Stowe Middle

Last tri of the season, and a race I entered a couple of months back just to give me something to keep my eye in coming off Ironman/holiday and going into winter.

If I'm honest I never expected to do much here, it was always going to be more about a good solid workout and keeping in good shape. However, still thought I'd be alright.

Usual race day deal, Mr Turner picked me up and we arrived without incident. I'd changed waves to start in the slower wave 1 rather than the faster wave 2. I was thinking that being one of the slower swimmers that are 'faster' finishers I'd be better off getting out ahead rather than hanging back. I also thought that starting half an hour in front of Ian meant he wouldn't have to wait ages for me to finish!

So wave starts 9.30 me in the slow swim, 10.00 am the fast middle distance and 10.30 the sprint and standard mob. So I thought, turns out assuming times based on 2 other logical times means nothing. It was a 9am start and we arrived at 8.30. Luckily everyone wanted to hear the race briefing so this was a golden chance to have a pre race poo which was a godsend as I actually thought I was going to have to wait till after (or during) the swim.

Into the water and at 9.15 we were off. Got to say, the swim went brilliant. I didn't really worry about drafting, I picked my line and took the feet when they were offered. Think I came out the water 7th / 8th place and was always in the mix at the top end of my wave which felt amazing. Enjoyed the swim, have put a lot of effort into it recently and it's paying off. Also, just a couple of lessons with Adam @ Greenlight has really helped me get some confidence back after I lost my mojo at Ironman. Felt long in the water and fast (for me). Now, don't get me wrong - I'm still rubbish BUT not as rubbish as I was - and THAT'S progress !!!

Out the water, dizzy as hell but not worried as we have an 800m uphill run into T1. Trainers on and I try to put on half my bike gear on the run. What a dognut, I should have kept it simple. I basically run slowly & drunkenly uphill failing miserably to pull on my arm warmers. I ended up doing the whole bike with them half way up my arms. Kind of make the aero helmet pointless! Into T1 and my usual slow transition. Swim time - 34.15 REALLY CHUFFED WITH THIS.

Onto the bike and the course is 3 laps. Reccyed it on Thursday so know the deal. Basically it's fast fast downhill out of Stowe and a few rolling hills to join the loop at 5k. Then it's fast rolling for 5 miles, hard up but good road for 5 miles and 5 miles net downhill. Repeat times 3 and back home the way you came out only slightly uphill.

That's the theory, the reality is these were the worst road conditions I've ridden on. No joke. The first section mentioned is actually OK and you can probably gain some time here and keep a half decent rhythm going. The second section was into the wind - probably the worst direction the wind could have been heading on the day. And for a poor cyclist in poor form like me, this dropped the average speed. A LOT. Good cyclists would have been able to hold speed here or drop marginal but this is where you'd see the big guns ripping acres of time out of the minnows like me. The 3rd section is where good strong cyclists would make up a lot of time - I'd say on good roads I'd expect to average 26/27 comfortably on this segment. But with road conditions being so rough the bike was bouncing all over the road, I couldn't get any power down and my arms (from gripping so hard) tightened my neck, shoulders and lower back and made it painful. What should have been where I not only gained all my speed back but also recovered, just ended up being a stressful 14 mins. I only averaged about 22 on this section and was only pulling 23/24 on the faster bits.

To top it all off when I got back into Stowe I dropped my chain about 400m from the finish. Twice! Bike - 2.40:05. Probably being harsh on myself but just didn't enjoy it and didn't feel like I was in anyway in the race.

So into T2 and see only about 6 bikes in transition. Cool :) that's closest I've ever been to the pointy end even if it's with an hour head start!

Onto the run and get lost within 100m. Signage awful, just needed a right arrow but as was par for the run course the lack of marshals on the first lap was poor. For a £90 event that was bad, it was 5 laps so they should easily have been able to make this easier to follow and on laps 1 & 2 the gate at half way wasn't even open!

Lots of people milling about, even nearly got taken out by a golf buggy with two old timers at one stage but you expect that on a National Trust event so not really too fussed.

Run started well but was apparent within 2 miles that the bike had shreaded my run legs. Also, I was so disappointed with my bike that mentally I was just thinking about getting round with minimal fuss. The run actually I respected. It was tough, it basically went downhill for 2.1k then uphill for 2.1k. Anything downhill in the 2nd half was flush downhill so you were breaking and smashing your quads. The last hill was a beaut and you had to really judge the run up right to keep going over the top.

Finished up with a 1.34 split so shocking in real terms but in Stowe half terms pretty decent. A long way from the top guys (1.22 - 1.27) BUT the course separated the men from the boys.

So, wound up in 10th place with 4.57:15 which I have to say isn't that bad. What the course did was take your weaknesses and magnify them. I'm not 24 mins slower on the bike over 56 miles than Ian but I am here. If your strong you'll go well, if you have weakness it'll wear away at you.

Wouldn't do it again, it's not scenic enough to justify the amount of laps you have to do. The bike course conditions were just not fun, I like to enjoy the bike and have fun - this just sucked the life out of it for me. Great place to train but if you're looking for a good solid race this just isn't worth it unless you fancy taking the £1,000 first place prize pot (entire prize pot it turns out).

Heard there was a fatality on the bike but haven't seen confirmation so hoping that was just hearsay.

Massive respect for Mr T for ripping up the middle again. That bike split is nothing short of unreal. Had a good swim after doggy paddling last week and run was really good on that course. 3rd place against top opposition at the pointy end and the kid is going to be a headline act again (he loves that). Needs to get picked up by a team, can't standard but bike makes his middle world class.

Also big shout to Tom Stead for winning the sprint race by 7 mins! Another massive win for the kid. Thanks for the support those last couple of laps and also for @GreenlightPT team leader Adam and Toms ma & pa. I always look like I'm not trying hard and messing about but believe me I kill myself out there and even though I was rubbish at the weekend I was putting myself on the line again.

First tri season is now done. 1 standard, 3 middle and 1 iron. Not a bad return. Next up #base and build myself a castle so next year I'll smash it!!

#gohardorgohome

Picture credit David Hawtin. Cheers ears!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo