Frostbite League - BRJ

So, after a decent 22 mile long run last weekend, have managed to put together a decent week of training -

Sunday - 22 steady
Monday - 6 recovery
Tuesday - 13 miles easy
Wednesday - 9 miles @ 6:25/mm
Thursday - am) 6 easy pm) 9.5 with 4 @ 5:25/mm
Friday - 6 easy
Saturday - REST

Today was our home Frostbite on the old BRJ course. I set my 26.47 (oa)PB round there in 2010 with 26.47 and off of Thursdays tempo run (first 4 miles on the course at 5:25 pace) I hoped to go anywhere between 27.15 and 27.30 but hoped if all went well to maybe sneak a pb :)

Picked up Ian T at 9.30 and headed over to the leisure center to meet DC.

20 min warm up including most of the first mile and some stretching indoors, it was absolutely pissing down outside!

Jog to the start, race tactics kind of sorted (don't start too fast, unload down the hill) and a few quick hellos.

Bang, from the off it's quick. Hard getting traction and trying to hog the inside with parked cars is a nightmare as I get cut up by about 5 people. Give a C&C guy a big shove in the back, wasn't out of spite was just momentum as I was heading for the floor!!

Round the bend and across the road, up the hill and turn for the first mile. Have turned lap pace off and surprised to see 5:08 for the first mile marker as it feels ok (or as ok as it ever feels)!

Was like a marathon at the mile marker, there must have been 25 of us all spread across the road at this pace and am not far off the leaders.

At this point Kye pushes the pace to join the leaders and a group forms ahead of about 6 people. I push on to join the back and a couple drop off straight away.

Work through the 2nd mile with 2 C&C and a new Werrington kid just ahead. Cruise through this mile maybe a little slow, think this one was about 5:35 ish and seems long?

Up the hill for mile 3. Have done 3 tempos on this course in the past month and that helps massively! Have gotten better each time and today was the strongest. Easily drop a few and push towards the guys in front. Some good names not far ahead and I'm working hard but feel good. Legs start to feel sore though which is a worry this early. Mile 3 in about 5:45 ish.

Into mile 4 and Im running hard to get to the hill. In 8th place and 2 guys in front go wrong at the turn. Sure the marshal was in the right as I heard stay on the road but maybe they were confused as they go above the road as I did on my first tempo on this course! I push on a bit here as I am trying to drop the PACTRAC guy who is a really good runner.

Work down the hill but legs don't feel as good as they did the other day. Certainly not as fast and the last bit of the mile is a bit slow, turn the sharpe right to the end of the mile and I am trying to relax. Hit the 4 mile marker and know 26.xx is close. Guessing 5:25?

Last mile, legs are cramping and about halfway in the left calf goes close to popping. C&C guy that went wrong (Ben?) passes me and I latch on but actually he deserves it. He slows on the uphill and I pass then my momentum into the park is good but my calf goes so bad I run on the wet grass to try and ease it in. Run into the finish chute on the grass and nearly go arse over tit but see 27.11 on the watch (27.09 official :) ) for 6th place.

=2nd best ever Frostbite finish so really pleased with that, got the time I was after and it wasn't great out there. Just think things are going well running long and trying to get some quick running in. Will just try and keep it going now.

Big races are Thorney 10k and Victoria Park 5 now - can go for good times in those if things keep going well. After a horrible, horrible year in 2011 where I went from dissapointment to dispair this year has been such a nice feeling to start enjoying racing again.

Cambridge Half does not look like it's going to happen next weekend and as my focus shifts away from racing London I don't fancy Finchley 20 either so may just run at home and go long Wednesday.

Need to start looking at where things are going well. I seriously need to look at a strength session once a week too as my quads/hammys/calves are just going to get worse and I'll end up injured again just as I get properly fit.

Calves very sore now so hopefully wake up with them feeling good and ready for a recovery run

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block