Make or break

I'm sitting at the stage now where it's easy to start to plateau.  I need to push on, break through to another level rather than getting stagnant and running the same times over and again.

Last year I was more than happy to be here.  Capable of breaking 17 mins for 5k after 7 years of shocking performances.  I was more than happy to just be in that shape and stay there.  This time, I need to go quicker.

The key now is not to start running faster and putting in more and more effort and try to muscle my way to speed. It is being able to run more relaxed at these paces.  Sounds like the opposite of what is needed but in order 

It's the difference between running 5 min mile pace eyeballs out and hanging on, and running 5 min mile pace feeling relaxed like there is another gear.

If I had to pick a target session I would say running my 10k threshold session at 5.3x avg with the downhill 5k in sub 17 for the same HR as last time.  Getting easier at easy and steady paces, running 6.1x pace for true steady runs (as I am always banging on about).

Patience, trust in the plan.  Build at the right time.  I'm not trying to push on, I am looking to continue as is but find things easier and easier to the point I'm feeling like I am not putting in nearly enough effort.

All being well, it may be 2-3 weeks.  Today is a rest day but I could comfortably run today so the volume now is about right.  Next week I want to feel even fresher.

The legs feel Ok today but could certainly do with some TLC so I'll put in some time into rehab and s&c.

Have done a 4 week cycle now of pretty much the same sessions.  The consistency is paying off.  There isn't an awful lot to change in fairness.  Will probably increase the sessions so 6 x 2 mins maybe and 8 x 45 secs at max but nothing crazy.  I don't see any reason to break from the treadmill session yet as the legs are loving those.

The Virtual races (5k & 3k) coming up I will start to rest up before now so I can get a proper go at.  I'd say right now it would be great to go 16.30ish and sub 9.40 if all goes well but those are stretch targets.  Sub 17 and Sub 10 are more obvious starting points!

I'm estimating my VDOT at around 61 so gained a few points over time.  Training paces look about right too which is good.  That needs to get to 65 eventually which is roughly my current mile & km best times as rep pace so again proves the point it's about relaxing at pace not pushing on !!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block