Race Week - The Double


It's coming round fast !! No racing for months and months and then 2 in the same week ! I have to say it feels really good to be racing again. I seem to be past nerves and more into the excited stage of my career.

Last couple of races didn't go to plan BUT were consistent (82.xx% WAVA) and I feel healthier and faster than I did back then.

Races are 5k at Olympic Park on the road and a 2k chase at Bury St Edmunds.

I've put in solid work for both. After resting Sunday I ran really solid 10k @ 6.23/mm feeling pretty relaxed on Monday. Plus water jump and hurdle drills. Legs ache today but a gentle shakeout and some stretching and fingers crossed I'll check out a-o-k for tomorrow.  Target is anywhere between 16.45 and 16.59 (I really need to crack 17 so that's the A target)

Saturday I am hoping for around 6.45 BUT really would like to go 6.3x if all goes well. It's a chase so there are a million things that could go wrong but technique is looking OK over barriers and water so far. If it goes well I'll look to do more this year but if not I'll scratch and focus on the flat stuff !

Nice to be into racing mode, summer mode and feeling not a million miles off fit (for me). Strange week working around double races but will probs just run easy Thurs, rest Fri and easy Sunday and then rest Monday where I should be OK to resume training again. Being 46 you never know when you're going to wake up strong as an Ox or weak as a kitten lol.

Going to test the Asics Metasky tomorrow. Ran on treadmill Saturday and the were really low power for pace but still no idea what they will be like outdoors under pace. I'll also aim to run to power. I'll start 350w for 2 miles and then try to lift to 360w all being well. I shouldn't blow up but you never know. Hopefully pace to power relationship will be good !! That should be more than enough to see me go sub 17 but we shall see.

Olympic Park 5k

16.57 - 12th OA

3.19m (Garmin) @ 5.20/mm from 347w @ 171 bpm

OK so the dust has settled. Warmed up a little achey but mainly just nerves. Started about 6th place, settled in early and power was 350w to target. Through first km in 3.09 and actually felt pretty good. The course is quite twisty for 2nd km of each lap. First lap was fine, some 10k runners still on the course but could get from point to point on my chosen lines.

First lap was up in 5.10 on the Garmin. I couldn't check as it was too busy on the course. Also from first mile I couldn't run to power as it was just too busy to keep looking at the Garmin.

Past first lap in 8.20 (I did check there) so knew it was coming up long. But pretty confident I'd go under 17 from there.

Next km I actually ran really well. I got caught by a fast runner and just held in. It helped in the wind but also I started to feel pretty good.

After first km of lap 2 and onto the twisty section it was miles too busy. I had to jump about way off the lines I would run. I was also too tired to pay enough attention so I was making moves to pass lap 1 5k runners and 10k finishers really late. 

2nd mile came in at 5.18 so I did think even with the over distance I was on for a decent time.

Half way through the third mile (there is a big u turn but it's around a circle so not too slowing) I checked and was on 5.21 pace for the mile so I assumed it would stay there. Once you get out of the twists and turn back towards the finish it's a nice long straight. 

3rd mile was 5.34 which means last half mile must have been really slow. Finish the straight and turn for the finish. Switch Garmin screen to time and see 16.35 so I know I have work cut out to crack 17! Finish pretty hard and stop it after the line at 17 so know I am under (16.57 official).

Big improvement from Mallory 3 weeks ago (28 secs) for same over distance on the Garmin (3.19 miles both). I'll take the sub 17 banked as that was A target and a must.

Ran pretty well. There was too much traffic on the second lap and it just threw too many changes of direction in and just made it too hard to keep pace. It's just one of those things. Course is great but it's on an open park and 500+ runners all out on a 1.5 mile loop at the same time just makes too many pressure points.

Started too hard BUT it was impossible to run to power as I couldn't check the Garmin. Can def push on from here, only just starting to get rolling at pace so decent position to be in.

The Metasky I would say are a better wearing, less comfortable version of the adios pro and alpha fly. Not sure I am 100% with them. I'll have a think but they really don't fit into my rotation as they are so uncomfortable at about 5 miles.

Now to recover for Saturday !! In theory I should be able to run 2k chase at slightly faster than 5k flat pace so it will be interesting !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo