Southern League Sandy

Sometimes you're so far from the target it seems all but impossible. I train and live OK as an athlete and on the whole I get a pretty solid return from my investment. But not today, today was one of those days you could easily walk on.

800m was first up. 2.10 was the absolute A target - this was a big stretch. 2.12 - 2.14 was the sweet spot. 2.15 would be disappointing. Anything slower inconceivable.

I must admit was I wasn't 100% feeling it. My sciatic issue was a little strange but not stopping me running. In the non scoring race and from the gun it was an 'oh shit' race. Off the back from the start (Geoff behind me but he waived the white flag at 600m).

I passed the bell a long way back thinking shit, if this isn't 62-63 I am bang on trouble. 67 / 68. Ouch !! Dug in, really not in the game. Tried to reel in the back markers but had zero gas today. It was like I was missing a gear, i just couldn't relax at pace. It was 100% effort for 90% speed.

Crossed the line. Told it was a 2.17 ish and I can't really be arsed to find out clarification.

Bad, bad race but it's done and you can't re run it.

On to the 400m. Tired but warmed up. Get a little more focus and just run hard. Hit 200m and I have one jogger miles behind and rest of the field about 1-2 sec up. Fade massively in the last 100m but work pretty hard. Better. Much. But still pretty pony. DC reckons 62.5 which is actually pretty respectable after that 800m.

So not a great start by any means. I really need to work on speed and it's the start that's killing me. I need to run volume 200s at pace off short recovery and 600 & 400s off a hard start and float finish to get used to going out.

It's not terminal but reality is a bitch sometimes and that says 2.09.99 is going to be the absolute limit this year.

I have a 400m on Wednesday so if I can get my head right and warm up properly it'll be a 59 attempt although from here that's a long long shot!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo