Harrow Open 800m

Tired is best way to describe going in to today's race! Easy 5k leg opener this morning and felt OK but after a crap nights sleep I have been feeling tired all day. It's possibly just apprehension about the race but def not feeling 100%.

HR at 49 bpm (just ticked under 50 for the briefest spell) at 4pm after coffee and morning so not bullet proof but either way I am racing!

Set off for the long journey to Harrow. Scene of many training sessions in my youth as I lived down the road for 2 years whilst at uni.

Track in a bit of a shit state with building work going on. Nowhere to sit and mud everywhere. I digress.

Warm up feeling OK-ish. I'm fairly apprehensive if I am honest as I have no clue what to expect. In my head I think 2.12-2.15 but anything under 2.15 will be great. Try not to get carried away thinking sub 2.10 lol

Line up and we are off. 11 in my race, a mixed bag. Boys and girls, young and old, even another Preston in the V45 category!

Start is quick but settles and bunches by 200m. At around 350m 'other Preston' makes a great zig-zag through the kids in front and hits the front and gaps the field by 5-6m. I pass the bell in 65.xx probably high 65. Kick a bit and pass a girl on the inside. 2 kids (one in front, one to side) I step out to try and pass but they both respond so I sit back in and one in front clips my leg and stumbles as he moves across.

At about 180m I kick hard (too?) and move into 2nd place. Start reeling in 'other Preston' and off the bend with about 80m to go the 2 young kids sprint past (both finished 2 seconds ahead). I reel in 'other Preston' but 2 people pass just coming in to the line. I was gassed with about 30m to go.

Finish 6th place in race 8 with 2.13:85.

Pretty happy with the time. It's 10 secs faster than last year. For me it's pretty good (don't think many people in front will get close over 5k!) but it was far too short. Pushed hard a few times for me, I would say 3-4 more races and I would nail a time as I'd be able to relax more.

Yeah, I enjoyed it!  Was pretty fun and it's 3-4 seconds off a quick time (for my age). It's definitely a good starting point though!

Jacob ran later on in the 1500m and didn't go well. 4.30 which is a great time but poor from him. He needs to balance himself out when he's racing and it's not going to plan. He'll be back though, stronger than ever. Lessons learned and he's still U15.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block