Getting into the thick of it

Less than 13 weeks till Ironman now, things are starting to get serious on the training front.

Not many easy sessions in the diary especially with my run for the way it is!! And things are starting to ramp up over the next few weeks.

So March is nearly done, had one shitty week when I was ill and needed a couple of days off (4 sessions #ouch).

Swim wise I am getting better than ever. A 5.53 400m TT with Adam last week bought my CSS pace down to 1.30. Russ' sessions work around this building fatigue and I'm having to graft to hit the paces by end of the session but it's still getting done. Loving the pool at the minute and I'm hoping that when the lake opens up i'll get much sharper.

The bike has been a revelation. My FTP has definitely increased and I've done a couple of sessions on the road and the numbers are really easy to hit. I've been working on 2 hard sessions building around sweet spot every week and a long ride. Managed to keep the focus and hit every target on these. If things keep going the way they are I may actually be half decent on the bike this year. Whodathunk it !!

Run is still shit in training but not something I ever worry about. Just need to pull my finger out and hit the session times. Race days are always OK. If I get in decent run shape then things could get interesting.

Have gone a bit mad on the kit front for this IM, leaving no stone unturned #triggersbroom. I invested in a front 404 I will run that along with an 808 rear as my tri wheel set up. I think with my lower FTP and low drag that the lighter weight and profile on climbs will really help.

I bought a HUUB Archimedes wetsuit (old one from Swimsmooth) 4:4. My body position is good enough and the new suit is better for the fat legged choppers 3:5 version! It looks fucking small though and I havn't braved trying to get into it yet lol

I've looked a bit into nutrition set up. I think I'll go with the speedfill for it's ease of use. It's not the most aero but I'm able to stay on the extensions. An extension bottle set up doesn't really work as my bars are quite short.

I will run a bento box either on the top tube or the down tube. I may put puncture kit in an aero bottle on down tube if need be.

Not planning a rear saddle bottle set up. Want to keep things as close to TT set up as possible.

That's about it on the kit monkey front!

Looking forward to racing if I'm honest. There's a lot of buff about Matt Bottrill doing tri this year. It's great to see a top time triallist doing tri, however I'm not sure all this #smashthebike split shit is good for the sport. It's left a lot of people divided. Personally I think fair play to him for leaveraging his advantage on the bike but if Joe Jogger starts reading this and going all out on the bike training and fucks the swim / run off it's not going to help them. Bret Sutton sums it up when he says it's Triathon it's not swim bike or run !! Other top cyclists have entered tri and not had anywhere near the fan fare and been much better accepted - Magnus Bäckstedt & Emma Pooley are two and they have already had decent success in the sport. It'll be interesting to see how Matt gets on in the big tris. He #smasheditup on the duathlon but that's not a real sport is it lol !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block