Whats Rattling

Finally had one of those runs where it felt like it clicked into place today. First time I've felt relaxed like that for an age. No issues, no concerns just felt really relaxed and cruised without feeling overly tired or stretched. 

Plan was an easy shakeout with Mr Morley which ended up a bit 'steadier' but pace wasn't a problem today so happy with that. First time it's started to feel like it's coming together which is always a bit of a relief once you restart training.

Long way to go yet BUT I have to start thinking practically about what I am doing this year and not get caught in that trap of doing the same routine and getting stuck at x paces. The plan is to continually improve and consistently get quicker as I move towards summer.

Up to 38 miles for the week so far which is where my last 2 full weeks have been so looking closer to 60 than 50 by Sunday which is a positive.

At the moment, I think leg turnover is going to be a huge limiting factor. That was a real shock on Tuesday so the plan is a slow increase in speed on the volume reps and I really need to look at some shorter and faster reps. I'll likely do them outdoors next week just to get a guage on real world pace. I should really add in some strides too. I struggle to get them in at the end of runs so probably worth adding them in to last mile or so of easy runs.

I'm not going to add strength work in just yet - it's possibly a bad move I know but my reasoning is I want to get used to this bigger mileage before I add in any extra fatigue.

In the past few years my longer conditioning has been where I have struggled so keeping volume high will address that. The plan here is going to be based around slowly improving paces and heart rates. I'll keep a longer volume set of at least 25 mins at upper threshold in each week off fairly short recoveries. This should address my mental weakness at holding tough paces from an early stage in a race. 

I do like the longer threshold style run like I did on Thursday - 5 miles of nice fast running. If I can bring paces down I think this is a really good session to throw in. However once my HR gets to 162+ it starts getting too tough whereas at 158ish it feels really comfortable. So there's my zones there. Ideally if I can get this relaxed at up to 10 miles that again is a great session.

Have some races in the diary so depending on what happens next week or so will decide what I do leading in. I'm 50% keep things going, just rest day before and have a crack OR 50% back right off and keep fresh. I really just need a guide on where I am fitness wise and at least I know things won't hot up until June time when it should get quick again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Start of Torun Specific Block