Kings Cliffe Open 2 up TT

Wow, what a lesson in cycling today was. A 2 up TT with young Tom, really showed me how much work I have to put in on the bike and where. First up - I am pretty damn happy with how I rode. Tom is only 15 but far stronger than me on the bike so riding in a race with someone better than you is only going to make you feel a bit more shit than you actually are! And in fairness if it had been a 10k running race the boot would have been on the other foot (for now) :)

Downhill and on the flat I held my own. Even on the second lap when my legs were on fire I could still pick up a turn at the front and keep it at a decent clip. What really highlighted the difference today was purely the hills (whats new) and bike handling. Uphill I loose far too much pace, quite simply I am weak. But, I am improving, that was clear on last weeks club ride and recently I've been pb-ing hills. I need to get out and do them - simple fact. In a 12 mile TT you can't be doing 12-13mph on hills you have to smash them. Don't get me wrong, I buried myself twice on the big climb to the lap/finish line I am just not strong enough. The bike handling - today's course was technical. There were 12 turns (6 of them junctions) per lap - or 1 every half mile! I was too slow going in and too slow coming out. Couple that with a weak rider and there is no way I can get near holding steady effort and my power was all over the shop. The average pace was about the same as the 25 mile TT I did which was not easy but again much longer straights. Rich was fairly similar pace to what he did there so that sounds about right

Tom and I finished 4th team out of 5 but only 9 secs off 3rd. Rich and Chris hacked up and 2nd place were well clear so not terrible performance for my first St Neots finish! Rich and Chris really rode well today and big thanks to Rich for borrowing me a St Neots skin suit.

Race HQ was about 5.5 miles from the start and riding back was without doubt the coldest I've ever felt on a saddle. Still cake was good and binned off the planned ride as Ange wanted to take the kids to the cinema (Wreck It Ralph - blinding, watch it!!)

Home after the race, just about managed to limp into the petrol station on the back after running the car on fumes (just like the driver), cinema then 5 mile steady. Wanted to run stead-state not tempo but hold good fast pace. Legs felt good on the first mile at 6.29. Dropped a 6.16 on 2nd mile but legs feeling bit fatigued (not sore just a bit yawny), 6.09, 6.10 and finished with a 5.40 feeling pretty comfortable. Happy with that, sub 31 for 5 miles off a slow start. Last mile felt good and certainly think I could go faster for 5k right now so low 17s for 5k would be a nice season opener.

Scores on the doors for the week -

Swim - 1 mile (very poor total and very poor session) Bike - 97 miles (pleased with this, close enough to ton for me and some good riding in there) Run - 30 miles - on the money. Long time on feet run and some speed. 7:10 avge

9:30 training time which considering I would have put close to 5 hours on the bike today (if I wasn't racing) would have been amazing, so good training and pleased with the bike & run quality.

Onwards and upwards next week, more swim focus and keep the bike / run consistent which means a track session at long last !! Just hope the bloody weather picks up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block