Have a Little ..... Patieeeeennnnnce

Laying in bed last night, was thinking about today's run and hoping I woke up with good legs so I can get the session done.  Then I cast back to the old days when I started my old age return to running fitness in 2009.

Back when I was running solo with no training partners, no advice, no one to impress I thought nothing of running well over 8/mm every day. The plan was simple. Run as many miles as you can and build a huge engine (a-la Hadd).  Guess what. It worked.  The plan was never to run 8/mm every run and call it easy, the plan was to run easy at whatever pace and in a few months easy (by definition on the HR) would be much quicker.

My body at the minute is on the cusp of turning back into a runner.  It's holding on to the fatigue, niggles, aches and pains and fat.  If I stick to the plan I'll push through.  If I start to do things I am not ready for (like the session I wanted to do today) I'll break down ... again.

So today, I won't do the 7.5 mile route with 15 mins @ 5:5x/mm.  It's a session I love and know I *could* hit, especially as I do have good legs this morning.  I'll go and do the 8 mile trail route nice and easy keeping the HR under control.  Then tonight I'll try and keep up with the boy on his 25 min steady run.  Good miles in the bank plus I'll be able to run tomorrow.

April mileage has been 48, 43, 42, 35 which is going to be the biggest month since early 2012! (When I started triathlon). BUT I know I want to get that up to 250 miles per month because that builds me a huge engine, massively drops weight, builds huge amounts of conditioning and prepares me to run quick.

The problem is now I have training partners, friends who look at my training, I don't have race results to back up what I am doing and the proud side of me wants to do sessions that look great on Strava.  And guess what. IT HASN'T WORKED!

I did a blog about #prestonpace in 2013.

I need to become more humble and less proud.  My sessions and training are going to look embarrassing compared to everyone knocking out long runs at 6:30/mm pace.  I won't even have any results to back it up for a while.  And, all with the added bonus of that it may not even work!  But that's running.

This journey is about knowing yourself and what works for you.  If I'm honest I've done too much in recent years of what other people think work.

Since 2014 my best race results have been a 17:36 parkrun, a couple of 82 min halfs, a 2:56 marathon and 2nd fastest AG 10k split in the euro triathlon champs.  A fucking embarasment but here I am worrying about how an 8:30/mm 8 miles looks on Strava !!

So that's me. I need to be patient, get my miles in at MY pace and build the work in when I'm ready.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block