Peterborough 5k Series Eye

Aim for this race was to get under 17.30 (as far as possible). I know my recent races haven't reflected my fitness but without a proper marker I don't know where I really am.

Get to Eye nice and early, register, toilet and warm up. See Ed, Andy & Rich arriving a bit later and the queues for the registration are getting long.

Nice warm up and drills, legs feel ok and thinking about how I'm going to approach the race. The first mile is net uphill with lots of turns and a footbridge. Half way there's a hair pin and turn back on yourself home. 5k = go out hard, concentrate, hang in and try and rally the last bit.

To the race, we're off and within 80m there is a hard right. People spreadeagle across the road and pavement and I follow the guys in front. Lots of hard turns and chopping pace before we hit a standstill at the footbridge - the gates make it impossible. Over the bridge and then it's a free run all the way to the half way turn. Hit the mile in 5.22 - feel good and confident that I'm about right. Next mile starts fine and I'm moving OK, starting to overtake a few that start far too hard which is normal in a 5k.

Approach the turn and see leaders coming back, next time chaps!! Dig in a bit. Standstill at the hair pin and I know it's easier on the way back.

Mile slows as I hit the wind down to 5:35. About 800m section into wind and Im working hard to catch the guys in front. Catch and sit but pace a third of a mile into mile 3 is over 6/mm. Push on and work hard. Footbridge kills me and I'm digging hard. Finish the mile at 5:40 and a pretty accurate last bit (0.11) @ 5:04 pace seem me home in 17:11 in 8th place.

Best race this year by a long way, certainly improving and thats on the slow side of where I was last year so in the ball park. Big 2 weeks of training now to get sub 17 on the next one at Ferry Meadows. 77% WAVA as well so up where it needs to be, just need to get the longer stuff at a relative pace now !!

Ed ran a pb 17.50 and Rich a tired 17.25. Good day out for the group. Got a few scalps and tee'd a few up for next time. Got to be a pb attempt next time out, just need to keep the consistency up in training now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo