Core

2 days of core workouts and strength work and no running.

Feel battered, the body took a hammering with that. Clearly I am not used to this so great news that it's breaking down a weakness.  Fingers crossed this is the missing link that is going to make the difference.

Very tired today's session but aiming to prioritise these for the next couple of weeks.  I'll try running tomorrow, mainly just want to see if I feel better (proper hangover today) in myself and if the hips feel less hammered.

The whole hip / glute chain is the reason behind this.  I did feel less sore around them and also the calf area so maybe, just maybe I've solved something!

Looking at track workouts for speed.  I think it's important not to go silly to start with so the first week I'll 100% be staying in flats and keeping a lid on things.  I'm not really eyeing up track season but I am certainly going to go for indoors all things being well.

In the v45 age group the big targets next year would be -

800m - 2.10 (top 15 UK)
1500m - 4.20 (top 5)
3000m - 9.20 (top 10)
5000m - 15.59 (top 10)
3k Chase - 9.45 (top 3 all time)

Looking at how competitive these age groups still are, those are quite some times to get in the top 10.  Interestingly the quality really tails off after top 50.

The focus up front will be to develop speed.  I'll need to run sub 60 for 400m to convert to 2.10 for 800m but also be capable of 10 x 400m in 68 off 1 min recovery for the aerobic development.  It's not a huge leap to get there, however I will never get there without addressing the issues I have with my weak ass body !!

So frustrating as it is, starting from the beginning is the right thing to do.

The really big issue is getting used to quality over quantity.  The focus is on speed and relaxation rather than running fatigued.  In my head it's so easy to revert to long easy miles, it also helps with the belly!  It's actually going to be a lot tougher for me to do this as it does require some focus on the other areas it's so easy to ignore when you're doing longer distances!

I have to say I am really excited to focus on the shorter stuff. 800m specifically, I ran 2.23 a couple of times last season really feeling I had zero speed but enjoying the races.  I know exactly what and how to do what's needed to do, I just need my body to play ball.

If it is the fact that my lack of core strength causes these issues, I genuinely have no idea how fast I can run.  I was getting to just sub 70 sec 400m reps last year with completely unresponsive legs, it'll be cool if they can get back some of that old speed!

Off this morning for an easy run.  I'll start a proper plan next week.  No abs today as I am suffering!  It's good news because it just shows how weak they must have been to collapse on 2 sessions!

Run -

6.11 miles @ 6:53/mm with 3k @ 6.12/mm in middle

Notes -

Felt bouncier - VO was 7.43 compared to 6.9 at same pace
Form was much better - felt relaxed, legs higher, better range of leg movement
Muscles ached - IT band and glutes rather than structural hip and achillies
Droped 1 heel pad and seemed better
Achillies ached a little but not when pushing pace

On the whole a successful test. Things headed in right direction but I am not counting chickens just yet!

This evening, abs are truely battered from the workouts.  This is strangely a good sign.  Hips & glutes also ache from the workouts and not the running so all positive.  Need to heal really and hope another good night sleep sees things improve.

On a track plan next week.  It's a loose structure that I'll attempt to follow but I am 100% focussing on core and strength still so may drop some.

Mon - rest (stretching and pilates)
Tue - am) shakeout 3 pm) track 
Wed - 5 easy
Thu - 5 easy
Fri - am) 3 shakeout pm) intervals
Sat - hills
Sun - easy 10k

The shakeouts are old school.  The sessions will all be controlled.  Runs shorter but punchier (deliberate). If my body doesn't fall to bits I'll try a month of this style training.  The prerequisite for continuing will be wearing spikes on track  and ability to do (plyos on track).  Exciting times ahead.  Started looking at world vets rankings.  My last season time would rank me just outside top 100 v45.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo