It's all about timing

After last weeks record TSS (1150) I've had a really easy cutback week this week.

It's not been intentional but life has just conspired to it. I've actually been keen to crack out some big volume but sometime that just happens. Rather than get pissed and end up annoying everyone I've rolled with the punches, made the most of the family / work time and actually put in some decent sessions.

Even for me the 450 TSS this week is low. However I'm really happy with what I've banked in that time.

A total rest day Monday was needed after the epic bike on Sunday. Also being out the house for 14 hours at the weekend I needed to top up the emotional piggy bank at home!

Tuesday I had to work so got my run in (1 hour) by dropping the kids at their evening class and running while they were in.

Wednesday I was at home all day helping Ady rip out our bathroom suite, then evening I fit my long swim in again during after school drop off for oldest son. 3 hour window gives me 90 mins in the pool. This week I decided to do a 3.8km TT (at Iron effort) and tag a 200 cool down so only 4km but still not bad. Passed 3.8km in 1.04:56 so a pb. Really enjoying these swims and although I know they're not textbook the distance is giving me huge confidence in the water.

Thursday again helping Ady so no time to do planned bike session. In fairness I wasn't exactly mad keen as I was feeling a bit crap. Got a run in again during kids after school drop off (1 hour window) while kids were at karate class. 56 min easy run around Cambourne.

Friday had kids assembly followed by smashing out a shed in the back garden (I have 3 that we I need rid of) then dashed to the pool to meet Mr T. 3km session doing some 400s and 200s. Pace not quite there yet but getting faster and feeling strong. Really pleased with my swim considering it's start of October and I am getting quicker every week. Touch wood these sessions will be at sub 6 pace soon. Rushed back to sign my life away for new windows for the house. After that rushing about was feeling tired so smashed a couple of beers and had an early night.

Saturday was race day. Spent the morning shopping with Mrs & kids (not taking race serious enough), then headed out with Mr T to meet Rich and Ady for the Leo 30. Last TT of the year and first one for me since July. Have not ridden all week and have not done anything in the TT bike since first weekend of August! No warm up just rode to the start and actually felt OK. 5 miles in I was on 26 avge but feeling a bit leggy. Backed power to 200 watts and just started feeling better. 10 miles in 22.30 and just rolled the miles out. 200W was keeping the average at 26.7ish all the way and it never felt that hard until the last couple of miles.

Was really pleased with the ride. 1.07:35 for 26.7 mph avg is pretty flatttering as it was a really fast day. I ended up 78th out of 130ish riders so way down but it really didn't feel that hard. Lack of conditioning meant I couldn't push any harder so it was managable pace all the way around. Looking at results probably 1.40:30 would have been a good ride around people I normally race well against but I'm happy off no specific work (I've been pretty much winter training) that I haven't lost too much fitness. I reckon my FTP is practically the same and probably 20W up on start of the season.

Son #2 birthday today so it's another rest day. Banked some quality this week so happy with how it's panned out. Next week I'll try and get some solid time in.

Goes to show it's not always about the hours. Sometimes life gets in the way and you can't fight it. I could have trained more every day but it would have caused problems or arguments. Don't get me wrong sometimes (usually) it has to happen but sometimes you just have to go with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block