Off on off on

Last couple of days have let the achillies heal a bit and a chance to take stock of running form.

Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon were all run days which in hindsight should have been rest - well maybe 2 of them.  Tuesday I rested as I was mega busy anyways and today I did a tentative jog at Lower Mill.

Decided to scratch the Garmin, I think under the circumstances a break from the watch is a great idea.  So run - walk when it felt the slightest niggle and stretch for probably 3.5 miles around the lake loop.

Pretty successful as there was no limping.  Previous runs have all left me hobbling and my stride has been very much start - stop as the heel strike breaks.  It's hard to explain but in my head running just hasn't been flowing.

Today it was much more relaxed and 'flowy' (is that a word, it should be!!??)

Afterwards I didn't have the usual pains and aches, just still general calf tightness.  Noticeable was a tightness on lower back and hamstrings which I will go to work on tonight.

Touch wood, if nothing falls off over night it will be a resume to training.

The plan, sensible for a change is ... stage 1 - run pain free (and Garmin free), stage 2 - add some pace work - half sessions all under control to get head back in the game, stage 3 - back to full steam ahead #project15.

A bit like Boris' lockdown, if the criteria isn't met we go back a step.  In reality, no chance i'll plough on haha !!

The main thing to come out of this blip for me is a need to change from 'rehab' to 'prehab' and spend more time strengthening to stop getting niggles than dealing with the niggles directly.

I have purchased a massage gun (don't ask) on Monkey Dans' recommendation and on a single 5 min use I can tell this is going to slash hours off of rolling.  It's pretty amazing, a 2 1/2 hour car journey zapped out of my legs and back in 5 mins!

I need to focus in the strength side of things - specifically glutes, hip opening and calfs.  Keep it simple - band resistance work, weighted heel raises and pilates.  

Spending more time here, I need to be capable of bounding - especially if I still want to run 'chase next year.  At the minute I just feel like I am going to collapse if I try to jump off.

So after the big excitement of last weeks TT I am crashing down to earth with what feels like a couch to 5k plan !  Still, if I can run relaxed and pain free I'll be back in the game in no time.  There's nothing on the horizon until the virtual 5k champs in late July so plenty of time to get it back.

Touch wood next update is great news that all is good in da hood.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block