Ironman Zurich #IMCH 2013

Fly out to Zurich tomorrow, the time has finally come to get race ready. When I embarked on this journey last year I think pretty much everyone's reaction was what the fuuuuuuck !!! That's a long way, but as with everything you stick the hard work in and it doesn't seem so bad.

Here's the training log since Jan 1st to give an idea of the work I have put in -

Is it enough? We'll sure find out by about lunchtime on Sunday !!!

Email today confirmed they are not expecting the swim to be wet suit. Considering I'm shite at swimming I'm feeling pretty relaxed about it. If it's tri suit I guess enough people will drop out to make it worthwhile for me. Glad I'm not shooting at Kona this year I'd be proper fuming about it! Not really done enough swimming but tried to cram a bit in this week. Great open water master class with Adam at GreenLight with Rich, Tom, Chris & Ian last night. Practiced drafting and sighting. Felt bit tired as it was 3rd swim in 3 days but getting there. Plan is to draft the whole swim on Sunday, lets see how it pans out!!

Running has been OK. Backed by a decent 5k and couple of good half Ironman runs i'll always be OK unless I properly blow up. We'll start off at a decent clip on Sunday and see how it goes. Bit hot but by the time I get off the bike it's nearly over, just gotta get enough aqua down my neck and eat like a bastard on the bike.

Bike has gone really well. Hills are no longer the enemy and I have a few decent TT's to my name. Think I'll ride it like I stole it and have a proper crack at a decent bike split. God knows what that'll be but thinking to start off in the 20's and see how it feels. Not to worried about the heat just worried about what time I get out the water!

Generally mind and body all OK. Bit worried about back feeling tight after crash but massage with Stevie B tonight should ease that off.

Travel out tomorrow, then it's easy run in the evening and a lake swim Friday. Apart from that I'll be topping up my tan and getting some decent scran down my neck.

Cannot wait to get into the water, been watching people go well for the last year and I've put myself on the line here. Going to fecking #smashit© (that's my saying - Kye nicked it !!!)

Probably last update before kick off so will get the thanks done to everyone who helped get me here. Mr Motivator, running coach & the leader of the #stIvesElite DC, always has a positive spin and always up for a hard run. Mr T on the bike and for the odd run and swim (he's almost as shit as me) - has really bought me along on the bike, especially my TTs. Don't call him secret squirrel for nothing so have to work to get anything decent off him! Josh D for getting me from 2+ mins per 100 in the pool to sub 1.40 - would not even think about starting a non wet suit Ironman without your help bud, and Adam at Greenlight for getting my focus back in the pool and the open water masterclass sessions that have given me real confidence about how to get round safe and sound. Monkey boy for all the banter and running sessions together - same ideas and same master plan on the run always helps. Stevie B for all the manhugs and the brutal massage. Silly bollocks Kye for all the banter, the odd ride and probably the biggest run session after my crash. Andy at work for all the course knowledge, just gutted he couldn't make it 2 in a row. The rest of the St Ives Elite - Mr D - we don't run enough, Brooksy, Ed and the rest of the gang for plenty of banter down the track. St Neots CC, best decision I made in this entire journey to join and Have Dan, Mark, Ade & co for rides and TT's and making cycling not even feel like training. Anyone I have missed I do apologise but please accept my deepest thanks. So many people played a big part in getting me here to even start an Ironman.

Mainly though got to thank my beautiful wife and kids for the support and patience with my training, my mood swings & the early starts. All in the name of the most selfish sport in history!

Thanks does not do it justice.

Soppy part over, cannot wait to smash the granny out of this race then get on the beers !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo