The Wiggle Sportive

So, today was the Wiggle 'No-Excuses' epic sportive. 80 miles with a nice 30 commute there and back from Cambourne to make my first century ride. Or not, the excuse given was bad weather so only the standard 40 mile route would be on today!

Up nice and early, rode to Mr T's house then blasted with a fierce follow wind to Huntingdon racecourse at 20 mph avge feeling pretty easy. Find out the route is down to 40, bollocks, wait for Ed and we're off!

From the start I don't feel amazing - legs take a wile to settle. It;s annoying because I felt so easy on the ride in but they have stiffened a little. Never mind, will warm up. Wind from the gun is brutal into our face and we're going to get it for the first half. Pain in the arse but hey, same for everyone.

Mess up the start and let Ian and Ed get away in the early packs and can't bridge the gap. Get into trouble with the wind and have to sit in slowly around Grafham then a nice long road stop. Bollocks. Get involved with a group of 2 guys and a tri guy for a good few miles but I have to take longer turns at the front to keep the pace up and on a good straight I blow them off the back. It's a shame as could have done with a solid group to work with. From then on it's a completely solo ride in.

Groups I catch are going far too slow and individual riders that pass are really strong. Slowly start loosing power on hills and then into wind sections. Half way feels forever and the run home although wind assisted for the most part has a couple of sharp climbs.

Long story short I am spent, head goes down and it's not good at all. Get back to meet the boys who have had pretty good rides then start the long, cold, windy slog back.

Fair play to Ian for waiting for me. Ride with Ian and Ed to Huntingdon, boys are feeling OK and push the pace a bit past what I can do and blow me off the back. Head down, it's a real hard slog on the danger road back to Papworth and it's simply a matter of turning peddles till I get home.

Home for 69 miles in just over 4 hours. Not a good ride at all but 4 hours training time. Now I just need to recover as best as I can for tomorrows long run.

Not sure what went wrong today. Wind certainly took a lot out of me. Not being able to get into a group cost me and I certainly let my head down towards the end which made it extra tough. Nutrition - I don't think I ate enough (1 bar and I still had half a bottle of energy drink left when I got home). Illness - probably still in system. Bike set up - changes stem and seat last night, may have cost me even though in theory it should have helped.

Just fucked off really that I did so much worse than I should have. Been strong on the bike recently, inconsistency is just a killer for me and depresses me so much. Wouldn't be too bad if I had some good runs mixed in there!

So, all done now. No century ride, no good ride just 4 hours in the books. First time I have really questioned if I have what it takes to do ironman which probably depresses me the most.

Ho hum, another chance to redeem myself tomorrow. Recover, eat well and have a couple of beers tonight and back on it in the morning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo