Full of cold



Last couple of weeks I have not been 100% healthy.  It's an interesting one because it's hard to know when it's worth stopping - because running would cause more damage, or carrying on - because I'm just being a fanny*.

Annoyingly for the last 5 or 6 days it's really just been a slightly irritable itch on the back of my throat that seems 1,000 x worse come bed time when I have the odd coughing fit.  I feel a little under the weather but nothing worth calling the doctor out for.

Run wise, the paces have been bang on.  In fact I keep thinking if I'm running these paces at 80% what will I be running when I am full steam.  Answer - probably no different!

I've had maybe 2 days (edit: 3 days now) where I have had to pull the plug and not run at all because I felt bad, but on the whole I can't really complain about training time or paces.  It's very strange!

When I am ill, I pretty much eat any old shit I want.  I see it as a pay off from hard training and a gladiator lifestyle that I really haven't been living post-injury.  I've basically gone from not training much and eating shit.  To well, not training much and eating even more shit!

I've knocked boozing on the head because I can't really face it - so that's something!  I've also not Park Run because, well, like booze - I can't face it!

Pretty much 6 weeks in the come back now - the training has been consistent at least building from 20 to 30 miles - nothing crazy but a couple of quality sessions per week now being banked and paces improving.  I really do need to Park Run to get a gauge on fitness but this cold has put a stop to that kind of commitment.

Running with cold, I've always seen as you know when you can run.  Honestly.  It's tough because in current training where everything is loose and unstructured it's more likely to just get fucked off.  But in say a marathon build, it's more likely that I would muddle on and hope for the best.

One thing I am doing is wrapping up well.  Tight's, long sleeve and gilet pretty much standard outfit of this winter.  Again, what paces will I run when it's warm, in shorts and vest.  And again, probably the same!

If I had to put a finger on a time at the minute, no illness and a good day I'd say I could run 17.30 for 5k which is a nice spot.  Would be even nicer to have it banked, but at the minute looking like it'll be another 3 weeks or so before I can get out and test the fitness.  First step, like always is to bank a sub 18 min 5k.  Nice and safe, get it done and move on.

Weight was back down to manageable levels on Saturday night - 10 st 11 lbs.  4 lbs down to race weight - at some stage I need to address that, I'm not going to crack 10 mins for 3k chase at an ounce higher I reckon!  But for now, it's still very much rehab and fitness, being patient and not doing anything silly.  Nobody needs to be race fit in February !!

Little diary of the return from illness -

Sunday, storm Ciara really kicked in.  Had considered the treddy for a run but the body wasn't right.  I NEED THIS COLD GONE !!  Must admit there was little motivation to hit the mill, but it felt the right decision.  Ate loads of shit all day.

Monday - took night nurse last night to sleep as the tickly cough had kept me up for a few nights.  Wow, it certainly worked. Solid 9 hours kip, woke up still feeling drowsy.  Feeling better but still not 100%.  Today I will run - very easy and on treadmill - but the main training today is nutrition.  Eat 100% healthy to aid recovery.

Breakfast - 2 eggs on seeded super bagel. Lunch (post run) sausage & beans (tin) plus smoothie (milk, loads of frozen fruit).  Dinner salmon, brown rice & mixed veg.  Snacks soreen bad and natural bar.  Let's see what weight is like tomorrow morning plus more importantly how do I feel!

Felt pretty shite this morning, pretty sure the night nurse wiped me out. Ran about lunch time and felt better as the run went on.  Took ibro this morning (2 doses) and think that's massively helped the sore throat.  The insomnia I've had recently (I use that in the loosest sense of the word) I think hasn't helped the cold.  So tonight I will dose up early on night nurse, get an early night and I think (touch wood) I'll be back to normal tomorrow.

Every silver cloud - running less has given my dodgy hip a better chance to recover.  My old shin issue has completely gone too so in theory there is nothing to stop me pressing on to fitness once I am 100%.

Tuesday - strange. Slept really well. Felt shite all morning.  Felt better as day went on.  Trained on track, very meh session def not 100%.  Felt better as day went on.  Thought of having a beer doesn't fill me with dread so must be improving.

Track session in the evening - very much in the bleugh category. Pace was borderline OK but wasn't quite right. Cold and windy as hell, just didn't have any zip.

Wednesday - really good nights sleep last night, un-Night Nurse-aided which was a bonus.  Woke up with slight soreness but again gone by mid morning.  Weight better in the morning, 10 st 12 lbs so a slight improvement - possibly better diet, possibly less water retention. Will keep up the better eating until Friday anyways. Who knows the holiday shirts may fit !

Last couple of days have only taken ibro - no lemsip, paracetamol based products or cold & flu.  Seems to help the sore throat.

Run wise, 6.4 miles @ 7.17/mm avge feeling OK, just a little track tired.  Still not feeling 100% so god knows I must be in half decent shape to run these times not being clear.

Thursday - woke up felt better, as in nothing wrong with me!  Finally.  Ate healthy all day (that's a relative term) and went out for a run.  Run was pretty pony and HR showed I'm still not 100% but it wasn't a total disaster I guess.  Weight down to 10 st 8 lbs !  Happy days



*No sexism intended - a generic, non specific sexuality fanny if you will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block