Suns Out

Summer season is finally here, after last weeks taper it's time to push on with another stage.

Even though Bedford didn't quite go to plan time wise (official time was 17.00), the old me can't help but be a bit happy to get the win. And from that I'm moving on to train a bit more like my old days.

Risky I know, my old body doesn't really like being pushed but I just need that extra few percent to move on.

There is a big potential in everything last week - it's slightly possible I may have had Covid when I raced. Lola has had it and I've lost a bit of taste today. Hmm. If I was positive it would explain my aching back and hips. If that all fucks off then there is a big chance I'm way fitter than Sunday suggests.

I'll take that either way.

Monday - rest. Been waiting on official results and photos since yesterday but absolutely jack. Lots of stretching this morning and starting to feel a bit better. I was savaged yesterday evening, really hoping that a good sleep and I will wake up bullet proof tomorrow. Plan is 12 x 75/45 @ 19.3 and a shakeout.

Tuesday - and so it begins. Old skool training. Session first up. 12 x 75/45 @ 19.3 kmph. OK this was tough but probably mentally more than physically although I was pretty spannered at the finish. Pace feels just slightly out of reach. I dialled it down to 19.1 on rep 7 and it felt much more controlled so it's doing whats needed. Wore the Takumi Sen. Roughly 3k power which is good although pace still feels too quick for that. Need this session to come to be and become relaxed. Possibly keep this where it is next week and find this pace rather than stretching.

Out for a shake out late afternoon. Just 2 miles of very easy recovery running around the cricket pitch in Cambourne. 

Plan is to do shakeouts regularly and keep the mileage topped up. Next few weeks will be tough adapting but I got to change it to break it.

Plan is to do some quick 200m reps on track on Thursday - this should encourage paces to feel much easier.

Also back on the coke club from tomorrow !

Felt pretty good today. Pace is still lacking but I am starting 5ks at a stronger pace now and I just need the confidence to keep that rolling into the 2nd half.

Wednesday - ache when i get up but settles down. No double today but I will do S&C before running later.

Ended up doing old coke club with Rich & Wayne. 8 @ 7.30s on the nose. Decent run but HR a little high. Legs felt good though 

Thursday - arrive at track. School sports day on - ahh. End up doing the session mixing road and grass. Jog up to old Ramsey Road to warm up then just under 1km at 10k pace (5.40/mm). Jog up to grass and change in to spikes. Do 2 sets of 4 x 200m ish hard with slow diagonal jog back recovery (70 secs ish). The 200s are pretty bang on and between 32 and 35 secs. It's slightly long and on grass so roughly 800m pace. After 4 take a slow walk recovery (3-4 mins). 

Pretty solid start to proper speed work, happy enough and I think I'll progress this session as the season goes on.

Changed into Takumi Sen and jogged back to old Ramsey Rd to repeat the 1km (ish) at 10k pace. Actually felt pretty good. 5.36/mm for this one at more power.

Jogged to cool down rounding up to 5 miles.

Not a bad session to be fair. Would have been much better on track but hopefully next time will manage it!

Thursday - Session day. Headed to track and find a school sports day going on FFS !!! Adapt session to roads and grass. 

1km jog up to Old Ramsey Rd then 1km back (Asics) at roughly 10k effort 335w. Feels a bit bleugh! Jog to car, grab spike (Adidas) and do 2 sets of 4 x 200m ish on the grass field. Slow jog back recovery and a slow walk back for the set. 200s are OK, feels very lactic but first proper speed session this year! Probably about 32 secs for 200m so close to 30s on track. Will find out next week!

After that, legs swimming in lactic jog back to old Ramsey Rd and do the 1km at 10k effort in Adidas Takumi Sen. Power higher but the do feel pretty good.

Cool down to make up 5 miles and then do a very easy shakeout in the afternoon to make it 7 for the day.

The Takumi Sen thing I am debating. I think I'll try them on Saturday at Park Run. Power seems higher but I'll run to feel and HR and see what they offer. They are wearing on me, the 1km did feel a pop and the treadmill sessions are going well. It's easy to fall back to Alpha Fly or the Asics but I think it's time to be brave and test something else lol

Friday - ouch !! Legs shrededed. Did and easy 4 with strides and I was absolutely butchered. Not sure legs will recover for tomorrow. So bloody tired. Out in Birmingham for the Chris Rock concert in the evening and not back till 12.30am then Lola was up at 1 being sick - ahhh. 

Saturday - Suprisingly woke up feeling OK considering I had very little sleep and quads and low back were shredded from training / driving / shite seats at concert. Picked up Ian and headed to Storys. Warmed up OK, and ready to roll.

Bang, quick start and settle in 5th or so place behind someone. Feel pretty solid. 3.18 first km and feel strong. Don't check watch just settle in behind. This continues until about 2 miles when I start to fade. No panic, just switch watch to HR and continue as is. HR 174 - high but not concerning.

Last mile, really REALLY feel shit very quickly. Barely moving. HR stays at 174 bpm. Think about stepping off the course with a km to go. About 5 people come past, I am barely moving by now. Just want this over.

Crawl across the line. Club mate Simon takes 16 seconds out of me in the last km. Completely fried.

Stop Garmin WELL after the line in 17.04 so reclon 17.02. Official result is 17.07 which seems wrong but fuck it. It's shite run either way.

Check data -

Started hard - as normal but clearly something not right. HR hit 173 at 2km and stayed there or above. Possibly something in my system - Lola has had covid and has sickness bug. Couple of late nights, hard training, could be anything but clearly that's not the best i've got at the minute.

Frustratingly as I'm away next weekend I have to stew on that result for a couple of weeks. At least there is some fuel for the fire.

Wore the Takumi Sen, power reads high but I really think they could be quick. Will revert to Asics next race just to be safe tho!

OK, time to think. 17.07 (hmm, was it actually 17.02 ??)  last year I ran shit and I ran 17.45. This year, I'm dissapointed with 40 secs quicker. Not a bad place to be. Need to recover well and rebuild for the next one. Stay fit, stay focussed and trust the plan.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo