Hunts AC 1500m

Finally, a proper race distance! I have to admit, I was cautiously optimistic about this tonight. In my head I know 4.30 should be do-able but as always until you have raced it's always hopeful guessing!

Prepped pretty well today and legs felt good.  In the same race as Jacob so logistics were easy!  Headed to the track and arrived bang on 45 mins pre race.

Mile or so brisk warm up, lots of dynamic drills and some stretching and the race came around pretty quick. Conditions were perfect tonight, it was St Ives but it could have been Watford Wednesday #memories

Still in a strange place with Covid regulations but after being hearded into a call zone and jogging to start we were ready.

Bang. We're off.  Race plan - settle in mid pack early. Start hard and relax as quickly as possible.  Outcome - straight to the back.  100m in and I am running hard to stay in touch with the other 5.  Jacob is in 2nd on Ollies shoulder.

200m in and I make the decision to back off. This is far too quick.  Pass 400m in 69, ideal time but I am already 20-30m off the back. I know at this pace they will come back but it's almost a solo TT.  Pass 500m and it's a km to go. Finally the elastic stops expanding. Through 2 laps to go, smooth but working hard and then hit 800m - it's 2.19 for the leaders (Jakes still on the shoulder) and 2.25 for me (actually thought this was a late call). 

Mental maths now, this was about same pace I passed 800m at Kettering when I ran 4.38 last year. Not ideal but lets keep working.

Dig hard as I approach 600m, I can feel the group starting to come back to me, work hard now back off later I tell myself.

Pass the bell in 3.19. 70 last lap I tell myself and it's a sub 4.30. I can work this. Jacob takes the lead and everyone reacts. I kick hard into the last lap, I know what 70 pace feels like.  Into the last bend and I think I can make the catch on 2 in front. they are racing though so can't reel them in. Cross the line in 4.28.  Jacob came 2nd in 4.18 which was under the cancelled English Schools entry time.

Post race, I am pretty happy with that.  Relieved that it went to plan. I'd thought 4.25 all going well and maybe if I had people to work with that was possible but as a starting marker that's a success. Currently ranked 11th V45 in the UK off that so a big improvement on last year.

It did feel rusty which again, is a great sign. That just shows that with more races you can relax more.  It also shows that my 800m, 3k & 5k goals for my next 3 races are all very much realistic.  On the dance floor but I can't quite hear the band.

Important thing now is recovery and to move on.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo