Choosing an Ironman

It's more difficult than you think. To break it down, I guess it's most important to narrow down and group the most important factors... Must be in school holibobs
I have my oldest starting private school, this shit costs enough already without wasting school fees!

Bike course must be flat, negligible wind
Off low power I can ride a decent time on a fast/flat course. I'm happy with a flatter course with less VI climbs as I'll level out my low ftp. Dream scenario for me is 180-190w which I can ride a fast 5hr ish bike split but still be able to run fast (relatively) off the bike.

Easy to get to
We have old & unhealthy parents - last year 5 days out from IM I had to cancel as my mum passed away. Also I'm old and my body is never happy - if it's somewhere tropical it's more likely I won't start, if it's more convenient it'll be easier to get to.

Decent chance of a decent finish
Ideally somewhere I won't be flagging around at the back on page 97 of the results!

So the list I have to choose from is -

Texas
28 Apr 2018
Pro - best possible bike course, timing is good training wise, could make Kona, dream trip
Con - in term time, couldn't take kids

Sweeden
20 Aug 2018
Pro - bike could be perfect
Con - could be a bit late in holidays

Cervia
24 Sep 2018
Pro - flat course, not too far.
Con - term time, very late year

Copenhagen
21 Aug 2018
Pro - bike looks fast but may not be for me.
Con - time, late in the day

Switzerland
29 July 2018
Pro - done it, bike could be fast if paced well, time
Con - expensive to take kids, done it!

Hamburg
14 Aug 2018
Pro - bike could be perfect
Con - bit wanky location

Vichy
28 Aug 2018
Pro - fast bike, location
Con - late in holidays, can be crazy hot

Canada
29 July 2018
Pro - amazing location for a holiday, epic race
Con - bit hilly, bike not up my street

Santa Rosa
May 12 2018
Pro - fast course, wicked location
Con - Term time

Challenge Roth
1 July 2018
Pro - fast, bucket list
Con - full, busy, term time

Outlaw
15 July 2018
Pro - flat, local, not fast field
Con - bit pony

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo