Debrief

There's no two ways, yesterday was very disappointing. I had hoped to go much quicker. But looking back now, the realisation is that actually it wasn't a bad run. I didn't do anything wrong, I just wasn't strong enough.

When I ran 3k chase in 2011 (twice) I ran around 11 mins flat both times. It was shitty BUT looking back I had run 16.49 for 5k around that and was doing decent mileage. Those times all back up what I did over 2k.

The simple fact is that it's not running that's the issue, it's strength.  I hurdled well and I was clean over the water. Those 23 obstacles just took too much out of my legs!

Avge pace per km was 3.34 - so roughly 5 miles / 10k pace on a good day. I had expected it to be 5k pace like it used to be (well, 3k chase was 5k pace) - which was 3.23 (off of Thursday).

So my options are - make my 10k pace my current 5k pace (not impossible) OR make my legs stronger so that steeplechase pace becomes closer to 5k pace than 10k pace.

Both options are viable. My technique is solid, so not a huge amount to be gained there (although there's always some time to be shaved by being more relaxed).

The strength work is probably going to give quickest bang for buck. I can't lay out here how weak I felt yesterday. I literally didn't think I'd make the last 2 water jumps.

I do think I have the key to building that strength, it's just going to take patience and time!

I'm pretty keen to get on with repeating that 2 x 2km hurdles session. That's as specific as you can get!  Possibly add in some hills sessions and do some core strength work.

Also, time to go dark again! I have 1500m next Saturday and then 4 weeks until next race so no excuses not to get a solid and consistent block of training in.

Now the dust has settled I think my plan is pretty solid. I had always intended to do the current race block and then have a month where I can just focus on getting some consistent training in.

I'll train through Saturday's race (as it leads nicely in off a recovery day anyway) but right now I am starting on incredibly battered legs. Main thing is to get back on top of recovery, push forward and start to flow again.

Right now I'm in the gutter but I am looking up at the stars !



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block