Back.On.It

After Paris last Sunday and my doomed run, I spent Tuesday-Saturday in the Lake District with the family Preston.

It was a lovely little break, some amazing scenery and good food and plenty of sleep had me refreshed. I read the book 'Iron War' about the 1989 duel in Kona between Dave Scott and Mark Allen. What a book. Talk about rev up the old engine. On Thursday I had enough of the shackles and hit the Hotel 14m swimming pool for a steady 30 min swim. The pool was oval shape with a tiny bit roped off (less than a meter), god knows why?? I used it as my personal lane. I flew up and down, old biddies and kids alike were washed out of the way. A 5 year old ventured into my lane at one stage only to be saved by his dad from a charging Daz Man (I had dropped to 6 strokes a length on that one to clear him).

My Friday run was alas not so impressive. The pace police would not have been happy and my quad and achillies were properly fucked. But it felt real good to be back running.

Saturday evening I did a short 5 mile run when I got home and legs started to feel more like their old selves. Still hobbling like a knob but not as bad as the harlem shake style run I did on Friday. 6.30's seem a ways off but enjoying running again and looking forward to legs easing off and hitting some tempo miles (or sub 7's on current form).

Today was bike day. It's been 10 days (start of a confessional) but was confident I'd be alright. Met Mark in Cambourne and headed down to St Neots. Met the group 2 boys and crawled along for 25 miles at about 15.5 mph into a serious head wind. Put in some good shifts into the wind and killed a couple of hills so wasn't all about the pace. Stopped at half way ish and upped the pace coming home. Few farting about stops but averaged pretty close to 20 mph for 25 miles including a mega sprint with a few mins at 27 mph and dying. Back to the cafe easy and a slow ride into the wind home with Mark. 73 miles in 4 hours 20 - nice training time and better ride than the shitty avge pace suggests.

Got nutrition and drink massively wrong though. Half a power bar and a couple of bottles on a long ride is not enough and I will come unstuck next week if I don't sort it. Not the first time I've fucked my shit up.

Really keen to nail the bike now. Got to up my game and get close to 200 mpw at least or I will be surviving the bike rather than riding it in Ironman. Big ride next weekend, hoping for at least 130 in the bag.

Also, after decorating my bike last week (new wheels, new tyres, new saddle, new handlebars) - nothing fell off and it felt much MUCH quicker climbing. This is good :) Going to clean it tomorrow and probably commute into work on Tuesday for a real big week.

Here's the ride

Before I rode I plugged the marathon boys numbers into the Brighton Marathon App and followed their progress while I was riding. Big shout to Dan - 2.57 doing my dying swan and turning his feet into something from Embarrasing Bodies, Alex for a huge PB and a 3.01 (and a year of everyone telling him 'if only' - I have been there mate) and Stevie B's bro Ross for a debut 3.38 to 3.42 depending on if his phone or Steves watch were right #WTF

Plan this week is to get some good swim miles in. 2 good swims and 3 miles at least. Bike is all about the 130 and target 225+ miles. Run wise I just want to run without feeling my achillies is going to fall off and my quad isn't going to explode. Good weekly hours - 15+ and start a nice strong phase of training now. Target for Ironman is raising the stakes and not feeling I am on a limb when I get close to distance - want to feel like I can drop some good hours at any time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block