I want you to jump on the cape. Make sure you hold on


.. Michael Jordon to Bill Wennington on his comeback.  I want to use this one on DC ;)

Not sure why, but the Last Dance documentary has fired me up.  It's the first time I have ran angry for a long while.  Maybe it's my Dad, not sure but I haven't felt like this since the old (old) days.  I've known even 2010 - 2012 when I ran well, I was missing that ability to really go deep and bury myself.  It's coming back to me.  I'm enjoying the really hard stuff, it's not been like that for many years.  As the anger intensifies so does the ambition.

Monday - kept the rest day on Monday.  Not ideal but good to feel fresher for the main sessions of the week and see if we can increase.  Also feels like I am playing catch up on everyone else for the rest of the week ;)

Tuesday - am was Dad's funeral.  Tough day, nuff said. PM I did the same set as last week.  I know not many people would fancy training after their Dad's funeral but I needed to run and run hard to get my head around everything.  When I was younger it was escapism.  Burying myself in a session is what I needed, and I started digging early.  Same session as last week but lifted the pace.  7 mins at 14 kmph, 1 min @ 10 kmph then into 10 x 60 secs on, 30 secs off.  Round up the run to 30 mins cooling down at 12 kmph.

This week started at 18.5 kmph and lifted .1 through the set. the last one I lifted to 19.6 instead of 19.5 (.3 increase instead of .2) as I wanted to drop the session half way through so wanted to mentally hammer myself for thinking that.  Last week was 18-19 so 0.6 kmph avg quicker.  Legs actually felt good, session is working.  Build each week, shouldn't be a problem for the next one at least.

Wednesday - treadmill again.  Deciding to test if the tready runs pep the legs up a bit.  Ran on Zwift - 8.15 miles @ 6:08/mm.  Was slower than that but faster than the treadmill reading lol.  Zwift does make it easier to stay on it, although I picked an empty route today.  Legs felt little heavy on the run but afterwards they don't feel bad. Was properly hot out so not too worried doing indoor session, had the fan blasting right at me.  

The test for me is to see a) if treadmill runs improve leg speed and make outdoor runs faster and b) does the treadmill reduce load on the legs.

a - I have to seriously pick up pace like I said. Early days but seems promising so far.

b - this really seems to help - 100%.  Legs are not getting destroyed and as I have a fairly serious niggle I am managing (foot plantar) and a niggle that's on the verge (glute / hips) this may be what's needed.  I can do plenty of glute / hip s&c work afterwards rather than double run days.

I'll keep with it for now and see what things look like when it comes to testing on Saturday.

Funny chatting to DC about the snobbery against treadmills with some runners.  Straight away I notice on Strava you get less Kudos for a treadmill run.  It's hilarious, do a 5 min warm up at 10 min mile outside and get Kudos.  Do a fucking brutal 30 min session on the treddy and get less.  Just log in to the Inglebritsens Instagram.  Those 3 boys are all world champs finalists.  They swear by doing all their tempo work on the treadmill. Even on training camps they use the treadmill.  They do loads of work on it.  They're the best in the fucking world.  But 18.30 5k runners turns their noses up at it hahaha you can keep your Kudos and your shit running thanks lol

Thursday - speedwork.  Treadmill again.  Love it !  7 mins warm up at 14 kph (7/mm) few strides and then main set.  Same as last week, treadmill up to speed then jump on and 30 secs @ 22 kmph.  Feet aching in the next% so switched to Peggy Turbos.  Immediately noticed it was more work today.  2.30 recovery.  Session was roughly 8 x 200m off 2.30 walking recovery.  Aim for this one is increase leg speed and as the limit is 22 kmph this will develop into relaxing at 22 kmph.  So for now, take almost full recovery as it's on the speed limit but will bring down recovery to change session to 2 sets of 4 x 30 secs off 1 min recovery when it feels too easy.  For now though the session is great as-is - serves the purpose.  3/4 more weeks before I need to change this one.  8 min cool down @ 12 kph (8/mm).

Short and sharp session but ticking the boxes this week and moving on.

Foot under heel little sore before session.  Perfect during but achey under arch afterwards.  Jogged 2 miles to / from the boys intervals on the trail in the afternoon and the arch was sore.  Stretch & ice rehab on top of all the other rehab to do later !!

Keeping the sessions very focused the only problem is making sure the weight doesn't go crazy.  One thing about lots of mega easy miles is the weight is always under control.  Staying out of the snack cupboard is a session in itself!

Ange bought us all 2 litre water cannisters and they've helped get water intake up.  Too easy to mash 3 or 4 cans of coke a day.  Get through the water before you tart on anything else.  Except coffee.  That shit gets me fired up to go !  (And shit in fairness)

Thinking a lot about friends this week.  Seriously means a lot to me for those that have stepped up recently.  It's been tough.  I think I have focused too much on too many people and probably taken people for granted that deserved better.  My close friendship circle may got a little smaller recently but I've gotta put effort into those that deserve it.  

Second half of the week is pretty cool.  Run with DC tomorrow - 8 @ 7s which is a real test to see if my relaxed easy pace is getting quicker.  Been a long while since I ran with the champ so really looking forward to the catch up.  1km TT on Saturday, see if I have improved since the mile & 1k a couple of weeks back.  Weather's not ideal but I'll hit it as hard as I can.  Will need to either run steady later in the day or run to & from.  Sunday long and easy. Pick a nice trail route and plod round with some tunes.  Aim for 10-12 miles but see how it goes.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo