Quest for a 15 - pt2 wk 2 / wk 3 / wk 4 - heatwave / cold / rain

Photo credit GALIMOR-Surabhamat

Not sure whats happening but my body is struggling at the minute. I'm feeling some pretty heavy fatigue. Feels like I am missing something. Yesterday was a rest day and today I slept pretty heavy pre-session.

I am on the final run now for track season. I have 8 races where I have a chance to go quicker over 8 different events!

After that it's pretty much done as I'm away then and have a lot on in September / October and it would be nice to just do some base work and switch off from sessions. I think September to November I will just bank some miles and keep sessions to just doing Parkrun to keep myself fresh. I'll then hit some harder sessions in prep for Masters 5k in December and open up from there in prep for indoors. The main plan though is to come out swinging at 400 / 800 and hopefully be sub 60/2.10 strength early doors.

Have some different ideas for winter training. Time to switch that up.

But back to now, I am feeling tired quite a lot. I'll look into what is happening there but seems like I am probably just not getting enough good nutrition in. Not weighed in for a while ...

Monday - rest. 7 hours of driving and absolutely screwed my hip flexors.

Tuesday - Sawyers work experience early starts is finally over tpday. Thank fuck for that. Morning meeting, ended up running at 4pm after a 2 hour nap. No idea why Io am so tired but body feels like it's fighting something off. Jog to the cricket pitch (16 mins at 7s) then 15 x 60 on 60 off. Easy jog back (15 mins).

Felt pretty solid to be fair. Mentally I am struggling a bit and not sure the fatigue is coming from there. Feel like I am on a knife edge of flying or dying. Got it banked though. Efforts about 3k pace slightly harder. Decided to do this over km efforts because of the tiredness. Actually condsidered binning it off completely today so glad to bank something.

Will consider treadmill for next session on Thursday to see if that feels better in current conditions. Just want to feel fresh/

Maybe getting up 6am is just taking a lot out of me but either way hopefully from here on in things start picking up.

Coming to the realisation that I just need to enjoy this run in and what will be will be. Maybe I'll nail some times, maybe I wont. I'm in good shape but I'm feeling flat.

Wednesday Last night decided to eat a lot more to see if it's just lack of food that's causing energy crash. Also got a really good night sleep and no early morning alarm call.

Shakeout jog 3 miles nice and early. Felt pretty good today. Legs still slightly sore / domsy BUT feels like they are starting to come good. Will start tracking food again from today.

CC tonight, need to get in Normatecs before and after.

CC with Bear & Wayne, nice and easy at 8.15s. Felt pretty good, no stress and body starting to feel like it's getting better.

Thursday - up and ache but really solid nights sleep. After mobility and moving about really feels like I am getting over recent 'down' in fitness and form. Plan today is 6 x km over Stories feeling nice and relaxed. Target is 3.15s but have to feel pretty easy at that - realistic 5k effort.

Mentally starting to feel like I can push these last 6 weeks now. I think if my head gets in the game I will finish strong. Did proper warm up this morning and put headphones on. May be time to dig out Garmin again and get music on for runs if that fires me up.

Up to Stories Field. 7.41 warm up feeling OK. Into the session. Little unsure of myself and know this is either death or glory.

Rep 1 - try to feel 5k ish. In fairness it's how I would like the session to feel. It's relaxed and not that taxing. 3.19 - ouch. 4 secs off where it needs to be. Consider binning the session but last time I did similar and it worked out OK.

Rep 2 - push harder at the start. Ignore splits and just run it solid. Work harder into the windy bit and slightly pinching by the end. 3.11. Better. Too fast this time, know it was harder and just need to balance out that effort.

Rep 3 - try to keep it rolling and slightly dialed back. Feels OK at this effort but it's not as easy as I would like today. These solo sessions in hot and windy conditions are just brutal. This would be so much easier in a group. From last bend to home I feel the pinch. Not in danger but it's clearly not easy today. 3.12. Much much better pace. Ahead of schedule and overall time down to where it needs to be. Could do with just feeling this back to 3.14 but near impossible on a road session. Would easily manipulate rep time on the track.

Rep 4 - start flowing on this one and felt better. Hard work into the windy part but try to keep it about where it needs to be. In my head I'm thinking 5 reps is good. Recoveries are shorter than last time I did this session. Legs feel heavier but I am moving. 3.12.

Rep 5 - first from last. Slightly shorter recovery and feel pinch quite early. This one is a tough rep and just feels like I am getting through it. 3.14

Rep 6 - do this one in reverse just to give myself a mental break and a chance that it may actually feel better. Start is much easier with wind reversed. Cruise to half way then the long straight is head wind but I'm working and holding things together. Past the gate I know I am on a decent session and it's not going to go pop !! 3.12.

Cool down as usual but at Stories Way my right ankle tendons flare up. The Vaporfly 3 are incredibly unstable. My foot is wobbling and lack of support means tendons are working overtime. Shoe feels pretty good but definitely a training day shoe and not a race day one. For me the AF1 is clearly much better. Jog / walk back through the ally way and tie runners loop which helps. 13 mins cool down.

Decent session. It was tough, not helped by conditions. 3.12.xx avg today and slightly less recoveries (2.15-2.30 consistently) with no coughing fits. I think the VF3 were too soft for a hard session, much like the Meta Speeds. I'll send them back and try to get a pair in smaller size and see if that helps.

This session is a really good one for keeping that 5k effort going. It's never easy, I would like to try it at 3.20 pace ish and see how that feels as in theory it would be much more enjoyable BUT I need a benchmark sesh with 5k races incoming.

Glad I bagged it, just need everything to recover now and the legs to kick on some fitness and everything will be all good.

Decent block for the last 3 days. Tomorrow will be very gentle and then Saturday bag the long one then it's all easy up until next race.

No double or S&C tonight. Rest up, plenty of nutrition and tracking food. I'll go easy with strides and light S&C tomorrow tho. 

Friday - up early to drop J in town for college. Head out at half 8 for shakeout. Feel pretty tired but ease into it. Just a lake loop and strides on the way back. Legs really starting to come in, finally feels like I am starting to get the adaptions.

Fingers crossed this is the start of a boost in fitness and form as I could really do with a jump! 

Need to stay on top of nutrition and hydration today. Long run tomorrow and then it's the race day taper. Will hit a fast and furious block of 5k racing to seal the deal on that distance then clean up everything else in August !!

Saturday - early long run with Dan. 15(ish) @ 7.20(ish) - felt good actually. Legs really starting to come good. Caught in a deluge 2 miles from the end. Did the Northstowe route in reverse. Much better that way. Good to bank first proper long one for a few weeks.

Sunday - rest day. Ready for Tuesday. Lets loop this block around. Few beers and a curry last night so need to up my nutrition game today / tomorrow. Plan is to get a really REALLY good night sleep. Legs in the normatecs and a nice bath tonight. In good shape just need to feel strong Tuesday. Tomorrow I will do a shakeout with strides as the only run.


Decent week bagged. Book ended by rest and acted as a mini block. 300s on grass and km reps on the road went to plan. Bagged a decent long run and everything else easy. Just need everything to go to plan Tuesday now, turn up and execute, keep it sensible and hope there's another gear in the last km !! 

Feeling strong but mentally I need a booster. If I run well I think the last 6 weeks will be off the charts.


Monday - easy 5 and strides. Feel good today. Legs coming on board. Nailed nutrition and hydration. Need a good night sleep and boxes are ticked !! Not a lot to say about today but just got what I needed to done. Feel excited about tomorrow but nervous. 3 big 5ks coming up in fast succession so legs are either pinging or it'll be a slog fest !! Weather looks bang on for tomorrow at least.

Tuesday - race day !! Up and at 'em. Feel fine today. Easy shakeout - standard 2.5 miles. Feel OK, just a bit throaty with hayfever so hopefully not a problem tonight. Try to repeat the nutrition from last time at Battersea. Kit ready and just need to do a bit of stretching before I leave today.

Head to Battersea. Miss train at Royston by 1 minute. Fucksake !! Hope that's not an omen I should have stayed at home. 40 min hanging around. Jog from Sloane Sq to Battersea and feel absolutely mint. Few poo & pee stops at the khazi and hand my kit bag in. Warm up feeling fine.

Line up. Absolutely carnage, fight my way in to a tiny spot about 3 rows back. No chip timing here it's pure old school stuff.

3-2-1 bang we're off. Settle in and relax, pace feels like it's probably too slow judging by position but effort feels bang on. In an OK spot but it's crazy up front.

This course is different start / finish to the Friday Night Under the Lights that I am used to. Catchers me a bit off guard as I'm familiar with the old markers.

Through the first km in 3.10 - nice. This feels good. I'm in front of the 16 min gang and I settle back behind through the 2nd km. Feel relaxed enough through km 1 but just not got that buzz about me tonight.

Through 2nd km in 6.24 (3.14) bang on pace. Start to drift a little coming up to the end of lap 1. Just off the back of the group but not drifting too far. Frustrating as I know I am surviving a bit now. 

3rd km in 9.40. Clearly I am in good 3k shape off that but mentally I'm not really at the park today. I know I am going to drift here but I also feel like I could go hard in the last km if it was shit or bust. Very, very frustrating feeling.

4th km takes an age. Not 100% it's in right place as it comes up in 12.04 for a 3.24. 

Work harder in the last km. Start trying to attach to a guy drifting back in front. Mental math has gone. The last bend takes an age, every time I expect to see the finish ahead it's just more bend. Work hard to try and keep it together even knowing it's not great. Up to the shoot and glance 16.20 as I pass the line. 

Possibly 16.19, possibly 16.21. A world of difference between the two. 

I'd have scored 16.10 - 16.15 as par tonight so either way it's a little off BUT it's a good 'bad' run. It's on the dance floor, it's just nowhere near the band. 

If it's 16.19, then allow a second for the start position and it's not a million miles off. Just like the Cambs mile though, one of those days I gave myself a chance but my legs just didn't have that 1-2% extra at 3k that I needed. Mentally right now I am pretty weak. I still feel like I just need that bounce in form to take me to the next level but I'm hovering at the bottom end of where I want to be.

First Sri Chimnoy race I've done. Like Watford  and LFOTM I'm doing these classic  races that I should have done years ago.

Travelling feels like a chore when you have to do it solo but I'm always glad I've done them. 

The good wine is still on ice - waiting for me to nail a target which I've been agonisingly close to over every distance.

Next up is Parkrun on Saturday and first proper hit for that for an age.

I need to do what I have done tonight (16.20) to get into the top 30 but realistically 16.30 would move me up to 43rd. Annoyingly that's not much of an improvement on 65th. Problem is Parkrun rankings move pretty rapidly through the year so whatever I do won't stick!

Wednesday - weights. Ange's birthday so booze & food and no running !! 

Track & PR paces - 

16.30 (PR) = 3.18 per km and 5.18 per mile

16.10 (track) = 77 per lap

Was actually 76.8 per lap for half way yesterday so paced correctly should be well within me.

Start out at 3.18 pace and see how that feels on Saturday. Hopefully wake up with good legs !!

Thursday - sad day today, out for Uncle Billys funeral. Good send off. What a man he was. The most fun loving, positive person I've ever met. Made DC look pessimistic! Sadly missed, but what a life he led.

Hit the cricket pitch for the 60/60 session. 16 min jog up there then 10 x on off. 16 mins or so back. 52 mins total I think.

Legs felt pretty good tonight. Pretty relaxed, hopefully they'll come on strong Saturday.

Feeling pretty good about next Thursday's track 5000m now. Looking forward to see the heats. 78 per lap is 16.20 and I feel mega confident if I run even pace I'll go quicker than that. Got to be confident a 16.10 is on the cards after Tuesday. 77 low should be fine, just need to make sure I nail that pace from the start. Garmin is on charge, I think I really need to set that pace timer at 39 secs for 200 splits so I can adjust early and settle in. Get slightly ahead and relax.

Friday - easy shakeout. 5 miles, legs felt pretty horrific tbf. Did some strides on way back. Watched Openheimer at the Cinema, was quality but ate like shit all day !

Saturday - decent nights sleep but felt very tired getting up. Legs utter dog shit today. Aimed to give it a crack but will decide early on in the race if it's 100% or tempo.

Warm up - bleugh as usual but better. 7 mins 30 warm up so quicker than on last weeks session. Into the race, settle down and don't go too mad. One crazy off the front from the gun then join the back of a 3 man train. Through 1km in 3.18 and hold that through mile. Legs just not quite right, back off slightly and feel much more controlled. Through 2 miles in around 10.50. Completely solo but just rolling on the pace. Feel very controlled, push on slightly last half mile but not red lining. Cross line in 16.57.

9 mile cool down for a solid 13.5 - 14 miles and feel pretty relaxed with decent legs by the end.

The new VF3 in size 7.5 work much better. Not 100% as a race day shoe but definitely a good training shoe.

Another solid workout. 2 sub 17s in 4 days. Just feels like my legs have not arrived for either so will focus on trying to install good legs for next Thursday.

Right decision today to back off to tempo. That's by far the easiest sub 17 has ever felt. Would be happy if that's my standard 'turn up and run' Parkrun effort from here onwards. Need to do something with effort either tomorrow or Monday I would say but confident for Thursday night off the back of that.

Nutrition needs addressing - just need to stay healthy as that really helps my mental state.

Feel like I am borderline getting into really really good shape, just feel a little tired and flat. I just need a boost from somewhere that will just drive me over the line.

Sunday - easy run day. 6.5 ish around Cambourne loop. Felt OK, bit tired still. Not sure what I'll do session wise before Thursday but may just err on the side of caution and go in very, very fresh.

Still need to sort Nutrition. Yesterday was shite and started the day with 4 rasher bacon sarnie lol

Monday - decent nights sleep. Definitely needing a bit more at the minute so maybe something not 100%. Didn't need a nap yesterday so possibly coming out the other side. Not able to get up 7am on the nose feeling good though so PR is a struggle until that starts happening again.

Busy day and weather is shocking with rain planned all day so will get on the treadmill for first time in a while today! Plan is a repeat of Battersea / Mid Chesh 3 days out which is 4 x km @ 5k pace and 4 x 60/60. 

Legs feel OK this morning. Plan is get this done today and then I'll either rest tomorrow and jog Weds OR switch-a-roo.

Into last month now until track and racing season wraps up. All eyes on this Thursday, I think that'll shape what I do for the rest of the month. Lots of travel and late night racing potentially.

Looking to Thursday, I really don't see a 15.xx happening from where I stand. I'm actually OK with that, I would rather bank a really solid effort rather than take a shot and fail miserably.  Off the back of last Tuesday and the way I ran it I think 16.10 is very much on the table. If I start at that pace (nothing silly first 4-600m) I think it'll be comfortable enough to drag a result out but it will give me a straight shot at a fast last km if everything went really well.

That would be 77/78 per lap and 3.14 per km (3.14, 6.28, 9.42, 12.56 splits).

Today's session I'll run at 18.8 kmph (3.11 per km) which should feel comfortable then the 60s at 19.5

Feeling pretty confident about Thursday with the only exception that there are 36 listed in my race and it's a really late start (8.41 pm !!). It's going to be a fight to get an inside lane without getting blocked or starting like a nut case! Even if that drops to 30 that's still a lot of bodies to contend with.

Session was OK. Standard treadmill warm up then 4 x 3.15 @ 18.8 kmph off around 2.30ish recvoery.

Did 1 min of 60/60 @ 18.8 but binned it off as started to feel fatigued. Longer 2 mile external cool down.

Held it together for the km reps. Obviously fatigued as I've had a run at it since Thursday off the back of a race. First treddy session for ages and it always feels weirdly tougher pace but easier on the legs as you get used to settling into a session.

On the whole, bang on where it needs to be. No big movement in form since April but clearly still in good shape.

Deciding now what the rest of the month looks like. Not 100% if I'm not going to pb or sb anything that it's worth doing esp if there's travel involved.

I'll run Thursday and decide but pretty certain I'll do a Watford 3000m but unsure on everything else. May even eye up a 10k if there's one available or even just go at a Parkrun time.

Plenty of time until last race so I have a decent set of options open. First up though, lets nail a solid 5000m time on Thursday. 

Tuesday - feels like Wednesday today lol. Easy 5 miles up and down the hill. Feel simultaneously really good and really bad. Expect to be tired as coming off a decent block of training. Legs feel like they're ready to start popping along. Maybe just maybe there is life in the old dog yet eh! Plan now is a really good rest until Thursday afternoon and then a shakeout before heading London for Tracksmith 5000m. I feel tired, really need to feel fresh, it's seemed like forever.

Mentally a lot is hanging on the race, I feel ready to cool off for an end of season break but I just know if it goes really well and motivation returns then I'll be cock on to fire into the last race opportunities.

My head is wrapped around what I need to do once these last few races are done. I'll do 8 weeks with no sessions at all and the first 2 will be very low key followed by 6 weeks of pure base building.

Going into winter my main focus is developing leg drive - this is going to be key for getting 400/800 speed and potentially going to either 400h or steeplechase for next season.

Head is set for Thursday, not sure I can be arsed with travel and evening races from here on in. 

Going solo on these is sucking the life out of me! I really would like to have a fast 3000m but I may just attempt to hit that at the Vets league as I'll be there anyway. Watford at 9.10pm feels a big old ask but then again it could be done if I am mentally rejuvenated. It's going from pbs in every race to slowly dropping and I'd like to finish up the season on my terms rather than just fade to shit.

Wednesday - rest day. Hopefully enough that recent block comes good for tomrrow night. 

Thursday - race day. Legs feel good this morning. Head - definately needing something to click tonight. Got that 'stay too long' vibe going one right now with this season and I could mentally check out of outdoor track '23 if it's not a decent effort.

16.10-16.15 will be par tonight - announce that early. Know if I keep it sensible early doors that I can run what I ran last week. 77/78 per lap is the target and I just need to focus on keeping that first 200m under control and settling in to a nice spot on the inside.

In all honesty going into a race thinking 16.20 is pretty standard is actually a massive step forward on where I have been last few seasons. End of tje year is on a knife edge right now and I will find out which Daz Man is going to show up.

Blowing it up a bit but I am really looking forward to tonight, I do have excitement for it. It's the rest of the races and travel I am looking at. I'm not sure what I feel like doing after this as I have some league commitments anyway. A lot hinges on how tonight goes as it may be the race that re-lights my fire !!

Looking back over July and it was basically a tough Parkrun (17.11), 400h & 400m PB, Battersea 5k then a tempo Parkrun (16.57). nothing inspiring at all. It's been a month since I had a great race at the Watford 1500m.

I most likely just went too invested on the Battersea / Parkrun double and it never came off for me. So tonight is the chance to rescue July I guess !!

Ate well yesterday so today is all about getting to the start line feeling primed. Good mobility this morning, get a shakeout in and then make sure I eat well.

Easy 2.5 shakeout on the usual route. Felt better as it went on. No real issues just need to prepare for a late race and execute!

Big big epiphany on the run. I need to get into a track focused group this winter. Maybe it's a change of clubs. I know there are options in Cambridge, Peterborough, Bedford & Hertford but as it stands there is nothing open to me on my doorstep outside a marathon group. Every second counts!

Tracksmith Twilight 5000m London Race 1

Arrived early, couple of hours spare. Parked at Westfield and worked my way over. The new breed of racing is where it's at. Music pumping, cool vibe, food and booze and racing.

Track set up looks weird as it looks like you're in lane 2 as the way back and home straights use inside space to make 8 lanes.

Missed a trick not bringing Alphafly as could have got away with them !!

Warmed up OK, 24 in my race (out of 36 entered) only issue for me is 8.40pm is far too late for an old timer lol

Got a start right on the inside. Weirdly we had chip timing which was amazing as we got lap splits. That really helps working out timing what went wrong.

Settled down early. 3 pacers in my race for 15.45 and 16.00. On the back of the 16 dead group but there was some crazy stuff going on getting position.

About km in start drifting off the group with a couple of Belgrave guys. Big wind on home straight so I'm not keen to move around. We get 3 extra guys that sit just behind me. Through 4 laps in 5.09/5.10 which surprises me. I feel pretty comfortable but I'm not fired up again to make the move to group.

Through 2.2km I take the lead of my group and feel no one coming with. Group in front is still tight and about 7-8 secs up.

3km in 9.46 I know it's not quick but I also know I need to solo 5 laps here so settle into rhythm of going harder into wind and easier with wind behind. Catch and pass a couple of guys who can't latch on then coming into the bell there's 2 guys slowing. 

Big kick on the home straight, can't quite get the one in front and finish up 11th in race in 16.21.2

Wry smile afterwards. Looks like form has settled. Straight back to the car and drive back. Home by 10.30pm.

Late solo races is done for me this season. It's been an adventure but I CBA to go through this. Feel like a zombie. 100% I am finding a group lol.

Friday - few beers last night. Good chance to clear the head and start planning. In all honesty I'm pretty fried but in good shape so I can still get some more juice out of this season.

I have East Anglian league this Sunday where I'll do another 800 & 400 double. I'll hit it out at sub 2.10 pace and see what happens and do the same for the 400 and see if I can get a little closer to 60. I haven't actually done any speed work for about a month so I guess we'll just have to play this by ear. Low pressure, not really fussed it it doesn't happen as I haven't committed to a speed work block.

After that I actually have a nice break up until the Vets league for Enfield over 3000m. Yes it's an evening race BUT at least I know people there and I'll try and talk Ange into coming. I'll actually hit this one hard, it's over 2 weeks away so plenty of time to mentally recover and prepare for it. It's obviously not as good a race opp as Watford BUT I think there's no pressure plus it'll be quite funny to knock something out there. Also, good chance it'll be slow overall so it'll pop up my Runbritainranking. My 4.28 1500m is still my best result on there lol I'll aim at starting 74/75s which may be a stretch but I'll put some work into building into it at least.

From there I'll do the SAL on the Sunday but I'll probably do 400h. I may switcharoo depending on whose running and how the 3000m goes but right now I think that's about right. That'll be my sign off, there is a last gasp Watford but I think I am clutching at straws right now.

I'll take pressure off from here by totally relaxing the diet. No tracking, no rules. I think that'll help get my head straight. I'll aim to train as per normal (2 sessions per week) through this block and then after holls I'll go to base building. 

What is important is that a) I am not injured and b) I am in bloody good shape.

If I am running 16.20s regularly without being fully charged then I am not a million miles away from a spark. It's important that what I do makes me faster when I need to be.

Anyways, out for an easy 5. Jesus, worst I have felt running in a  while !! Got asked to rep EMAC Vets on 6th Aug so not all bad !! 

Saturday - easy hour with John M discussing training and plans. Something brewing there, think that's my plans sorted! Just need to finalise that but once I reset for winter in October I reckon that's my option.

Sunday - woke up feeling horrific. Drizzy and sick. Had to sack race off today. Went back to bed until about 11.30am and just starting to come around.

Very strange, wasn't right at all. Possibly virus of some sort but feeling really low right now. Will obviously rest today and probably tomorrow at least.


Not a lot to say about this little block really. Motivation really low right now, feels like I need a break. I do have 2 bets races coming up and SAL where I'll do 400h so not a lot to worry about. Feels like I need a mental reset. Lots to think about but one thing I am sure of is there are big changes coming my way for running when I start properly again!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block