Weight Loss and Running

OK, back on this ting.

I've always considered myself a bit porky for the times I run. Last year I did some analysis of running closer to target time off similar power but with less weight and run some fag packet calculations on what I'd need to be.

Basically for me, I need to be looking at 10 stone flat (don't worry, I have enough spare to loose) to really start to see a BIG difference in performance.

I'm currently 10st 8lbs. I have been as low as 10st 5 last year at my fittest so that's within reach. I was 10st 11lbs a few days ago so I am making progress.

I am looking to race in earnest in December so it gives me a long enough run up at making that change.

Traditionally, any time I have dieted I have fallen off the wagon in a few days and just binged on booze, crisps & chocolate and given it all back. This time I'm doing pretty well (so far).

I'm food tracking using myfitnesspal and keeping below 2157 calories per day. If I am running I have around 700-800 exercise calories per day which is where the magic happens. I've gone from 10st 11lbs at the start of the week and I'm shifting a decent amount. I've eaten out 3 times and had a few beers too so it's not as impactful as I thought.

I've shut out coffee so far and tasty snacks (all the good shit).

Yeah, I'm surviving - if there are results and purpose then I am in BUT I need to see results to stick with something. If I can get below 10st 5lbs that's where I think I'll really notice the difference in times for effort.

On today's long run though I did feel the lack of extra calories from last few days and although it was do-able, it was a real slog fest to get it done.

I'm considering re-introducing coffee as I'm not sure it's impacting my gut health but I'll probably see how tomorrow morning goes.

So, weight loss is half the formula. Less weight = more speed BUT the other half is more power.

I am going to start to introduce intervals now. I'll go for a volume approach so it'll be around 5 miles and the pace / power will be 10k and 5k to get the legs used to putting hat effort in.

I'll increase power at a controlled rate weekly and the idea is that this plus weight loss means that in a few weeks I'll really start flying.

On top of the intervals are near daily strength sessions plus keeping the mileage at or around 55 per week on peak weeks. 

If I can keep all of this going, I have to hope that magic will happen at some stage. Right now I'm still managing a few tweeks and niggles so I'm hoping I get a real run of luck into this block. If not it's back to junk food, 30 miles a week and comfortable sub 17s lol !!

Update - Monday morning weight in - 10st 5lbs - wow it's really happening. If I can get some consistency in training now I am really positive that things wil head in the right direction.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block