Getting warmer

Nice evening for a tempo tonight. Met up with DC at Goddy and headed off for a warm up. 2 1/2 miles at about 6:50 pace to the start of the frostbite course. Felt pretty good to be fair and recovered from last weeks miles and illness.

Into 4 mile tempo. Started pretty steady and kept it in the 5.3x range. As ever my watch was slower than DC's who got 5.34 for the first mile. Feeling pretty good and keping enough in the bank for the hill !

2nd mile pushed to keep pace going and as you tire about half way in by the pub there is a nice downhill bit. Mile went by fairly quickly in 5.36 still feeling good.

3rd mile and about a quater in hit the hill. Strange here as I started seeing 6.04 pace. My garmin read 5:58 at the end of the mile but I was no more than 6 secs behind DC who got a 5:46. Worked hard up the hill and to be fair I did feel like I was struggling to push myself hard enough. No HRM but only the hill making this tempo effort.

4th mile is bang downhill. This week I took the road and kept the gap to DC consistent. Didn't have to work hard till I got to the bottom of the hill then there is a small climb to the finish. Worked hard. Crossed the 4th mile in around 5:16 but Garmin was out. The race marker (and 4 miles on Garmin last time) is the end of the double yellow lines. I ran a good 5/6 secs past it to make it up and stopped where DC had.

So 22:30 for 4 miles - 5:37 pace which is exactly my last 5 mile race pace. Really happy with that, hills always take a lot out of me and even though it's a real quick last mile downhill I am still not strong. 40 secs improvement on last time I did it so getting there!

Next target on this route is to get below 22 mins, 5.2x pace. Off no speedwork yet that's good going. I think getting the longer runs in and starting doing mile / 3k reps would start really picking this up.

Easy run tomorrow then Tarpley 20 on Sunday. Sunday will be a training run and the plan is to get some miles in either side for some marathon confidence.

Opened the car up a bit on the way home, nice feeling now the weather is getting better. Even had the roof down on the way home from work. Looked like a tosser obviously but who cares !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Canyon Speedmax CF 9.0 Ltd Review

Reboot - It's all about 2024

Progressive Tempo