The smell of track

Corby open last night. 1000m in 3.06:9 for 5th place behind Jake (2.55:5 pb). Very pleased with that, was expecting something like 3.20 considering I really struggled with 3.30 avge on my last track session.  Lots more to come - especially weight off !! 

Since the start of April I have buried myself in miles. Aiming to run around 50 per week they have come in at 48, 43 & 42 which isn't too bad and much better consistency than I have had for ages. It's hard work some days and a bit easier others but I'm definitely getting the old runners feeling back.

Most importantly the legs are holding up. There are bad days but I think a combination of weight loss, rehab and conditioning are adding up to more resilience which means I am at least able to get lots of running in.  I've actually only had one rest day in April when I just couldn't get the legs going without aches so all in all a good start.

No cycling helps because the focus is purely on the run and rehab. No backing off or switching it is all or nothing!

The plan is to build base miles until the weight comes right down to under 11 st.  It started at 11st 11lbs and is currently around 11st 4lbs so maybe half way where it needs to be.  Once weight is down there I think the move to more speed and weights will help with track.  Ideally I want to get into 17:30 shape fairly soon. That puts me in shape to a) push on to quick times, 17:30 is on that threshold and b) start to get towards the front end of local races.  Once I am running well I'd like to factor a bit of bike in again but I have to say, I am enjoying being a runner again. Even if it is a slow fat one!

Back to last night, was my first track race in 8 years and only 3rd since 2000 !!  I really enjoyed lining up, especially watching my son go well up ahead and contest the win. The first 200m I was wondering what I had let myself in for as everyone was ahead but I paced it well and moved up into 5th through the race.  Passed 400m in 72 and 800m in 2.28.

Next aim really is Peterborough 5k series. That is where I would like to run well but in the meantime, keep injury free, stay healthy and keep up the weight loss.

Long way to go but every now and then a nice surprise performance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block