Garmin & hat and head out.

Check my pace and hold back - plan b already and it's 6.30 pace.  First mile bang on and feel like I could do with a 2nd wind!

Run course description - up stairs along prom, sharp turn, very steep hill up, rediculously steep hill down, dead turn, very hot and windless run along prom first mile over, up steep hill to main street, turn left and drag 800m uphill - toughest part of course, dead turn, 900m down hill - only part of course you can get into stride, loop of our hotel (up then down) which they strangely added a 'floppy cock' shaped addition the day before. Involved 150m up then down hill, dead turn and back another 150m, aid station, down hill, turn left up hill, right turn into finish area, run in a square, turn right, down 20 stairs then downhill 50m. And repeat x 4.

My Garmin clocked 13.66 miles. With the long transitions, 36 degree heat & nature of the course this was a bit unnecessary.

I ran 1.50, some 25 mins down on what I expected. It was advertised as flat and fast but it was absolutely horrific. I would have DNFd at the end of lap 1 if my family wasn't out there that's how bad I felt.

And my run split wasn't 'that' bad!! Fastest in AG was 1.39!! Barely anyone including pros broke 1.30. Really strange feeling running so bloody slow but not really being off the pace.

Finished up in pieces. Toughest race I've ever done. Physically & emotionally drained by the end of it and just wanted to sit down and kick my trainers off.

Fully expected to be about 50th in AG but wound up 17th in 5.13:14. I'd hoped before the race to make top 10 but I can't complain with that position off the way I ran.

So, usually at this stage I'd be analysing what went right, what went wrong and what I need to work on.

However, on the third run lap I'd already decided that long distance events are just not for me.  I haven't enjoyed going long for some time. I've gone through the motions. Iron, half iron & marathon just don't have the appeal any more. I'm nowhere near being competitive.

I just can't seem to bury myself like I can over shorter stuff. I can kill myself over an hour or 2 but slightly less intensity for longer doesn't really happen for me.

So, fuck it - who cares what went wrong. Next year I'm going short and fast!!

Amazing support from all the GB AG friends, family & athletes on the course. And as always from my beautiful family who were out there with me suffering every step of the way.

Thanks for all the messages on FB & Twitter too. Sorry I didn't deliver but next year I promise !!

Xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo