Planning Ahead

When I can't run, I think a lot about what I have done in the past - what works, what didn't etc.

I know recently I hit a plateau in certain areas of running, while other areas wen't better than ever. Before London, I had become immune to adapting to running around 5.35/mm tempo runs. So much so that my last 2 races (10k & 5 miles) were around that, I had also done a lot of tempo work at that kind of pace on our Thursday runs. I was struggling to get faster at this pace while running around it was becoming easier. Good sessions and races were more about how I felt on the day than what I was capable of.

General fitness was better than ever & efforts below 'marathon effort' 6 miles @ 6.10 ish pace for example was easier than it had ever been. I really enjoy running at this kind of pace in training.

The biggest flaw in my training was specific long runs. I either hadn't done enough long runs OR I hadn't done the 2/3 at around marathon tempo effort that were required.

BUT, and the big but (just like mine after a week of beer and Harribo) is that I am generally fitter than ever. I have a great base, and a base is what you need to push on towards what targets you want to hit.

Targets for me are the real concern right now. I have options but they are miles apart. I would like to jump back on the marathon bandwagon for Berlin and have a real crack at that 2.3x that evaded me painfully on Sunday. I would like to crack 16 mins for 5k. I would like to run well at lots of distances on the road this summer.

One thing is for sure, I am not going to dedicate my time to track races this year. I will run, I will compete but I won't be targetting it. Well, probably not - I guess we'll see what happens :)

So planning training. I am away on hollybobs soon so I need to work out a sructure that can fit in the essentials, not take up too much time and be stripped to the bare bones to fit around the family if needed.

I really would like to incorporate these kind of sessions -

10 miles with 12mins/12mins/12mins (155, 160, 170)
10k progressive tempo (~7/mm -> 5.3x/mm)
3 x 3k, 6 x mile
13 miles @ 6.30 pace
14 miles @ 143 bpm easy
6 miles very slow jog
1 day gym/bike/swim

I think that gives me options to progress off the base I have. I want one very hard interval session per week BUT I want to add another 2 'harder than normal' sessions into that mix to bring thngs along. There is nothing wrong with how I am running right now but it's time to start moving up a level!

Legs today are OK. Jogged 4 miles yesterday out of frustration from Sunday more than anything. My head is still changing form 'great effort' to 'massive failure' via 'nice 10k split' !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo