Age Groups are Like Busses

After dipping my toe in the triathlon waters last year - so to speak - I am keen to make a splash this year. I got a taste for racing (which I loved) and set my stall out to enter some bigger races this year. Part of that was getting selected to age group.

I raced the Anglian Standard European Qualifier last September with a hopeful view to getting on the team for Kitzbuhel. I was unlucky that the overall winner of the race was in my age group (no intent to qualify), and pushed my roll down prospects way down the list (needed 10 withdraws).

Expecting bad news I entered the ETU middle in October and with only 21 athletes registered I was hopeful to make the cut.

So, refreshing emails daily from the start of Feb it was great to get both call ups on Monday. OK, the middle was pretty much nailed on and just depended on me stumping up the entry fee. The standard though I have to admit I am over the moon with. It was a tough old qualification age group, I raced as well as I could in the qualifier and I am right up for having a go at it. I got the very last roll down slot (phew) so I am keen to get involved and beat everyone in front of me !! I know AG'ing isn't everyones cup of tea #hecantswim but I really wanted to have my own go at it. Triathlon for me was a pretty lonely place last year, not up front winning but also not at the back just having fun. This year I want to be pushing towards the front of the field just to get a sense of what it feels like.

So, new GB kit all ordered up and it'll be winging it's way to young Tom Stead to get printed up!

Happy days, and just what I need right now as training is in a bit of a lull.

Swim, have not had a chance to hit the pool. Looking like a very early session tomorrow to get me out of jail. I'll stick to the timed 10 x 100 of 2 mins that I stick to when out of shape. Once those are back in 1.30 low territory I'll add in the longer reps and get a TT under my belt before visiting Adam @ Greenlight. Need to be swimming low 23s this year though - huge ask! Long time to go till race day but I'd say I wasn't too bad at the minute maybe low 26 shape.

Bike - looks good, all set up now with race wheels and ready to smash it. Legs however are still coming back. Not done the power sets for a while so need to do 2 of those this week and keep the miles up. Long ride beckons Friday with 1 / 2 longer intervals thrown in to mix it up a bit. Getting there and better weather is going to help. Once marathon is out of the way I'll do a couple of bike focus weeks and that will have me flying. More TT's this year will get me moving, got to nail a sub 60 for 25 miles.

Run - am wading through treacle. Resting up today as back still isn't 100% and need to see Stevie B urgently. Generally though in one of those patches where everything seems 1 min per mile slower than it is. Sure it's just the back and once it eases off it'll be fine. Must admit I am very strong at the minute though and base is very much still there. Had a long consistent run of 40-45 mile weeks and banked 6 x long runs which is most for years. If back eases off and I can kick on with the 8 mile steadies at 6.10 pace again soon I think London will be fine. This season I think just crack on and hit consistent sub 17s at park run has got to be the aim. Run takes care of itself really.

So, training hard and motivated just got to get some speed in the old legs. Have been working some Elivar into the diet and seems to be helping. Fingers crossed now just everything clicks along again as it was October / November time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block