Steeplechase - The Return

First chase coming up tomorrow for many years! I returned for a couple of efforts in 2011 but they were pretty horrific and feeble off very little chase training. 

This time, I'm fitter and much better prepared plus it's 2k against 3k so barrier fatigue shouldn't be an issue!

I feel fairly confident but with steeplechase you just never know. Chris from Hunts AC was in incredible shape - looking comfortably 9.2x range - but came in with a disappointing (for him) 9.54. You just never know how you're going to run until you actually race and see where the weak points are.

I have done 5/6 specific technique sessions on hurdles, barriers and water jumps plus a 2 x 5 lap 25 hurdle per rep session. I'm locked and loaded so I don't think it'll go Pete tong BUT as I say. Prepare for any eventuality! If it goes well I'll look to push forward this year with more specific strength work. If not I'll go back to shorter faster stuff.

It's becoming a routine now to lay out my pre race thoughts. Training this week has been solid. Things have improved since I've been feeling healthier and I'm back to running comfortably at pretty decent paces. First week I have said that since December so touch wood all the niggles are behind me and I'm ready to move onwards.

So, yep. Feeling good and fairly relaxed. Little tired from a hard steady run on Monday, race Weds and pushed easy run yesterday but no reason the body shouldn't be 100% ready to rock tomorrow.

Pace wise, I've always taken 3k chase as same as 5k flat (when I was younger) so 6.46 is target from my 5k (3.23 per km). I'll hopefully settle in to that pace early doors. Do nothing silly and hurdle / jump clean.

The outcome..

When expectation and reality are passing strangers !! 

Warmed up and felt really good. Few hurdles pre race - all checkout well. I felt pretty relaxed and ready to run.

Settle in from the off. The youngsters (4 or 5 of them) way ahead and one other vet way behind. Happy days, no traffic. First barrier good, first water jump solid. From then on it's just more and more fatigue. Legs don't ever get going, I'm hurdling well (hurdled every barrier) and water jump is a strain but no panics and everyone is passable. Last 2 I must admit I felt very tired but I just felt sluggish from a lap in. Last lap was around 90.

Not sure what to make of it. Was just a tough day at the office. Can't blame Wednesday's race at all as I felt fine pre-race. If anything I just felt very very weak.

Focus just on getting stronger I think, make sure I get in my s&c focus and maybe add in some hills / hurdle sessions from now.

Finished up with 7.08:60 which is pretty poor. Positive is that technically I was fine. With more strength and speed I'll drill that down but reality is that's 23 secs off where it should be.

1500m on the flat next Saturday so hopefully tick off my sub 4.30 card. Bit worried about announcing targets after that shocker !!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo