Paris Marathon 2013

Never been a fan of Paris, the metro stinks, the food is shite and the people hate the English. But this time I was here on business, marathon business!!

Arrived in Paris late on Friday. Thursday had my last proper run at home in a brutal cold wind, averaging 7.08/mm for 6 miles or so. Felt good and knew I was in pretty good shape going into this. Eurostared into Paris with Marky and checked into Hilton no probs. Ate well and hit the sack at 10pm local time feeling tired. Had a really bad night sleep and woke up at 10.30am France time. Quick jog and notice my ankle is in pain - pretty bad pain to be fair but I feel amazing running. Quick stretch, breakfast, Expo, walk, food & bed. That's the build up.

Wake Sunday morning at 7am local after a brilliant nights sleep. Porridge goes down well for breakfast, get kitted up and out the door and hit the start bang on with 5 mins to go. Perfect on a cold day and I've had a good stretch so ready to rock and roll.

Off we go at 8.35 am local (that's 7.35 am UK - if you know me then you'll know this does not make me happy!!). Start in the 3 hour pen and overtake loads of 'ambitious' people at the start. In control and feel good. Hit the first few k's in around 6.20s. In fairness it already feels like that's a bit quick. In my mind I had planned to run at this pace BUT I expected it to feel like I was holding back.

From 5k I back off to 6.30 pace. My ankle is sore every step of the way BUT I don't feel my blister which I compeeded up last night. You win some you lose some!!

Next 5k split was 20.30 and I run that for the next few 5k sections. By half way it feels tougher than it should, 1.26 should not feel hard at all. Wonder if it's my ankle but just seems one of those days where 6.30 pace feels like 6.20 pace. Annoying.

From then on to be fair my ankle eases up and I don't feel it at all - even now no pain whatsoever which is odd considering every step was painful in the first 13 miles. That's good but I'm starting to get aware that my quads are cramping up. Work through 16 miles and hit the usual 'less than 10 to go' boost. In fairness I realise I haven't done enough long runs as 10 feels like a long way! Dissapointed now as I know I am only going to slow and I'm already off 2.50 pace and running slower than felt easy the previous weekend.

Around here we run along the Seine and the road goes down and up sharply through the tunnels which smashes my quads to peices. Quick stop after 30k to stretch quads and back on it and from then on I mentally switch into survival mode. The race is far too tough and it's taken me by surprise. I know my quads need a stretch at least every 5k and time is getting against me. In fairness considering I have to shorten my stride to relieve them I actually run at a decent pace when I'm running - around 6.35-6.45 pace. Feel easy enough but I'm shuffling with a limp and not really enjoying it.

20-22 miles goes fairly quick and it's a real struggle to 24 miles as we hit the park. I stop at the 24 marker for a final stretch. 20 mins to run 2.2 miles. i know it's in the bag BUT quads are really painful. Actually have to stop because I can't run any further.

Back on it and get myself to 25 miles then 41k. Last mile or so is fairly relaxed as I just want it over with. Finish up and all I can think about is getting off my legs!

Finish time - 2.56:43 - sub 3 in the bag. Lets be honest I was shit today BUT I had to tough that one out. I didn't enjoy it and annoyed that my legs have been so battered last couple of races. Purely down to leg conditioning so at least I know how to fix this one.

Home Sunday night after a good few beers and vino. Rest up for a few days then serious business of Ironman training starts again.

First #stIvesElite marathon of 2013 down and just hope the rest of the clan do the business!

Looking forward to planning training now as I look to go longer on the bike and harder on the run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo