Biggleswade 5k

Make no mistake, I tapered for this and planned to hit it 100%.  Came into it in good shape of a decent block of training,

Sounds like an excuse already lol

Arrived at the track 50 mins before kick off - they moved the start 10 mins forward - unheard of !
It was windy - proper windy.  20mph, no gusts just a constant wind.  The warm up showed what was to come - 7.50/mm pace for the first quater of a mile around the park.  Block headwind stuff.

Felt good still, no problem with the body but honestly would have sacked this off if it was early season.

Race started and sat in early.  3 guys went off the front and we clip the first km in 3.19.  Stay behind, it's a bit messy as it's 200m into wind chopping and trying to shelter followed by 200m strung out a bit and 2 secs faster - kind of like an interval session.  Relax and through 2km in 6.38.

3rd km we're back together apart from one off the front. Stay in 2nd in the pack.  On the straight with 5 to go decide to make an effort to try and make up the gap on the leader (30m) if I can catch and settle in I'll be clear of the bunch and can hopefully nick the win.  Pass 3km in 9.57 feeling strong.  Don't like being behind would much rather be solo so this suits me.

Don't make up much on the wind behind section, settle in for the wind and becomes clear I am exposed.  4 to go.

Another lap of much the same, still 4/5 secs up on the group but working hard.  3 to go and then 1km to go and I am starting to struggle.  3 more times into the wind, just don't have the strength.

600m to go and the group makes the catch, dig in to hold on and get some respite into the wind.  400m to go and 15.33 on the clock.  86 seconds to break 17 mins and I am struggling.  Work hard to keep going then 200m to go focus on trying to keep gap to DC the same.  He took the ride in the group and it's paid off with a 16.46.  Get passed with 10m to go (didn't even know he was gaining otherwise I'd have reacted) and I crawl over in 16.52.  Seasons best.  Bit outside what I wanted (16.45 at least) but in that wind and in that race I'll have to chalk that one up.  The fact I had a crack with 5 to go is also a big plus.  No point wasting that taper.  Death or glory !

So not a terrible end to the track season but not worlds best either.  A solid winter and I might be able to get that down to sub 16.30 by the time it warms up.  We shall see!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo