The long way around

Since the 5k TT I've aggrivated my calf / achillies beyond belief.  It's comical that the 2 x 5k TT's have specifically caused the biggest issues since the comeback (comeback #247)

Tuesday I managed (after basically run-hobbling the previous week) to knock out some intervals around Howells Mere. 4 x lap on / off between tempo (5:25/mm) and steady (6:15/mm).  Felt amazing and leg was perfect.

Wednesday things weren't so great and the calf was in bits.

Thursday and an easy 6 @ 7:10/mm feeling relaxed.  Calf not quite right but not that wrong.

Rested up today just to sure things up and I'll put in a decent weekend.  That'll round off 3 disrupted weeks and then I'll start with another block.

The plan for now is to go back to fundamentals.  Build slowly and build a strong base.

I'l lay off the intervals and hard sessions and just build miles in.  The plan is to aim high.  It may need doubles so the pace (or power) will need to be reduced.  I need to build a strong base and stop all those annoying niggles that have been holding me back.

Power wise, I am loving my Stryd power meter.  Got a rough grip on power and it's so much easier to run to than HR as you don't have any lag or drift.

235w basically for an easy run (7.30+/mm) 
265w is around 7/mm
280-300w is steady (low 6s)
330w for 5k - 5:25/mm

It's pretty consistent and easier to 'feel' a given power than cycling.

Run plan needs some thought over the weekend.  I'm not happy about doubling up days but I am not sure how to hit decent mileage without doing that.

The keys of planning I have identified are -
* Long run needs to be a LONG RUN.  Has to be 13+ miles now and easy
* A medium long recovery run (proper recovery) to regenerate.  I used to run with Andy at work for 10+ @ 9/mm and it really helped.
* Doubles - short recovery runs
* A steady or easy depend on feel.  250-285w
* Have a plan, don't just make it up to get miles in
* Use the treadmill - it helps the legs

Off the top of my head, a week would look similar to this 

Mon - am) recovery 4.5 pm) 5 easy
Tue - steady 8
Wed - recovery 10
Thu - am) recovery 4.5 pm) 5 easy
Fri - 8 easy
Sat - 6 steady
Sun - 13 easy

That's just about what it needs to be. Not sure there's much to change at this stage.  If I feel good push on, if I don't go easy.  Recovery MUST be recovery though and that 10 will be key to getting the miles in.

Look OK, just need to make sure I keep up the s&c and stay healthy.  Track is pretty much a write off now.  I will never get to sub 16 off continually bouncing between strains so get strong and push later.  

This weekend the focus is very much on recovery from injury so it'll be all easy and relaxed.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo